Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:21 am 
So we all know that Chaz needs the blood of the innocent to be powered up and the blood only has to be innocent from a certain point of view. Chaz didn't get charged up by Alt-Aylees blood, and didn't seem to get charged up by DoP demon blood (though failed to cut them without being charged up, but it's probably a safe assumption their blood wouldn't work). So Alien blood don't seem to work, even those which might be regarded as innocent from a certain point of view.

My speculation is that what really powers Chaz up is simply human blood, with the possible exception of the bearer of Chaz. Is there any strip which contradicts this theory? Contradictions would be Chaz failing to get charged by human blood, or to a lesser degree, Chaz getting charged by something that is genetically unrelated to humans.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:18 am 
Some examples I can think of is the zombies...technically human, but perhaps without blood.
Also, here the cult members are killed without activating Chaz because "Not one drop of their blood was innocent"

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:38 am 
I seem to recall that the mutagenic squid developed by NoFun labs powered up Chaz.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:11 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
It would appear that anything with blood can be judged to be innocent.

Aylee's species innately wants to devour other species, so definitely not innocent. Being an alien does not have any bearing on it. Now for demons, I'm not so sure. Are they automatically evil just because they are demons, or is it more like humans and what they do (or do not do) in demon society determines whether they are not innocent?

As for Oasis, Kusari/Sasha, their bodies are merely vessels for a soul that appears to merely control the body but not inhabit it. So their non-innocent actions don't "taint" the bodies' blood. Also, but for opposite reasons, the squid-on-a-stick is used to commit atrocities but is not willing participant.

Getting back to the original topic. We are essentially trying to prove a negative. If Chaz powers up, then the blood is "innocent". If Chaz does not power up...well, we assume they were not innocent, but how do we know for sure? We have not seen anyone where we knew without a possibility of a doubt that they were 100% innocent. Nor do we know at what point the cut-off is for Chaz's innocent's meter.

Of course, we also don't know if Chaz could be lying about all of this. Chaz has shown that it can willfully be powered but not show any signs of that fact. So for all we know, Chaz could be powered by any blood but chooses not to show it at all times. And only when visually powered up, can Chaz kill everything.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:24 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
I've always felt that "blood" was a kind of short hand employed by Chaz. I suspect his real fuel is more akin to the soul.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:54 am 
Location: East of the West, west of the East, north of the South, south of the North Pole.
Dodger77 wrote:
I've always felt that "blood" was a kind of short hand employed by Chaz. I suspect his real fuel is more akin to the soul.

Chaz itself denied that.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:16 pm 
Rombobjörn wrote:
Dodger77 wrote:

Chaz itself denied that.

I don't know if I trust Chaz in this regard. He came from the Nether at K'Z'K's behest don't forget. Which, now that I think about it, implies that he lied about his origin story...

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:04 am 
blakemw wrote:
My speculation is that what really powers Chaz up is simply human blood, with the possible exception of the bearer of Chaz. Is there any strip which contradicts this theory? Contradictions would be Chaz failing to get charged by human blood, or to a lesser degree, Chaz getting charged by something that is genetically unrelated to humans.

The blood of an ordained fails to charge Chaz.

The blood of a sentient squid does charge Chaz.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:42 pm 
Location: East of the West, west of the East, north of the South, south of the North Pole.
Dodger77 wrote:
He came from the Nether at K'Z'K's behest don't forget. Which, now that I think about it, implies that he lied about his origin story...

What's to say that there wasn't a blacksmith in the Never with a name similar to "Bob"? Chaz never said that the blacksmith was human.

It's also possible that Chaz was brought to the Never from elsewhere even earlier. (Although Occam's razor is a good guideline in science, it rarely produces the right answer in Sluggy Freelance.)

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:34 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
and remember, Chaz, being a supernatural being pulled from outside he web, may not subscribe to the same Black and White Morality we attribute to "innocent." he may be a case of Blue and Orange Morality (Warning TVTropes Link) in which we don't know what HE, or by extension his makers, considers 'innocent.'

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:08 am 
blakemw wrote:

Well, Chaz is pretty clear about it in his explanation when his sentience is first revealed to Torg

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:10 am 
Also, at the end of the Mokhadun arc it seems to be suggested that his sentience is (at least at that point), Khron

Which might explain why 'Weeping God' is one of his names

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:16 am 
What better way to corrupt someone than by claiming your magical kill anything powers can only be powered up by harming someone innocent first?

I think Pete has been pretty careful about not showing too much ambivalence about Chaz and his activations.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:09 am 
That said, I wonder if Schlock would power Chaz?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:02 am 
I feel pretty vindicated by today's comic. HE MASTICATES THEIR SOULS.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat