Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:58 pm 
randomlanguage wrote:
Webfoot wrote:
How VERY interesting, to see a different emotional reaction from the anima cloud!
2 possibilities occur to me:

1) The anima cloud's expression all reflect Cupidine's emotions. Whether she is a cold psycho or just really good at controlling and hiding, she is always blank and numbed. Like a mask. But then, Torg's plan made her angry.

2) The anima cloud normally is blank and shocked, from being leashed to a psycho. But something about Torg's plan pissed them all off.

I am leaning towards #1 myself.

I have a bit of a variation. Perhaps a little of both. The default is the horror of the person killed frozen in their anima. Then, Torg's plan caused her to activate them for power, taking control of them with her anger.

Similar... I looked back to see what the animae of the two servants to the sorceress looked like, and they, too, had a 'horror' look on their 'face'.

Question: Is that a look of 'horror' - in which case, it reflects the subjects' horror at being manipulated, or is it simply an open mouth that reflects a drainage of will?? [I was about to add 'and reason', but I don't think anima can reason - I think their responses are more primitive...]

If it is a look of 'horror' - what are the animae in Cupidine's cloud reacting to? Is it really a response to their host dying? I don't think so, because that same look is in the discarded parts of animae being 'surgically' altered, in spite of their original owners being "happy" with the makeover. I think there is a connection between an anima and its original host that goes beyond mere aping of emotions. Take that anima - or a part of it - away from its original host and it feels that loss at a primitive level (rather than a conscious level); a loss that it never really 'gets over' because it is on such a primitive level.

There may also be a component of horror at being manipulated against their will. While we would feel that horror at a conscious or thinking level, anima may reflect a more primitive response.

So with those speculations in mind, I find the following observations equally 'interesting':
(1) Just before Cupidine kills Torg, her primary animae reflect total blankness - as if she can overwrite those primitive 'feelings' and take them over - first by creating a blank slate...

(2) Only after that blank state do they display the extreme anger required to kill...

(3) Only Cupidine's 'primary' animae respond - note that the expressions of animae in the background do not change.

Does she only have 'control' over a certain few animae? Or does she only activate however many she needs, depending on the psionic energy required? Is this control similar to the control that the sorceress manifested, but on a more sophisticated level?

I postulate that multiple animae were originally a result of animae 'harvested' by loved ones as their loved ones die a natural death - similar to Torg's idea of giving Zoe a part of his anima. Eventually, someone with a red anima figured out how to do it - or inherited that ability - perhaps as offspring of the sorceress.

The red anima mean something. Red being stitched to blue means something... Does the red contaminate the blue? I half expected Chaz to declare Cupidine innocent - but we did not get a chance to find that out. I currently think that the host is in control of the anima and not the other way around. But what would happen if an innocent - really innocent - person had a red anima grafted to their blue anima? Would that affect how they see the world? Would it affect how they then act? And does red or blue matter when being controlled by another? Do the animae connect at all to the new host, or merely act as a conduit of energy?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:43 pm 
swmartian wrote:
(3) Only Cupidine's 'primary' animae respond - note that the expressions of animae in the background do not change.

My guess is Pete didn't want to redraw angery faces on all of them. But I don't know.

Spirantz wrote:
I mean....there's also time travel. But they rarely use that. It's kind of a drag when nothing you do matters, since there's always a way to reverse it. Maybe we'll get lucky and Chronos will come back and disable all interdimensional and time travel.

Fortunately, it has already been established that anything that could cause paradoxes gets one banished to timeless space.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:31 pm 
Webfoot wrote:
I will bet this only bought time, as Cupidine is not the only such creature left.

Yeah, I thought about that, too. Cupidine might not be the only "anima-vampire" in the world. They might even have staked out separate territories. Up until one becomes stronger than the others,....

Post Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:02 pm 
Fair Winds wrote:
Webfoot wrote:
I will bet this only bought time, as Cupidine is not the only such creature left.

Yeah, I thought about that, too. Cupidine might not be the only "anima-vampire" in the world. They might even have staked out separate territories. Up until one becomes stronger than the others,....

Or, say, one of them suddenly completely disappears, leaving a large swathe of territory with nobody to oppose any claim.....

Another question: Do they completely wipe out their prey, or leave a breeding population to ensure a constant supply of new anima?

That will depend on the individual anima vampires, perhaps. Even the mighty and intelligent can end up eating their own seed corn, if they get gluttonous.

But, we notice, Cupidine apparently showed up to attack them in purpose because she saw Torg's magnificent anima. Perhaps, if she sees prey with inferior animas, she lets them be.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:23 am 
I just noticed something, the moon has an anima. Does that mean the Moon is sentient?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:32 am 
randomlanguage wrote:
I just noticed something, the moon has an anima. Does that mean the Moon is sentient?

I just noticed the blue moon too. Looking at the archives, it was also present in the first ever strip in Anima:Evolution. So whatever it is, it was there the whole time.

No idea what it is. Moon's anima? Earth's anima? Something else that creates the field that causes anima? Dunno yet.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:38 am 
It's clear. In order to get home, they need to blow up the extra moon.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:20 am 
Riff: Well, I still don't know how to get home, but I found out exactly when we are. That last jump was 6500 years.
Riff: The jumps weren't all the same length - it looks like the more people we flux, the stronger the interference from the planet's field and the longer the jump.
Zoe: That's why the second jump only took us from medieval to modern. We left Daiyu and Shankraft behind.
Riff: Correct. That jump was 3000 years. Still took them a lot longer to develop, but the first jump was 6000 years.
Zoe: And then we picked up Gorf, Machio, and Maya... that's only one person more than the first jump. Wait... if that one extra added 500 years... and the two before that made a difference of 3000 years...
Riff: Adding more people gets diminishing returns. It's a very complicated formula.
Gwynn: *ding* How... long would the jump be if it was just one person?
Riff: Let me check my notes...... 33 minutes and 27 seconds.
*Cupidine reappears*

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:49 pm 
Webfoot wrote:
randomlanguage wrote:

I just noticed the blue moon too. Looking at the archives, it was also present in the first ever strip in Anima:Evolution. So whatever it is, it was there the whole time.

No idea what it is. Moon's anima? Earth's anima? Something else that creates the field that causes anima? Dunno yet.

Not all live creatures have animas. Creatures with primitive thought processes do not develop animas. The moon should be made of inanimate materials, with a smattering of organic matter. I suspect that the sci-fi answer will be that the moon somehow focuses psionic energy, and the blue moon is less of an anima, and more of a reflection. A reflection that represents a focusing of the psionic energy to create an intertwined and interactive field.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:41 pm 
AOL: LilimKaoru
I think the "moon anima" is really a floating city with so much anima powering it that it glows.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:03 am 
swmartian wrote:
Webfoot wrote:
randomlanguage wrote:

Not all live creatures have animas. Creatures with primitive thought processes do not develop animas. The moon should be made of inanimate materials, with a smattering of organic matter. I suspect that the sci-fi answer will be that the moon somehow focuses psionic energy, and the blue moon is less of an anima, and more of a reflection. A reflection that represents a focusing of the psionic energy to create an intertwined and interactive field.

Ooh I like this idea. Maybe a reflection or concentration of the psionic energy of the universe, perhaps even a force in and of itself like gravity or maybe part of the electromagnetic spectrum.... Something inherent not only to living, sentient things beans but to anything with enough 'presence' in the fabric of the universe.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:17 am 
ThirdWizard wrote:
I think the "moon anima" is really a floating city with so much anima powering it that it glows.

I don't think it's that since it was present even in the forst comic in the arc, in prehistoric times.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:08 pm 
AOL: LilimKaoru
Webfoot wrote:
ThirdWizard wrote:

I don't think it's that since it was present even in the forst comic in the arc, in prehistoric times.

Darn it!

Okay then, guess the moon is intelligent!

If it was getting bigger as they go through time, I would have said it is where the anima goes when you die, but probably not right since it would presumably be gaining anima "mass."

I'm going to go with it being the source of the psychic field.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:48 pm 
Yeah, it's actually been absent for so long, there was a running spec as to whether it still existed or had changed significantly. Here, we see that not only is it still around, but it's effectively in the same shape and location.

[edit] Speaking of which, I recall there was also a bunch of spec early on about those mysterious golden vines they found and were the only other things that got spot-colored in this chapter. They used them as rope and lighting without consideration for what they might be, and...everything turned out fine I guess? We've never seen a hint of them outside the prehistoric era

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:20 pm 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
[edit] Speaking of which, I recall there was also a bunch of spec early on about those mysterious golden vines they found and were the only other things that got spot-colored in this chapter. They used them as rope and lighting without consideration for what they might be, and...everything turned out fine I guess? We've never seen a hint of them outside the prehistoric era

Oh yeah... That's a good reminder. I took a quick look at the archives and the couldn't find anything after the prehistoric age either. Maybe they were just for artistic effect. I guess it's possible they'll come into play later, but since they haven't been shown or mentioned, I doubt it.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat