Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post subject: April Foolishness...
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:49 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 2550
Website: http://kitoba.com
Location: Televising the revolution
I think this is the first year I've ever seen April 1st not celebrated here on the boards... maybe because it fell on a Sunday? I'm sure FB and Wile E were relieved! :zoe:

It also seemed quite muted all over the web. Maybe people are burnt out on April Fool's day jokes.

This was pretty good however:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Columbus&t=8

(by experimentation, I've determined that "t=8" is the magic part of the queryline, in case you want to try it with your own hometown).

Top 
   
 Post subject: Re: April Foolishness...
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:18 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 2631
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
I switched my avatar to Llefser's 'g' for the day and posted to the RS thread but I don't think anyone noticed (except for LobosSolos).

Top 
   
 Post subject: Re: April Foolishness...
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:33 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:09 pm
Posts: 5432
Website: http://grillick.blogspot.com
WLM: jg87106@msn.com
Yahoo Messenger: Giltaras
AOL: Giltaras
Location: Brooklyn, NY
kitoba wrote:
I think this is the first year I've ever seen April 1st not celebrated here on the boards... maybe because it fell on a Sunday? I'm sure FB and Wile E were relieved! :zoe:

It also seemed quite muted all over the web. Maybe people are burnt out on April Fool's day jokes.

This was pretty good however:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Columbus&t=8

(by experimentation, I've determined that "t=8" is the magic part of the queryline, in case you want to try it with your own hometown).

You don't need to play with the url to access the 8-bit mode. It's actually one of the view options, along with Satellite and Map.

Top 
   
 Post subject: Re: April Foolishness...
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:51 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:07 am
Posts: 1484
WLM: sir_knighthawk@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: sir_knighthawk@yahoo.com
Location: Out of my mind, back... never
Well, there was Tiger Direct with their Mini Nuclear Generator I saw a few Facebook status updates that were caused by the day, including George Takei posting about a Star Trek movie that he was going to be in called "Excelsior".

Top 
   
 Post subject: Re: April Foolishness...
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:16 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Posts: 6868
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
It did seem a bit more muted this year than last year, both on the web and off. Not sure why.

Top 
   
 Post subject: Re: April Foolishness...
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:33 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:00 am
Posts: 16202
ICQ: 6954605
Website: http://krellen.net
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
Location: The City in New Mexico
I think it's because we're having one of the longest Lents in history and people are just too tired from all their sacrifices to prank.

Top 
   
 Post subject: Re: April Foolishness...
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:15 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 2550
Website: http://kitoba.com
Location: Televising the revolution
Grillick wrote:
kitoba wrote:
I think this is the first year I've ever seen April 1st not celebrated here on the boards... maybe because it fell on a Sunday? I'm sure FB and Wile E were relieved! :zoe:

It also seemed quite muted all over the web. Maybe people are burnt out on April Fool's day jokes.

This was pretty good however:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Columbus&t=8

(by experimentation, I've determined that "t=8" is the magic part of the queryline, in case you want to try it with your own hometown).

You don't need to play with the url to access the 8-bit mode. It's actually one of the view options, along with Satellite and Map.


It was a view option on April 1st, but I think the only way to access it now is through the query string.

Top 
   
 Post subject: Re: April Foolishness...
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:30 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:09 pm
Posts: 5432
Website: http://grillick.blogspot.com
WLM: jg87106@msn.com
Yahoo Messenger: Giltaras
AOL: Giltaras
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Apparently, it's also a view option once you've opened it once using the query string. Hence my confusion.

Top 
   
 Post subject: Re: April Foolishness...
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:29 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 9819
FreakyBoy wrote:
I think it's because we're having one of the longest Lents in history and people are just too tired from all their sacrifices to prank.


Lent is the same length every year, FreakyBoy. Easter moves, yes, but so does Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent; and the date of Ash Wednesday is derived directly from the date of Easter so that Lent is the same length every year.

I haven't pulled an April Fool's joke for years.

Top 
   
 Post subject: Re: April Foolishness...
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:02 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:00 am
Posts: 16202
ICQ: 6954605
Website: http://krellen.net
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
Location: The City in New Mexico
CCC wrote:
FreakyBoy wrote:
I think it's because we're having one of the longest Lents in history and people are just too tired from all their sacrifices to prank.


Lent is the same length every year, FreakyBoy. Easter moves, yes, but so does Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent; and the date of Ash Wednesday is derived directly from the date of Easter so that Lent is the same length every year.

Stop giving it away.

Top 
   
 Post subject: Re: April Foolishness...
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:28 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:07 am
Posts: 1484
WLM: sir_knighthawk@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: sir_knighthawk@yahoo.com
Location: Out of my mind, back... never
CCC wrote:
FreakyBoy wrote:
I think it's because we're having one of the longest Lents in history and people are just too tired from all their sacrifices to prank.


Lent is the same length every year, FreakyBoy. Easter moves, yes, but so does Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent; and the date of Ash Wednesday is derived directly from the date of Easter so that Lent is the same length every year.

I haven't pulled an April Fool's joke for years.

And that also determines when Mardi Gras is. And just in case you're wondering, Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox.

Top 
   
 Post subject: Re: April Foolishness...
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:36 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat May 25, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 2341
Location: Smack bang in the middle of Europe
I noticed this article in the Guardian about Shaun Ryder becoming the government's new adviser on social class, and this Physics article on methods for calculating how many gods the universe should have, but nothing particularly good.

Top 
   
 Post subject: Re: April Foolishness...
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:34 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 3096
AOL: drachefly
Location: Philadelphia, PA
John Scalzi did a followup to last year's "The Shadow War of the Night Dragons, Book One: The Dead City", which is still amazing as ever.

Let's just say, it would be impossible to put that in the 'Bookerdash' game by its present rules without violating fair use.

Top 
   
 Post subject: Re: April Foolishness...
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:04 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 2993
LobosSolos wrote:
Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox.

...as calculated in the ecclesiastical calendar, that is. Astronomically, Easter does not necessarily fall on the date described. The calculation of when Easter falls is referred to as computus and is somewhat involved procedure. To complicate things, the algorithm used depends on which ecclesiastical calendar you use, as Eastern Orthodox Easter uses a Julian calendar, as opposed to the Gregorian calendar used by Western churches for their Easter calculations. Fun stuff. How about we just make our lives easier and pin it on the first Sunday in April, folks?

Top 
   
 Post subject: Re: April Foolishness...
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:27 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:29 am
Posts: 767
WLM: serena_fangz@hotmail.com
AOL: nightflyer87
Location: on top of a heap of dead spammers
AlternateTorg wrote:
LobosSolos wrote:
Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox.

...as calculated in the ecclesiastical calendar, that is. Astronomically, Easter does not necessarily fall on the date described. The calculation of when Easter falls is referred to as computus and is somewhat involved procedure. To complicate things, the algorithm used depends on which ecclesiastical calendar you use, as Eastern Orthodox Easter uses a Julian calendar, as opposed to the Gregorian calendar used by Western churches for their Easter calculations. Fun stuff. How about we just make our lives easier and pin it on the first Sunday in April, folks?

I support this 190%. Mostly because it means I wouldn't have to share another birthday with Easter ever again.

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: