Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:09 am 
Cupidine closing in on Torg. I can only hope they will get the flux agitator working as it should and flux her to a dimension where her anima count for naught. The Cobras With Crow-Bars dimension would be fitting.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:21 pm 
galen wrote:
A couple of random thoughts:
1) Does anyone else think Cupidine and Maya look rather similar?
2) Why do the buildings in http://sluggy.com/#2020-01-17 this comic (Friday 17th January) have handles on them?

1) Cupidine is wearing a mask. We don't know what she looks like, but her mohawk is straighter and longer than Maya's curly one.

2) Because they're containers for holding collectible animas.

Totally off-the-wall (and probably wildly inaccurate) spec: One of Trevor's heads actually connects to Chaz (who is more closely bonded with Torg than he would like) and when it contacts Cupidine's anima cloud, all of the blue ones (innocents) are either released or migrate to Torg.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:39 pm 
Thom Solo wrote:
Totally off-the-wall (and probably wildly inaccurate) spec: One of Trevor's heads actually connects to Chaz (who is more closely bonded with Torg than he would like) and when it contacts Cupidine's anima cloud, all of the blue ones (innocents) are either released or migrate to Torg.

Maybe not so off. I was just thinking it's too bad Torg isn't wearing Chaz. Mustachio's blood certainly should be innocent by Chaz's standards, and most of the blue animas as well. Since Chaz can contact and damage incorporeal beings (the Demon King) contact with that cloud SHOULD power Chaz up just fine.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:49 pm 
Jochi wrote:
Thom Solo wrote:

Maybe not so off. I was just thinking it's too bad Torg isn't wearing Chaz. Mustachio's blood certainly should be innocent by Chaz's standards, and most of the blue animas as well. Since Chaz can contact and damage incorporeal beings (the Demon King) contact with that cloud SHOULD power Chaz up just fine.

Good point! Chaz is probably within grabbing range if Torg goes back inside, and he'd be able to free all the anima captured by Cupidine and put their souls at rest.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:51 am 
Ufff, I make a speculation about red herranimas and how it seemed significant that there weren't completely bedevideled animas in Cupidine's anima sphere, and that's all there are now, with no partial combination of the two present in the most recent closeups. Touché! I'd speculate about whether this means that bedeviled animas and normal animas are in flux within Cupidine, but I'm onto you, red herranimas!

Though what I think is significant that does work into previous speculation of mine is the expressions that bedeviled animas are showing. Previously, they've only been shown under incriminating circumstances, involving those who had them being "taken away" (to where? what happened to them?) or showing extreme gleefulness hidden under the veiled anima of composure. None of those bedeviled animas seem to be showing the sadistic intent or enjoyment that Cupidine is. Well, none of those that have been revealed yet. Like has been suggested in this thread, they all seem to be frozen in the expression they had in the moment of their death, and those bedevileds, they seem to demonstrate quite human expressions. I kind of feel if bedeviled animas were inherently evil as opposed to an unrelated trait, that the bedeviled animas Zoe would be seeing would show it.

I hope someone finds what in that century must be the equivalent of an anima gun and shoots Cupidine's true anima in time. If they did, wouldn't it be a twist if they had to shoot at a blue anima, the sort of blue anima that would have simply been exiled centuries past. What did happen to people with bedeviled animas? Were they thought of so inherently evil, that it was ok to experiment on them? Were the experiments on them what led to the discovery of anima splicing?

*Edit: Reading the other speculations, I just realized that that anima gun has a name, and it is Chaz - that's a great observation. So far, Chaz has been used to slay some of the seemingly anima-less monster animals. He has never been used on an anima itself.

I don't think Chaz puts all the souls at rest, though. I think he will do to animas what Cupidine does, and will be empowered by the animas it holds while they remain unconsumed. I am picturing an anima seemingly screaming in pain while Chaz consumes them.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:56 pm 
Well, we assume that all of the bedeviled animas that we see so far belong to others. The expressions could be merely reflecting their owner's feelings at death - which would be horror. Another assumption would be that evil-doers are also egoists. An egoist is not going to appreciate being co-opted by someone else, even if their co-opters would make the same choices.

So... In our society we have a unique group of people that do not necessarily commit evil on their own, but do worship certain evil entities, to the point of being willing to die to be in their service. If Cupidine were to co-opt her worshipers, would their animas reflect glee at being "chosen" - or would their expressions reflect the pain of such death - however fleeting?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:06 pm 
Jackalope wrote:
If they did, wouldn't it be a twist if they had to shoot at a blue anima,

I was literally about to post the same thing.
I noticed that we have yet to see Cupidine's mask anima, except in the Matrix, when no seer was present. Predicting blue Cupidine, but not 100%.

I am guessing the Blue Cupidine reveal will upset the characters, since they are only used to atrocities commited by bedeviled in this world.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:42 pm 
The question has been raised as to why the red animas here look like normal animas, just red and stitched, whereas bedeviled animas in the past looked all nasty and fuzzy.

I speculate that when an altered anima has a red chunk, such as in [url="http://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?chapter=72#2019-08-08"]this strip[/url], the "redness" will spread to the rest of the anima, leaving a "red" anima of the original (post-alteration) shape.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:40 am 
Unpowered Chaz can probably kill Cupidine, I imagine, if Torg can connect, which I doubt. A powered Chaz might be able to affect the cloud of anima, but I see no reason to believe Chaz can be powered by anima (I doubt that Chaz would have any affect on such incorporeal beings without being powered). Chaz needs innocent blood to be powered. Since when do anima bleed?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:45 am 
It could be that "blood" is as figurative as "innocent" when it comes to powering Chaz. We've just never seen a situation where that distinction was relevant, until possibly now.

Also, I think Cupidine isn't who (or what) it appears to be.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:10 am 
Lord Golbez wrote:
A powered Chaz might be able to affect the cloud of anima, but I see no reason to believe Chaz can be powered by anima (I doubt that Chaz would have any affect on such incorporeal beings without being powered). Chaz needs innocent blood to be powered. Since when do anima bleed?

Chaz interacts with souls. Blood in the DoN is simply a representative of that - the closest physical embodiment of a soul is one's lifeblood. And we see whenever a powered Chaz touches a demon, he doesn't even need to create a mortal wound for them to die. That's because he's dealing the blow directly to their soul. And since Torg and Riff just had a..tiff over Animae probably being souls, it stand to reason that this is about to be tested in a meaningful way. It would surprise me greatly if there was no effect.

...it would also mean Torg is a dead man.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:14 am 
It's possible, but if that were the case, I don't think Chaz would have needed blood to be powered when they were in that soul realm. I don't see the evidence that Chaz can simply interact with/harvest souls without at least being powered by blood first. Could happen, but I'm a skeptic.

I also don't think it would necessarily mean Torg's a dead man. Cupidine is not a sword proof demon and Riff might still come to the rescue.

Kind of an aside, but simply touching a demon is not necessarily enough. That seems pretty clear from the difficulties Chaz explained for killing Horribus. Some sort of wound must be inflicted at least, clearly.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:35 am 
I do think Chaz will definitely have some kind of effect.
We've seen anima can be affected by the physical world via augmentation.
I think striking the blue anima will count as the blood of the innocent.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:21 am 
Chaz doesn't consume souls; he frees them, surgically. So, I now think I was wrong about touching the cloud powering him up. (I still think he can touch it.) However, Maya's or Machio's blood would work, and Chaz wouldn't have to kill either -- he was powered by "innocent blood" generated by a wish and having to do with no particular person, so it's the blood, not the life, that matters.
It WOULD be interesting if Cupidine's blood empowered him.
Speculation: if he powers up, his anima will become visible, and Zoe will see it as ... blue.

Last edited by Jochi on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:35 pm 
Jochi wrote:
Speculation: if he powers up, his anima will become visible, and Zoe will see it as ... blue.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. I think the key to bedevilment is deception, and Chaz is nothing if not honest about its feelings. Brutally, brutally honest.

Heck, I expect that if Bun-bun were there, his anima would also be blue. Alas, we will likely never know that.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat