Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:09 am 
With Bun-Bun about to thrown down against Poopypants in the literal battle of the century (coming soon to PPV!), I thought it'd be a good time to do a rundown of Bun-Bun's fight record.

Unfortunately, I'm doing this all from memory, so I'm sure I'm going to miss a few. Feel free to fill in the gaps, especially those of you who are better at using the searchy thing (I'm admittedly godawful at it, and would have to just go back through and read every strip again manually). These are also probably not in chronological order, but I'm trying my best here. [EDIT: I have gone back into the archives to try to get them into chronological order—I was way off!]

I'm obviously not counting the times he beat up Torg, Zoe, or Riff. I feel like that would skew the results even more.

If all of these are accurate (unlikely), and I remembered all of them (even more unlikely), Bun-Bun's current record is:

1997:
vs Teddy Weddy: Win (KO)

vs Young Dr. Schlock: Win (KO)

vs Young Dr. Schlock (rematch): Win (KO)

vs Young Dr. Schlock (threepeat): Win (KO)

vs Santa Claus (pre-alien): Win (Santa DQ, left the ring)

1998:
vs Aylee (original form): Draw

vs Easter Bunny: Win (accidental KO)

vs Santa Claus (pre-alien) (rematch): Win (Santa DQ again)
(How many times did this matchup happen on-screen? I remember at least two.)

vs K'Z'K (in Gywnn): Win (TKO by meat grinder)

vs Mecha Easter Bunny: Win (KO)

vs LoDoze: Win (KO by gun-up-the-nose)

vs Aylee Clone (Giant Crab-Thing Form): Loss (KO)

vs Mind-Wedgier: Loss (DQ, left the ring)

vs Pumpkin King: Win (KO)

vs Thanksgiving Turkey: Win (KO)

vs Alien Santa: Win (KO)

vs Young Timeless Space Pirate Bun-Bun: Win (KO with actual brain damage)

vs Creepy-Shadow-Dude in Shadow World: Win

vs Dream-Realm Guard: Win (instant tap-out) (Yes, I know that was the weird dream dude in disguise, but I'm counting it)

vs Oasis: Loss (Super-KO)
(Did Bun-Bun fight Oasis twice? I was sure I remembered a draw with both parties being heavily injured. Maybe not.)

vs Kusari: Win (instant tap-out)

vs Sasha #2: Loss (surprise KO)

vs Poopypants: ??

[Edit: Updated to include some missed fights, and to add dates.]

And that's all I can think of. I vaguely seem to remember he fought a vampire at some point (maybe Sam?), but it's not clear.

So what are Bun-Bun's odds in the upcoming match? He's got a lot of wins under his belt, but a troubling draws and (I think) couple of interesting losses. Has he grown from those experiences? Or has the hype-train oversold him? Should we be trying to find a way to make Aylee (or Oasis, be still my heart) fight Poopypants?

On a personal note, ever since Gwynn got body-swapped, Pete has been hyping up Bun-Bun as the literal reincarnation of the God of Power, and I don't think he's had a solid fight since we got that revelation. If Bun-Bun doesn't perform spectacularly this Tuesday, I'm going to be greatly disappointed. I don't think I can handle another build-up strip followed by a let-down strip (DFA, Chaz) when it comes to Bun-Bun particularly, especially after all the foreshadowing he's gotten. But that's me.

Last edited by VoxAdActa on Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:00 pm 
Sorry, I don't call this one a draw - it's a loss. Not only did Oasis survive, but she was able to move on and kill Zoë (mostly), and the bunny damn near died.

vs. Mind-Wedgier - draw? or loss?

Not sure this one should count, since he was ambushed:
Bun-Bun vs. Sasha #2 - Loss (KO)
But if you do count that one, then you kind of have to count this one:
Bun-Bun vs. Kusari - Win (instant tap-out)

Do any of these count? These are, after all, why Bun-Bun has a soft-spot for Zoë: Respect.
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 1998-06-27 (kicking Bun-Bun through a wall, with ZERO repercussions (!!))
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2003-05-30 (slamming Bun-Bun against a wall; admittedly Bun-Bun was dazed and hypnotized)
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2003-06-01 (throwing him into the mind-wedgier's eye)

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:13 pm 
swmartian wrote:
Sorry, I don't call this one a draw - it's a loss. Not only did Oasis survive, but she was able to move on and kill Zoë (mostly), and the bunny damn near died.

Did Bun-Bun fight Oasis twice? Because that's definitely a loss, for sure! But I thought I remembered one where they injured each other badly and then were separated due to some external circumstance. Maybe I just got it wrong out of my love for the cute rabbit.

Quote:
vs. Mind-Wedgier - draw? or loss?

Hmm, that's probably a Loss; Bun-Bun DQ (left the ring) like Santa Claus.

Quote:
Not sure this one should count, since he was ambushed:
Bun-Bun vs. Sasha #2 - Loss (KO)

I have to count it, if I count his surprise-attack win over the Easter Bunny.

Quote:
But if you do count that one, then you kind of have to count this one:
Bun-Bun vs. Kusari - Win (instant tap-out)

It shall be so!

Quote:
Do any of these count? These are, after all, why Bun-Bun has a soft-spot for Zoë: Respect.
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 1998-06-27 (kicking Bun-Bun through a wall, with ZERO repercussions (!!))
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2003-05-30 (slamming Bun-Bun against a wall; admittedly Bun-Bun was dazed and hypnotized)
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2003-06-01 (throwing him into the mind-wedgier's eye)

An argument could be made, but I feel like it'd get too muddy, since I'd then have to include all the times he did beat up one of the main gang. I think I'd call the first one a challenge declined, the second one a fight against Groundhog's Shadow (since Bun-Bun is incapacitated already), and the third one just an unorthodox way to start a fight, pro-wrestling style.

I will edit the OP to reflect these changes!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:10 pm 
I went back to try to get them in chronological order, and found a couple more fights I missed (Mecha Easter Bunny and Thanksgiving's Turkey).

Also, they should be in order, but there definitely seem to be some pretty big gaps; the latest fight I can find was in 2017, and the fight before that (a very brief encounter) was 2012. Bun-Bun has clearly been slowing down; he went from taking multiple fights a year to going 5-7 years between fights. Is that an indication that he's past his prime? Combine that with the correction for the number of losses, and I'm starting to think Bun-Bun is a pretty hefty underdog for Tuesday's match.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:21 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
You're only counting one fight across all of the oceans unmoving stories? It's been a very long time since I read those chapters but he had multiples battles against Kalix, the Technocon (that turned out to be his younger self) the minions of that lord john fellow etc.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:29 am 
Dodger77 wrote:
You're only counting one fight across all of the oceans unmoving stories? It's been a very long time since I read those chapters but he had multiples battles against Kalix, the Technocon (that turned out to be his younger self) the minions of that lord john fellow etc.

Tomorrow when I get done with work, I'll go back and skim Ocean's Unmoving to find out. I'll be honest; that's probably the arc I remember the least of. It was a fascinating story, but so super complicated that most of it bounced off my brain and leaked out my ears.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:15 pm 
VoxAdActa wrote:
Dodger77 wrote:

Tomorrow when I get done with work, I'll go back and skim Ocean's Unmoving to find out. I'll be honest; that's probably the arc I remember the least of. It was a fascinating story, but so super complicated that most of it bounced off my brain and leaked out my ears.

Also, since, you know, it makes the fight against younger Bun Bun both a win AND a loss.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat