Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:40 pm 
Pete wrote:
Also the site does not load the entire chapter at once. It only loads the comics you view (or scroll past).

morfraen wrote:
Spirantz wrote:
Site Design crew:

What does "View in Archives" really mean when you attached it to today's comic? You may want to reconsider this. I can't imagine ANY need to ever click on this. Remember -- imagine this from the user's prospective, not your own.

Until they add nav buttons (first/prev/next/last) it's the only way to get to the recent comics you may have missed in between your last check and the current one.

Also, how's the progress coming on adding those nav buttons and calendar back? :)

Well, we were given a calendar... The problem is that I've already forgotten where it is... The calendar (along with more simple (at least a 'previous' button) navigation buttons) should all be on the front page with the most recent comic.

The problem with Pete's explanation (above) is that it is not entirely true. Today I clicked on a link for the 5/5/14 comic and ended up at 4/28/14 instead. When I'm transcribing, it is not uncommon for me to have to scroll through a couple of months of comics, because the 'pointing' is so off. If I'm on my wireless network the only thing lost in my time (which is annoying enough). If I have to be working on my phone plan instead (hotspot), then it's also costing me data. Navigation buttons (and a calendar on the front page) would be nice (and are wanted by nearly everyone on these forums - hint, hint)*, except that this 'pointing' problem needs to be solved first before they can be 'reliable'.

*"View in archives" is not as intuitive as "previous", does not deliver the control that a calendar should, and does not actually work as a "previous" button would because of these 'pointing' issues.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:35 am 
I wanted to mention that a short while ago, the main comic page redirected me to one of those firefox critical update scam pages where they ask you to download some odd file or other. I'm hoping this is only a one-time thing but it bears mentioning.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:52 pm 
slightlylooney wrote:
I wanted to mention that a short while ago, the main comic page redirected me to one of those firefox critical update scam pages where they ask you to download some odd file or other. I'm hoping this is only a one-time thing but it bears mentioning.

Yeah, there was some bad behavior on mobile ads at the start of the month and we had a talk with the ad provider. :bunbun: It's one of those things where we have to stay on top of it all the time, so reports help, thanks.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:26 pm 
Can you change the charset to UTF-8? There are some places that look pretty messed up.

Spoiler: show

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:03 am 
This website RARELY loads on an iPad.
It tries to load, crashes, then tries again. Repeat several times until safari gives up entirely.

When loading the website, I often scroll down to the news posts and see that it’s only loading the left side of the page. Eventually it might load the right side.

Are you *always* loading the mobile version first, then converting to a larger resolution later? This has been happening for ages, but has been more noticeable to me lately. I think the graphical image at the top (currently the space turkey) loads the right size, but everything below appears to be cut in half until things slowly load and gets fixed eventually.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:20 am 
User feedback:
Also I just want to say....

I’ve noticed more and more of those ads popping in here and there. Kinda disappointed that you’re spending so much time on getting integrated ads working when there’s been a large backlog of poor UI, design, and crashing issues. It’s been a long time since the new website launched, and I honestly can’t say I’m too impressed.

You’ve got a few nifty tricks, but ignore so many of the basic design elements.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:27 am 
I was hopeful that this was temporary state, that it will be fixed soon. I was wrong.
It's absolute [Which may be true, but you're not allowed to say that word here, even in Russian. - Z]. After several months, they don't even bother to add navigation buttons, and it's clear that they don't intend to add it.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:59 am 
On a positive note, the 'pointing' seems to be much improved. The last 6-8 links that I've clicked on have landed spot on.

That's still not true on the transcription page of NiftySearch, but I suspect that's another kettle of fish to be worked on (much) later when y'all inherit it. :-)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:41 pm 
Can you check the ads you're running? I'm getting randomly redirected to phishing websites.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:55 am 
Another in the 'archive errors' vein: http://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?cha ... 2001-02-01 does not seem to have been enlarged properly.

Edit: also http://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?cha ... 2001-02-03, I think.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:20 pm 
Since yesterday, the forum has been periodically giving me an error message saying that the link I clicked on was not redirecting properly.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:34 am 
Pied Typer wrote:
Can you check the ads you're running? I'm getting randomly redirected to phishing websites.

Same.
Use a more reputable ad service if you insist on using them.

Sluggy is becoming a phishing risk.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:33 pm 
swmartian wrote:
On a positive note, the 'pointing' seems to be much improved. The last 6-8 links that I've clicked on have landed spot on.

That's still not true on the transcription page of NiftySearch, but I suspect that's another kettle of fish to be worked on (much) later when y'all inherit it. :-)

I'm sorry, but I have to take the 'pat on the back' back: Today I clicked on "View in Archives" and landed on the strip for October 31. Whereas, the NiftySearch page for transcribing only missed by November 29. [The date for both should have been December 15]. The problems with 'pointing' do seem to be worse for the more recent archives, in general... Usually.

Also, I'm still getting randomly logged out of the forums in spite of the "Keep me logged in" checkbox. I load a bunch of tabs at the same time, and so I usually start on "Reactions" and "Sluggy Related Chat" more or less simultaneously. Curiously, it is not uncommon for me to be (still) logged in on one page and then logged out of the other (although, once I'm logged out on one, I am actually logged out on the other as well).

Post Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:53 pm 
@swmartian We're looking into this. Got a reproduction of wrong URL but not wrong strip (Firefox). Was it actually going to the October 31 strip for you? What browser were you using? :riff:

Post Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:59 pm 
Captain_20plus wrote:
@swmartian We're looking into this. Got a reproduction of wrong URL but not wrong strip (Firefox). Was it actually going to the October 31 strip for you? What browser were you using? :riff:

Yes. Firefox 57.0.1 (Quantum) for Mac. Similar issue when clicking on the link that Dalton supplied (Reactions thread for Strip #4 for December, p. 2) for 6/26/17 - I landed on 6/12/17 instead. Although when I retried today, I at least got up to 6/23/17. :-)

Thanks for working on it! Good luck!

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat