Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post subject: Anima Speculation
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:39 am 
Movies and TV entertainment must be very different from ours as well. The actors playing the bad guys wouldn't be able hide their animas!

Any story with a villain would have to be animated .... (no pun intended).

Post subject: Re: Anima Speculation
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:50 pm 
I bet it would help shape what their image of a villain really is.

They'd no doubt have monsters and bedeviled. I'm sure they still have jerks, at least. You can have antagonistic jerks that aren't truly villains.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:13 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
The thing is how would the actor be able to, you know, act so their anima matches? For their anima to be happy, angry, conniving, sad, judgemental, joyful, they would have to be as well. If they could do that on command, nobody would trust them.

Hmm... Maybe why the C.O.P.S. are actually looking for bedevils is because they are actually agents of the entertainment industry who are looking for new actors. You never know.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:12 pm 
Who says they even have TV? Your query goes back to the earliest concept of theater. With the issues that you point out, theater may not have been a concept that ever caught on in this world. Without theater, why would you even want TV?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:30 pm 
Zillatain wrote:
The thing is how would the actor be able to, you know, act so their anima matches? For their anima to be happy, angry, conniving, sad, judgemental, joyful, they would have to be as well. If they could do that on command, nobody would trust them.

It would definitely shape their act. Imagine! You could be both the straight man, AND the wise guy in your act! :D Think of the goofy possibilities!

Also, there's method actors. If you can CONVINCE yourself that it's true, then your anima would have to follow along. Right?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:44 pm 
Spirantz wrote:
Also, there's method actors. If you can CONVINCE yourself that it's true, then your anima would have to follow along. Right?
That's the thing. Finding bedevils would be the least of their concerns if that is true. They could literally murder somebody and then convince themselves that someone else did it.

In this world, a person's anima is more important than the actual person with. If their anima shows they didn't do it and a COP says they are not a bedevil... I wonder what the justice system is like in this world when everybody has a built-in lie detector.

swmartian wrote:
Who says they even have TV?
From the "telephone" article, they were talking about pursuing visual communication options instead. That sounds like a no to me. If they had television, the telephone should have been quite easy to create.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:16 am 
Zillatain wrote:
Spirantz wrote:
That's the thing. Finding bedevils would be the least of their concerns if that is true. They could literally murder somebody and then convince themselves that someone else did it.

In this world, a person's anima is more important than the actual person with. If their anima shows they didn't do it and a COP says they are not a bedevil... I wonder what the justice system is like in this world when everybody has a built-in lie detector.

See, I would ASSUME this is not a world's first. They MUST have some sort of system for that. But I get the impression that most of our questions will go unanswered in favour of another time jump!

Someone needs to chime in with a sunday edition of 'Meanwhile in the Dimension of Anima', after the gang leaves.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:36 am 
I just realized what Pete did...

If we postulate that video entertainment with live actors is not going to work because the anima would give away the acting, the only way then to make entertainment like that would be through animation.

Yup -- Pete just (probably unconsciously) created a world where CARTOONISTS would rule the entertainment universe. The best would be sought out for multi-million dollar salaries to do shows. They'd win Oscars for their movie work and Emmys for their TV work. Fans would follow then incessantly on social media, eager to learn what food they like and whose pens they draw with ...

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:29 pm 
Biscuit, that idea makes prefect sense on so many levels. Animators and voice actors would be the stars in this world.

I wonder. What type of sports does this world have? Would having a small anima be an advantage, since it would be harder for your opponent see and react to? Food for thought.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:03 am 
Zillatain wrote:
Biscuit, that idea makes prefect sense on so many levels. Animators and voice actors would be the stars in this world.

I wonder. What type of sports does this world have? Would having a small anima be an advantage, since it would be harder for your opponent see and react to? Food for thought.

Oh, that's very interesting! Self-competitive sports like track, swimming, archery etc, would be fine. Some fast team or solo sports like tennis or ping pong would also be fine, since they are more reactive.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:02 pm 
I've been thinking about anima speculation a lot. Here are mine:

1) We still don't know what exactly the "bedeviled" are... and our first encounter with them stands out. What, EXACTLY, did that bedeviled do that she shouldn't? She was suspicious of outsiders.... and then, even when people were celebrating, she investigated, and found evidence of Very Foul Play, at which point she called it to everybody's attention. Not really sociopathic that we ever saw.

I suspect the "bedeviled" isn't actually a sign of sociopathy so much as a really really bad mood, the same as people can get in real life. Malevolent, malicious people use it to fuel their evil deeds... healthier people reign it in.

2) Pursuant to that... Riff has been speculating on why this world develops so slowly. I think it may be related... one of the driving forces of change, good and bad, is people who are disgruntled over the way things currently are. And if those people all appear, to "seers," exactly the same as serial killers... well, we can't assume they will all get due process like the one Zoe spotted in Scattleburg. So if they suppress everybody who is sufficiently discontent... they get stagnation.

3) I still don't understand all the implications of splicing... but we already know that affecting the anima affects the person. Recall that the sorceress had her anima beat up other animas... at which point the person would become her slave. And the outsiders who shave off their anima for money are listless brutes... So I think that 100% chance, splicing affects their personalities. But in a weird artificial "choose your personality" sort of way, where peoples' emotions become increasingly divorced from interaction with the actual world. Which is what emotions are FOR. I am already getting some slight "4U City" vibes.

4) We don't know what splicing a bit of red does... but I think we are going to find out more soon. Calling it now: the people with a bit of red are not generally psycho killers, just discontent enough to want change. And not all bad either.

5) Calling it now:
Chapter 1: "Evolution," which sounds like:
Chapter 2: "Elevation," which sounds like:
Chapter 3: "Revelation," which sounds like:
Chapter 4: "Revolution," which sounds like Chapter 1. It will be about some major change in the Animaverse that our heroes are involved with somehow; something related to the currently undisclosed and unexplained dark side of the whole Anima thing.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:20 am 
Webfoot wrote:
I've been thinking about anima speculation a lot. Here are mine:

3) I still don't understand all the implications of splicing... but we already know that affecting the anima affects the person. Recall that the sorceress had her anima beat up other animas... at which point the person would become her slave. And the outsiders who shave off their anima for money are listless brutes... So I think that 100% chance, splicing affects their personalities. But in a weird artificial "choose your personality" sort of way, where peoples' emotions become increasingly divorced from interaction with the actual world. Which is what emotions are FOR. I am already getting some slight "4U City" vibes.

I agree that affecting the anima affects the person, so if, as Riff and Zoe speculate, a bedeviled is in control of the splicing, and intends to splice in bedeviled anima, will that result in control of the population?

I know Riff and Zoe fear for Torg, and not just for the mining. Is it possible that this Dr. Dastarde is more like the sorceress and is able to control people that way?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:16 pm 
I have some question about interacting with anima.
The only ones we've seen interacting with their own anima as if they were a separate being has (I think) been Frog -- who is used to conversing with the non-conversant/dead/fake Corsica, and Torg, who has his own history (ex: Zhoas).

Have we seen anyone else interact with their anima that way?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:35 am 
randomlanguage wrote:
I have some question about interacting with anima.
The only ones we've seen interacting with their own anima as if they were a separate being has (I think) been Frog -- who is used to conversing with the non-conversant/dead/fake Corsica, and Torg, who has his own history (ex: Zhoas).

Have we seen anyone else interact with their anima that way?

The cow-witch could command her's to do things.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat