Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post subject: Schlock: Noble or Dummy?
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:58 am 
Hasn't happened yet, but since this is the forum for spec and all....

Schlock specifically said that the RYPITA targets the ship he is on. He is now on the escape pod - and Pete drew today's panel such that the missiles can easily be going behind the ship from our POV.

Did he realize that, hence the "Goodbye my friend" prior? He decided that since the comms being down meant the missiles would come before he could stop them it might as well be only him in the pod? (That would imply that using the EMP to shut down the self-destruct was part of being sure the pod was the only viable ship for the AI to target. We don't get a panel of AI firing/finalizing target after the pod launches, only the initial lock well before).

Or was he just being a selfish jerk dummy who didn't realize the pod is a small ship, but still technically a ship.. and GIGO?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:31 am 
I never thought about that....hmmm.
I feel like the latter is true, but the former would be a way for Riff to survive. And he has to survive.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:11 am 
SDF-3 wrote:
Hasn't happened yet, but since this is the forum for spec and all....

Schlock specifically said that the RYPITA targets the ship he is on. He is now on the escape pod - and Pete drew today's panel such that the missiles can easily be going behind the ship from our POV.

Did he realize that, hence the "Goodbye my friend" prior? He decided that since the comms being down meant the missiles would come before he could stop them it might as well be only him in the pod? (That would imply that using the EMP to shut down the self-destruct was part of being sure the pod was the only viable ship for the AI to target. We don't get a panel of AI firing/finalizing target after the pod launches, only the initial lock well before).

Or was he just being a selfish jerk dummy who didn't realize the pod is a small ship, but still technically a ship.. and GIGO?

The 'Riff did it to himself' showed he was a selfish jerk to the end.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:19 am 
Yup, Dummy it is then! :torg:

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:28 am 
AOL: rapunzil504
If Schlock's nanites can rebuild him even at this stage, I'm not sure I want to think about the excruciating process of his cells dying in the vacuum of space and regenerating over and over...

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:42 pm 
Punzil504 wrote:
If Schlock's nanites can rebuild him even at this stage, I'm not sure I want to think about the excruciating process of his cells dying in the vacuum of space and regenerating over and over...

When I read the nanite thought in the reactions, my thought was "No. Just no." But with your added perspective, it's actually pretty damn funny...

I wasn't actually sure what I thought about the final demise of Schlock. You just cheered me up.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:10 am 
ramoss wrote:
The 'Riff did it to himself' showed he was a selfish jerk to the end.

Ya. Plus if he was being noble and taking the bullet to spare Riff, he wouldn't have tossed the self-destruct button into Riff's ship before ejecting.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:40 pm 
Punzil504 wrote:

Not gonna happen. He got hit by an EMP before the missiles.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:13 am 
kitoba wrote:
Punzil504 wrote:

Not gonna happen. He got hit by an EMP before the missiles.

No, He was outside the sphere of influence of the EMP bomb when it went off.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:33 am 
I would think in any case, the nanites would need live cells to build on and force-replicate.

For replication of live cells you need Oxygen and fuel (e.g. sugars) to provide the energy for cell production, neither of which are really available to the nanites at this point.

They're only micro building machines, they can't work without materials (and presumably they get their own power from chemical processes as well - oxygen again)

Punzil504 wrote:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:12 pm 
Ugh. You're taking all the funny out of it.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:00 am 
Of course, if my other spec works out and Riff takes a disembodied Schlock hand on board to bypass the biometric lockout, then we might see just what those little critters can do.
'Talk to the hand...'

swmartian wrote:
Ugh. You're taking all the funny out of it.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat