Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ] 

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:30 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Skinny Jeans have no appeal to me. Sure tight around the rear has some visual appeal but the whole tight leg look just doesn't look right to me.

Ok new rant. My co-worker at the very next desk was never taught to eat with his mouth closed. Opened mouthed chicken mastication is not conducive for a happy work environment.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:56 pm 
Steave wrote:
Ok new rant. My co-worker at the very next desk was never taught to eat with his mouth closed. Opened mouthed chicken mastication is not conducive for a happy work environment.

Now that's not a pet peeve, Steave, since that's just universally acknowledged as being disgusting. I think the vast majority of the population is with you on that one.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:40 am 
AOL: da drumber
Location: Probably drunk somewhere. Likely in Northern Virginia or somewhere nearby.
baconbotsforever wrote:
Steave wrote:

Now that's not a pet peeve, Steave, since that's just universally acknowledged as being disgusting. I think the vast majority of the population is with you on that one.

I'd agree with this one fully if it weren't for my friends who have horrid allergies. I suppose that since they need to breathe...

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:50 am 
People who refuse to learn how to use computers! I've worked in the same place for three years now (god, that's depressing), and there were computers here before that. Nevertheless, my boss will still ask me every day how to get to the same folders, and prove incapable of finding them in an alphabetical list until I point. She has a degree in pedagogy for god's sake! We had alphabetical lists before there were computers.

Yes, yes, yes. I know that I got a computer as a teenager, while they never used one before their thirties, so it all comes much easier to me. Nevertheless, there are limits to what I'm willing to consider reasonable ignorance. I've never sat behind the wheel of a car, but if I tried to learn and still hadn't grasped which pedal was the clutch after years of lessons the instructor would be justified in considering me an idiot, regardless of age.

And, while we're on the subject of fashion - shops who arrange their merchandise by brand, instead of by what it actually is. The big department store that Tesco own in the centre just did this, and it's deeply frustrating. If I go in wanting a pair of combats, I want to be able to walk to the men's combats corner and compare them all side by side. I don't want to do and look at the Old Navy combats, then the Levi's combats, then the Adidas combats and so on and so on

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:11 pm 
AOL: Surgoshan
Funky Honky wrote:
baconbotsforever wrote:
Steave wrote:

I'd agree with this one fully if it weren't for my friends who have horrid allergies. I suppose that since they need to breathe...

Small bites, dude. Not only can they avoid the nastiness, but smaller bites means they get full faster, hence eat less, hence have less difficulty with calorie control.

caffeine wrote:
People who refuse to learn how to use computers! I've worked in the same place for three years now (god, that's depressing), and there were computers here before that. Nevertheless, my boss will still ask me every day how to get to the same folders, and prove incapable of finding them in an alphabetical list until I point.

Write it out for her on a piece of paper that you then tape to her computer. After that she no longer has an excuse to use you as a crutch and begins to figure it out for herself.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:26 pm 
Surgoshan wrote:
Small bites, dude. Not only can they avoid the nastiness, but smaller bites means they get full faster, hence eat less, hence have less difficulty with calorie control.

I always thought that was an old wives tale, but in looking it up on the internet it actually appears to be true.

Which really sucks because I don't like eating cold food that's supposed to be hot, which is what even the hottest food is after 20 minutes on the plate. Maybe I should start eating a bit slower, especially since my wife is a slow eater so it's not like I'm going anywhere until she's done anyways.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:32 pm 
AOL: Surgoshan
It's not really that you get full, as your stomach is somewhat flexible and if you eat fast you can fit in as much food as you want.

It's more that the sensation of hunger is triggered by low blood sugar, and if you eat slowly, your blood sugar goes up and the desire to eat goes away. Hence, "full".

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:42 pm 
Location: Probably drunk somewhere. Likely in Northern Virginia or somewhere nearby.
I might have mentioned this before, but I think it bears repeating: People who can't be bothered to hold the door for you

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:53 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
baconbotsforever wrote:
Which really sucks because I don't like eating cold food that's supposed to be hot, which is what even the hottest food is after 20 minutes on the plate. Maybe I should start eating a bit slower, especially since my wife is a slow eater so it's not like I'm going anywhere until she's done anyways.

I've never thought about this before, but I suspect that's why the plate your food comes on is so hot in some restaurants: maybe they heat up the plate before they put the food on it so that it keeps your food warm longer.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:55 pm 
AlternateTorg wrote:
baconbotsforever wrote:

I've never thought about this before, but I suspect that's why the plate your food comes on is so hot in some restaurants: maybe they heat up the plate before they put the food on it so that it keeps your food warm longer.

Unfortunately, that's probably not the case. From my experience waiting tables I can tell you that 9 out of 10 times, if your plate is hot it means it was sitting in the window for a prolonged period of time and your food is only warm because it's been sitting under heat lamps.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:30 pm 
Surgoshan wrote:
Write it out for her on a piece of paper that you then tape to her computer. After that she no longer has an excuse to use you as a crutch and begins to figure it out for herself.

But then he'll have to update the paper list every time she creates a new folder, and that's just a whole new barrel of nematode thingies.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:03 pm 
Funky Honky wrote:
AlternateTorg wrote:
baconbotsforever wrote:

Unfortunately, that's probably not the case. From my experience waiting tables I can tell you that 9 out of 10 times, if your plate is hot it means it was sitting in the window for a prolonged period of time and your food is only warm because it's been sitting under heat lamps.

That isn't my experience as the guy who used to put the stuff on the plates; the kitchen I worked at the plates are kept on a warming shelf for that very purpose, so that the plate keeps stuff warm from the bottom and the heat lamp helps keep the top warm. Mind you, I worked at a slightly nicer restaurant too.

The other reason for that is quite frequently that the restaurant doesn't have enough plates for when it's busy, or the dishwasher can't keep up, so the plate you're eating off of came out of the 190F+ degree dishwasher a few minutes ago. That's the usual cause of the server having to warn you about a super hot plate as opposed to a warm but not stupidly hot plate. Yet another reason why my dad (a Canadian Chef de Cuisine) can grab ridiculously hot things with bare fingers; he's used to it. Me, I run a torch at my radiator/automotive shop probably at least one hour a day and have a fair resistance to burns at this point.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:09 pm 
Oh, you know, that reminded me of an old pet peeve from my cooking days: People who come into a restaurant at like 10 minutes before closing and order food that takes at least 20-30 minutes just to cook, much less eat. And they wonder why everyone seems a bit crabby... I never enter a restaurant with less than 45 minutes left to closing time.

I remember the cook I was working with throwing a frying pan across the kitchen one night when we got an order for a well done 12oz New York steak at 10 mins to closing. I think he had a date... with a bottle of Tequila. I told him I'd look after it and to take off on time. One of the hazards of being the boss' son with a heavy streak of "I'm gonna prove I got this job on merit not nepotism."

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:16 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: Giltaras
AOL: Giltaras
I used to work at a short-order restaurant, and we kept our plates for hot dishes hot, and our plates for salads cold. I don't think the "status" of the restaurant affects it.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:27 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I would have thought 'closing times' would have taken that into consideration. Not that I'd order that close to closing anyhow. I like to take time with my food and relax for a while afterwards. Possibly with beverages or desert.

Which reminds me of another peeve. If I am sharing a meal with you, don't think that just because I haven't finished my firsts before you've finished your seconds that I don't want seconds and you have the right to finish it all!

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ] 

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat