Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ] 

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:41 pm 
Funky Honky wrote:
People who can't be bothered to hold the door for you

This is a tricky one. Obviously if someone's right behind you, you should hold the door, but what if it's a long corridor and someone is ten metres behind you? How about fifteen? I don't want to make people run out of politeness to accept my door-holding offer. What if it's a door on a stairwell and I hear people walking upwards? Maybe they aren't coming to this floor and we'll both feel awkward. Doors should be banned.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:30 am 
I thought most restaurants called out "last order" a half hour before closing time, and wouldn't let more people in too close to closing.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:59 am 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
srimech wrote:
Funky Honky wrote:

This is a tricky one. Obviously if someone's right behind you, you should hold the door, but what if it's a long corridor and someone is ten metres behind you? How about fifteen? I don't want to make people run out of politeness to accept my door-holding offer. What if it's a door on a stairwell and I hear people walking upwards? Maybe they aren't coming to this floor and we'll both feel awkward. Doors should be banned.

My personal rule is that if the door is going to be closed by the time they get there, then let it shut. Otherwise, hold the door open for them. That way, they aren't having to push against a closing door, which requires more effort to open than a normal, shut door.

That said, I have been known to open doors and hold them for people even quite aways behind me... but that's usually when I'm in a good mood.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:07 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Kea wrote:
I thought most restaurants called out "last order" a half hour before closing time, and wouldn't let more people in too close to closing.

Not anywhere I used to work. I remember on certain nights praying that no one would come in right before closing. (Some places took closing at 10 to MEAN closing at ten. Come in at 9:59? Lucky you, you get to eat.) It used to be one of my pet peeves, actually, when I waitressed, because those late-comers effected EVERYONE. The cook had to stay late to re-do his clean-up job, the waitress had to stay late to both wait on the customers and clean up after they were gone, the dishwasher had to stay late to wash their dishes and clean up after the dishes were washed. Essentially, a whole skeleton staff was there to accommodate just those customers, and we were working on their time.

Sometimes the customers would notice and be embarrassed to see us just standing around, politely waiting for them to finish. They were typically quick to eat and go, or even asked for their food to be in to-go containers. Other times, the customers were willfully oblivious. I remember serving one couple up to an hour and a half after close. It was me, the manager and the dishwasher at the end, just waiting, and the manager didn't have the cajones to ask them to leave. And as I recall, they tipped poorly as well. $2.13 an hour plus a lousy tip. What a waste.

Man, I'm glad I don't wait tables anymore!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:53 am 
Try working at a hotel restaurant with a whole bunch of temp workers in the hotel for the local pulp mill's yearly maintainance shutdown, all of whom are on a "company pays for everything except booze" allowance ordering 12-16 oz steaks with lobster tails on the side at 15 min to closing. They don't tip... AT ALL. Never. It might have something to do with the fact that a 10% tip on their ridiculously inflated bill is enough to get dinner at the Mickey D's all on its own, but still... the waitresses just loathed these guys. Also, since they were away from home (and their wives) they tended to annoy the more attractive girls a bit more than average.

Those guys were always sort of a love/hate thing with the hotel. The owners loved it, because the company was shelling out major amounts of cash, but everyone who had to deal with it hated it with a passion.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:18 pm 
AOL: da drumber
Location: Probably drunk somewhere. Likely in Northern Virginia or somewhere nearby.
Ruan wrote:
srimech wrote:
Funky Honky wrote:

My personal rule is that if the door is going to be closed by the time they get there, then let it shut. Otherwise, hold the door open for them. That way, they aren't having to push against a closing door, which requires more effort to open than a normal, shut door.

That said, I have been known to open doors and hold them for people even quite aways behind me... but that's usually when I'm in a good mood.

Yeah, I usually set limits when holding doors for people too, but there are so many different variables that it sure can get confusing. For instance, both of the doors to my office are locked and require a key card to get in, so I'm willing to hold those doors longer than I would otherwise. On the other hand, if there are stairs involved I'm far less likely to hold it just so whoever it is doesn't feel obliged to come bounding up the stairs 2 at a time to relieve me. But when that jerk who went through the door right in front of you doesn't bother to glance over their shoulder to see if there's anyone there it just irritates the heck out of me. I ALWAYS make a mental note to remember their face so that I can later look them in the eye before closing the door behind me when the situation is reversed.

baconbotsforever wrote:
I remember the cook I was working with throwing a frying pan across the kitchen one night when we got an order for a well done 12oz New York steak at 10 mins to closing.

Along these lines I just loved when people would order something well done and then get irritated when their food takes more than 10 minutes. It's of course the server's fault...

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:44 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: Giltaras
AOL: Giltaras
Funky Honky wrote:
For instance, both of the doors to my office are locked and require a key card to get in, so I'm willing to hold those doors longer than I would otherwise.

In this situation, I would be less likely to hold doors for anyone than when the doors are unlocked. I don't want to be responsible for hooligans getting in.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:21 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
Grillick wrote:
Funky Honky wrote:
For instance, both of the doors to my office are locked and require a key card to get in, so I'm willing to hold those doors longer than I would otherwise.

In this situation, I would be less likely to hold doors for anyone than when the doors are unlocked. I don't want to be responsible for hooligans getting in.

Likewise. I have actively refused to let people follow me through a door - we've had theft problems before (included, before my time here, someone walking out with one of our servers.) I don't expect people to hold doors for me, and I return the favour to others.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:22 pm 
AOL: da drumber
Location: Probably drunk somewhere. Likely in Northern Virginia or somewhere nearby.
FreakyBoy wrote:
Grillick wrote:
Funky Honky wrote:

Likewise. I have actively refused to let people follow me through a door - we've had theft problems before (included, before my time here, someone walking out with one of our servers.) I don't expect people to hold doors for me, and I return the favour to others.

I do generally recognize them as people who work here before I hold the door for them. I'm not THAT stupid.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:27 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
FreakyBoy wrote:
Grillick wrote:
Funky Honky wrote:

How do you get away with a server?!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:41 pm 
Kajin wrote:
How do you get away with a server?!

The same way all great thieves get away with things: act like you're supposed to be there and supposed to be taking it somewhere.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:43 pm 
AOL: AxelFendersson
Stick it under your coat? Servers aren't necessarily particularly large machines.

Or just walk out with it under your arm. As long as you look confident that you know what you're doing, it's surprising what you can do before people stop leaving you to get on with it.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:55 pm 
I'll note that, before 9-11, I could get on the local military base by acting like I had a pizza to deliver there.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:03 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
We had a theft at my work a while back. A couple of young guys just went through the building and into offices, taking stuff in broad daylight. If they encountered someone, they'd just act like they're looking for a job and leave. What's funny is one guy got some stuff from our office while the other guy was encountered. That guy wanted to be convincing and so, stupidly, gave his phone number. Once we knew what had happened, we had a nice little chat with his dad, who verified his description and apparently wasn't terribly surprised that he was up to no good.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:01 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
AlternateTorg wrote:
We had a theft at my work a while back. A couple of young guys just went through the building and into offices, taking stuff in broad daylight. If they encountered someone, they'd just act like they're looking for a job and leave. What's funny is one guy got some stuff from our office while the other guy was encountered. That guy wanted to be convincing and so, stupidly, gave his phone number. Once we knew what had happened, we had a nice little chat with his dad, who verified his description and apparently wasn't terribly surprised that he was up to no good.

That has gotta take a serious set.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ] 

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat