Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:05 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
a Real answer for inspy instead of forbidden pc/linux/mac debates...

Close the file.
Open Word 2007
file > Open
Select the file. DO NOT DOUBLE CLICK TO OPEN YET.
next to the Open button down below there is a down arrow.
Click on the arrow next to Open.
Select "Open and Repair"

Search and Replace should work fine from there on.

Personally Using Office 2007 isn't much different than 2003. For the most part the commands are all the same, and they're laid out much more ergonomically in the ribbons instead of hidden 3 layers deep into menus and popup windows. Once you get used to 2007 it's a LOT easier.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:35 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Okay, so my husband and I are considering starting a podcast. Now, I've looked up various casting services, and how-tos, but I'm still in a muddle as to which editing service would be best for our needs. There are SO MANY. I know we need something free, something that allows us to publish on Wordpress easily. Anyone have any familiarity with the mechanics of podcasting?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:32 am 
gregnier wrote:
a Real answer for Kea instead of forbidden pc/linux/mac debates...

Close the file.
Open Word 2007
file > Open
Select the file. DO NOT DOUBLE CLICK TO OPEN YET.
next to the Open button down below there is a down arrow.
Click on the arrow next to Open.
Select "Open and Repair"

Search and Replace should work fine from there on.

Personally Using Office 2007 isn't much different than 2003. For the most part the commands are all the same, and they're laid out much more ergonomically in the ribbons instead of hidden 3 layers deep into menus and popup windows. Once you get used to 2007 it's a LOT easier.

Er what? I don't think that was my question.

[shhh.. it's all right now.. when i posted that i hadn't had my coffee yet. -G]

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:56 am 
Yahoo Messenger: Giltaras
AOL: Giltaras
Kea, you should know by now that greg thinks you and inspy are the same person. :torg:

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:57 am 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
Someone thinks I'm like Kea? *flattered*
[coffee.. or more importantly, lack thereof... had a part to play in that post. ;) -G]

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:59 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
weatherwax wrote:
Okay, so my husband and I are considering starting a podcast. Now, I've looked up various casting services, and how-tos, but I'm still in a muddle as to which editing service would be best for our needs. There are SO MANY. I know we need something free, something that allows us to publish on Wordpress easily. Anyone have any familiarity with the mechanics of podcasting?

I can suggest asking this question at the Smart Enough to Know Better forums. I know the guys there are helpful and would have answers on this topic.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:36 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I asked the guys and they said they roll their own but they've heard good things about podbean.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:39 pm 
Lovely. Thank you muchly.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:43 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
I can't say a thing about podbean from a podcast-creation standpoint, but as a listener following podbean-created podcasts I've never had an issue.

I said "pod" way too many times there.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:44 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
*Gasp!* Inspy's a pod-person!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:29 am 
Calling any statisticians! I'm editing a paper for work, which contains a paragraph like this:

Quote:
Inland flooding also occurs as a result of heavy rain. More than 1,700mm of rainfall on average (80% of annual rainfall) is recorded from May to September during the typhoon season. The Hong Kong Observatory (HKO) noted that the return period of intense rainstorms of over 100mm/hour has shortened from 37 years to 19 years over the last century (See Table 1). In the last decade, the HKO also recorded that the intensity of short-term (hourly) heavy rainfall has increased from 110mm to above 140mm. However, as the period of record (from 2000 – 2010) increases, the probability encountering a higher value from an unchanged distribution (from 1970 – 2000) also increases. Therefore, both the peak intensity and frequency of intense rainstorms has increased.

I do not understand the sentence in bold at all. The rest of the paper was riddled with serious grammatical errors. I think it was suffering from "too many cooks" syndrome, where at least some of those cooks did not speak English as their first language. So I am unable to tell if my inability to make sense of this sentence is a result of
a) Serious linguistic mangling, or
b) My insufficient sciency-ness.

So, I have decided to ask you sciencey people to eliminate option b. Does this sentence
a) make sense to you
b) fit with the rest of the paragraph?

I cannot contact the author at this time because she has gone to a conference.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:58 am 
Very wild guess:

The longer the period you watch, the better the chance, that it has heavier rain, then happened between 1970 and 2000.

Which would be rather obviously true (in a longer period, there is more chance, that the worst rainstorm of the century is in it). Does it make sense in the overall context?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:28 am 
Kea wrote:
Quote:
However, as the period of record (from 2000 – 2010) increases, the probability encountering a higher value from an unchanged distribution (from 1970 – 2000) also increases.

I'm in agreement with arcosh here; I think that what the author is trying to say is that the rainfall distribution from 1970-2000 is fixed; you're not going to wake up tomorrow and discover that the heaviest rainfall in the 1970-2000 period suddenly got heavier (assuming, of course, no access to time machines). However, if you wake up and it's raining, you might find you're in the middle of the heaviest rainstorm yet to hit in the 2000-2010 period, and have to note down that the heaviest rainstorm of that period is thus heavier than it was yesterday.

I'm also of the firm opinion that there's a little bit of element (a) in there as well; I personally think that it would be a whole lot clearer if that 'from' was replaced by a 'compared to'. (At least, if I'm right about what the author is trying to say, then it would be clearer.)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:37 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
It's a nonsense sentence that, best I can tell, is trying to say that recent years are rainier than past years, and the past ten years has been breaking records compared to the previous thirty. But it really is nonsense, and the author should take another stab at the meaning because only the author knows for sure what was trying to be conveyed.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:11 am 
Kea, when in doubt, go ask the author if you can. Cause that sentence is all kinds of wha...? And the last thing you need is someone coming down on you for "changing the meaning."

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat