Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:06 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
baconbotsforever wrote:

Ok, ok, maybe it was cliche... but it's the truth. I severely lucked out, guys.

Dude....those guys may be bustin' on you but I liked it. Alot.

Pre-rant disclaimer: The posts on this topic do NOT merit this rant. They did bring it to mind though.

Rant:
I might be getting a bit too jaded but it seems that a guy who is in love with his wife to the point of being "sappy" about it is often an offence worthy of ridicule unless he stays really quiet about it. At least in the circles I run in. The women swoon and sigh and the men laugh. This pisses me off mightily. I am a biker who works in the blue collar industries. I look like a rough guy. Hell, I am a rough guy. I can be your worst enemy or best friend. Occasionally I have had to resort to extreme violence in defense of my family. I was a soldier. I also love my wife and kids. I get away with gushing about my kids. That seems to be acceptable even among the hard cases, but I am constantly dealing with the funny looks and the perceived weakness when the subject of my wife comes up. I am sure that most of the guys I know cannot possibly be as dismissive and downright negative towards their wives as they act when their wives aren't around. If they were they wouldn't be married. I do occasionally complain about my wife when she is driving me up the wall to my buddies, but no one who knows me, or has even met me briefly, is in any doubt of my feelings for her. They almost all see it as some kind of aberration. Why is being totally head over heels in love with your wife......the person you have chosen to be your (supposed) lifelong mate for cryin' out loud.....a cause for ridicule? I simply cannot fathom it. Is it a simple as "That's what everyone else does"? I can understand following the herd mentality, I just cannot see why it applies in this particular instance.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:15 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
There may be some level of trying not to depress your single friends too much in that.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:33 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Or your unhappily married ones.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:49 pm 
AOL: da drumber
Location: Probably drunk somewhere. Likely in Northern Virginia or somewhere nearby.
chaosman wrote:
I might be getting a bit too jaded but it seems that a guy who is in love with his wife to the point of being "sappy" about it is often an offence worthy of ridicule unless he stays really quiet about it. At least in the circles I run in. The women swoon and sigh and the men laugh. This pisses me off mightily. I am a biker who works in the blue collar industries. I look like a rough guy. Hell, I am a rough guy. I can be your worst enemy or best friend. Occasionally I have had to resort to extreme violence in defense of my family. I was a soldier. I also love my wife and kids. I get away with gushing about my kids. That seems to be acceptable even among the hard cases, but I am constantly dealing with the funny looks and the perceived weakness when the subject of my wife comes up. I am sure that most of the guys I know cannot possibly be as dismissive and downright negative towards their wives as they act when their wives aren't around. If they were they wouldn't be married. I do occasionally complain about my wife when she is driving me up the wall to my buddies, but no one who knows me, or has even met me briefly, is in any doubt of my feelings for her. They almost all see it as some kind of aberration. Why is being totally head over heels in love with your wife......the person you have chosen to be your (supposed) lifelong mate for cryin' out loud.....a cause for ridicule? I simply cannot fathom it. Is it a simple as "That's what everyone else does"? I can understand following the herd mentality, I just cannot see why it applies in this particular instance.

Coming from a house where my parents have been married for over 30 years and still love each other I cannot help but support you on this. Why is it so "wrong" to find someone who consistently makes you happy?

Edit: Funny that you put this comment in the place that it belongs!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:13 am 
I guess it's a situation analogous to all students complaining how hard that test is and how unfair it is that they have to learn that much, and then one student says: "No actually i found it quite easy." Quite likely plenty of the other students will go "yeah, but you have no life" or similiar.

Then there is the philosophy that everything needs to be hard work to be good. If you work hard for your living you are a good honest person, regardless what fruits your work bears. But if you have a relaxed and cosy job, that you do without much perspiration you could singlehandedly make the lives of every human on earth better, and you'd still be a dubious sluggard, who has it much too easy. Apply that philosophy to relationships as well, and not having something to complain all the time becomes a flaw.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:30 pm 
Chaosman got this dead on, IMHO. I have no idea when it became so passe to be happily married. I'm not trying to say that she doesn't occasionally drive me nuts, especially when it comes to her hatred of doctors, self esteem issues or a host of other issues that we don't see eye to eye on. And don't even get me started on the week when Mother Nature comes to visit...

The underlying backbone, though, is a very simple one - we agree to talk these things out and to work actively on making our marriage function smoothly. I've always felt like most broken marriages and relationships happen when one or both of the partners (assuming they were somewhat matched from the start) just give up on the whole thing.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:05 pm 
From the Misandry thread

Kea wrote:
That's pretty much why I prefer children's literature. Serious Literature seems full of people who believe their sheer arsehattery lends profound meaning to their lives.

Nicely done

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:54 pm 
baconbotsforever wrote:

** On a side note, I typed in testes rather than tests like three times. How Freudian.

snort-laugh

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:09 pm 
Aw, thanks. Here's one that I couldn't stop laughing at in the sequels WGARS thread:

KITTEN III wrote:
A story of friendship...

Turned to hatred.

A story of happiness...

Turned to anger.

Milo Vs. Otis

This summer, the claws come out.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:00 pm 
In Make Your Own Religion!

angrysunbird wrote:
weatherwax wrote:
And you aren't doing this to scam people out of their cash!
Are we allowed to use it to get chicks? Otherwise I can't see the point. :sam:

Well done sir!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:33 pm 
In the The Worst Oracle Ever thread Steave wrote:

Steave wrote:
Oh Great Oracle. The prophecies tell of a great weapon needed to ward off the end of time. What is this great weapon?

to which Solara Hanover replied...
Solara Hanover wrote:
A ferret on Pixy Stix.
Now this answer wouldn't make much sense anywhere else, but around here...pure awesome!

Post Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:04 pm 
AOL: da drumber
Location: Probably drunk somewhere. Likely in Northern Virginia or somewhere nearby.
First off. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SITICKY THIS THREAD!

::ahem::

More from the aformentioned Oracle thread:

KITTEN III wrote:
Great Oracle, what will the next big Sluggy Freelance plot twist be?

Response:

quesoLOCO27 wrote:
[content deleted due to outlandish Oracle speculation - dot]

Edit: YAY!

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:55 pm 
From the Financial Regulation-0, Prawn-1 thread.

Stan Cold wrote:
I thought this would be an article on those aliens in Joberg.

It isn't really a response to anything in the thread or on topic at all. It is, however, awesome.

Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:55 pm 
I had to.

Steave wrote:
Comment specifically designed to get repeated in the awesome comment award thread.

Couldn't help myself. It's from Name of game

Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:54 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
So I guess my nearly identical post earlier in the exact same thread didn't cut it?

:sasha:

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat