Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:26 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
I believe it's maintained by Kaspersky. And rather difficult to actually track down on their site. An article on it (with working links for download and Kaspersky's instructions for use) is here.

Having directed you to that, I should point out that you may not have a TDSS rootkit...TDSS is one of the bigger rootkit cores out there, but not the only one. Still, it can't hurt to try.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:52 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I believe that got it. I'll be sure to burst into tears and come running straight here if I have any other computer related woes. Thanks guys.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:42 pm 
WLM: SolaraHanover
Yahoo Messenger: LadySolara
AOL: SolaraHanover
Location: Under my desk hiding from the rabid puffin dingoes who are breaking down my door.
Ok... so, my laptop completely died the other day... hard disk is fried, and the motherboard is melted to the other components because it ran so hot. I have access to a desktop computer that's kinda old... How old? The system restore brings up Windows ME. I have a XP upgrade disc, BUT the vid card is coming up with an error when I boot, therefore the XP disc won't let me install it... it's a Nvida Geforce2 MX. Any suggestions? The PS2 mouse port isn't working properly either, but that's no biggie b/c all my mice are USB. I'm posting from that computer now, but it's REALLY ugly, and I'm having to use IE until I can upgrade Windows. *sigh*

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:14 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
ME shouldn't be upgraded. You should do a clean install. ME really is just utterly horrible. It's the worst OS Microsoft has ever released.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:11 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
ME is practically a boat anchor.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:25 am 
WLM: SolaraHanover
Yahoo Messenger: LadySolara
AOL: SolaraHanover
Location: Under my desk hiding from the rabid puffin dingoes who are breaking down my door.
I am aware of these things... ESPECIALLY since THERE'S NO FLIPPIN' WAY TO ACCESS THE DOS PROMPT!! Which means formatting and reinstalling my full version of '98 is a huge issue. *sigh*

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:23 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: jorodryn
Location: Well since the universe expands infinitely in all directions, The center of the universe.
I never had any issues with ME. I think I may be the only one though. It seemed to work fine on my computer.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:15 pm 
Alright, here's one for the more computer-savvy people out there. I have a Mac running the latest version of the software. A few nights ago I was using the Internet to wath YouTube and the next page I tried to load gave me the "you aren't connected" message. I tried again and his time it said it couldn't find the server. I reset the wireless hub and it didn't work. No one else in the household is having this problem, it's just me. The Internet still works fine, I'm posting his from my iPhone using our Internet (not the cell data network, I made sure) so it seems like it was laser-guided to my machine. I know it's not any update I installed, as it cut out right in the middle of a browsing session. It's not the kind of computer either, because someone else in the house uses a Mac as well. Since I still can get on with my phone it's only been an inconvenience until now, but some of my classwork requires being online and doing some of the stuff is a little hard with an iPhone. Advice anyone?

End of Line.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:54 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Well, first, some troubleshooting...

I assume that the "You are not connected" message is the one Safari displays when you, well, aren't connected (or are you using something else for a browser?). The nice thing about that is that you have a nice button right below it to enter a network diagnostic application.

Could you perhaps run the diagnostic let us know which of the Network Status indicator lights were green, yellow and/or red?

Second, are you using ethernet or wireless? Perhaps you could try the other one and see if it works.

Third, there's always the old stand-by of using the Disk Utility to repair permissions on your hard drive (and optionally rebooting). That often fixes problems you wouldn't expect. On the other hand, with networking, there are many things that could go wrong...which is why the diagnostic is probably the best first step to help narrow the potential sources of the issue.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:18 am 
I have question!!!!
K, hyperness aside, when do I get to use a signature?
I like signatures...this site says I can't have one.
I know I'm new, is it something to earn? :kiki:

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:22 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Sashah wrote:
I have question!!!!

The other helpful folks will correct me if I am wrong but I believe the answer is never. I am given to understand that bandwidth constraints and just plain ole' "it's a hassle" reasons are involved.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:26 am 
chaosman wrote:
Sashah wrote:
I have question!!!!

The other helpful folks will correct me if I am wrong but I believe the answer is never. I am given to understand that bandwidth constraints and just plain ole' "it's a hassle" reasons are involved.

Ah, that does make sense I guess.
Thanks for the prompt reply, that's nifty. :D
I believe I shall like it here indeed. :kiki:

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:14 am 
Many people use their 'Location' field for the sort of pithy comment that can often be found in signatures.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:49 am 
True, I shall have to consider trying this. :kiki:

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:49 pm 
AOL: da drumber
Location: Probably drunk somewhere. Likely in Northern Virginia or somewhere nearby.
Not sure how simple this will be, but here goes.

About a month ago something went wrong with my computer. Every scan I did came up empty, so I reinstalled windows 7. Managed to get it right on the second try. Now things seem to run well enough except every time I try to record (using Fraps btw) I get this really annoying bug. The game will freeze and the last quarter second of sound will stutter until it unfreezes. This also severely desynchs the audio in the video I'm recording. The only other time this happens aside from recording is during loading screens, so I'm wondering if it's having trouble reading/writing to disc. I figured I might as well see what I can find out here before sitting on the phone with tech support for a few hours.

I should mention, restarting seems to help, but not consistently, and the last time I talked with tech support they had me take out the battery, unplug my machine, and hold down the power button for a solid minute. It worked, but only temporarily.

I can link you to videos I recorded while this was happening if need be, but I should definitely mention that they contain a ton of foul language.

Oh, and I honestly think that all I really need to do it open it up and blow it out, but of course I can't do that because it will void the warranty. :bert: :bert: :bert:

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat