Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:07 pm 
Chris wrote:
Hi there

I still had 10 months left on my Defenders subscription on the old site before it went down. I remember Pete made a post on the old Defenders area saying that he would be working on a way to make the old sub carry forward in some way, so it wasn't lost.

Just checking if there are still plans for that, as we haven't heard anything, not even a "hey we're working on it, hold tight".

(Small disclaimer: just because I'm pointing out a problem doesn't mean that I don't like the new site and all of the effort you all put into it ^_^;;)

I have the same question, though I only have 8 months left on mine.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:08 pm 
Dumb question, but I can't find a "log out" button anywhere on the site? I changed my password and I'd like to make sure I can get back in with the new one, and while I can always spin up a private-mode window or clear cookies or whatever, it seems like there ought to be a way to log out of the site.. am I just missing it?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:02 pm 
Zeekar wrote:
Dumb question, but I can't find a "log out" button anywhere on the site? I changed my password and I'd like to make sure I can get back in with the new one, and while I can always spin up a private-mode window or clear cookies or whatever, it seems like there ought to be a way to log out of the site.. am I just missing it?

I couldn't find one, but to test your password, just go into incognito mode and visit the site, if your browser offers that function.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:22 pm 
Hey all, we appreciate all the posts and feedback, it is really helpful. A few of the bugs and issues raised in this thread have been fixed, all of them have been noted & discussed, and most are on the front burner.

So, just to check in and let you know where we are here on launch day, we had some crashing issues right at midnight. The single login thing (site, store, forums, collectibles) has to talk to multiple services and got hung up when we went live. Got that sorted out and the site seems as stable as it was in the testbed now.

As Pete mentioned in news, a few features and some graphics/theming items were left for after launch. He's doing daily comics through the end of August (which don't count toward pledges) and Sluggy 20+ begins on Friday, Sept 1. We hope to have all the major bits sanded down and polished by then. Among those:

- "Logout" as a dropdown option when you hover on your username

- Calendar archives and some comic navigation improvements (the stopgap solution for that is now live. The "View in Archives" link will take you to today's strip at the end of the current chapter, and you can scroll up to read back.)

- Current active Defenders of the Nifty should get all Level 1 rewards for the rest of their subscription time. That'll be added very soon, hopefully today.

- Forum smilies

@Yodimus Can you explain about the "missing page numbers to click on?" We did notice that old-format URLs to strips were broken and we fixed that, but it sounds like you might mean something else

@Linsaran Yep Rob loaned the bulk of his web team to Pete to build out the site for 20+. This project definitely kept us busy while Erfworld's on hiatus. And sharp eye about the window title on account settings. We'll change it, thanks.

@sallythetimid Faster/smoother loading when linking to a strip in the middle of a chapter is coming, but if I had to guess, it's a September thing. There are a couple of things we haven't tried yet, and one of them might be an easy fix, but that one's about 25th in line for take-off, so it will be a little while.

Okay! Back to work!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:16 pm 
Thanks for keeping us up-to-date!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:26 am 
Oh yeah, should have clarified I meant the forum, not the front site. In the previous theme, phpBB displayed a thread's page numbers across from the title. Here's a screenshot:

Although I just noticed there's actually a little icon just to the left of the thread titles in the new theme that sends you to the latest unread post. That...might actually replace the need for pagination? I'm not sure yet.

Captain_20plus wrote:
- Calendar archives and some comic navigation improvements (the stopgap solution for that is now live. The "View in Archives" link will take you to today's strip at the end of the current chapter, and you can scroll up to read back.)

Nice to hear! It's already a world of difference with the stopgap. You guys are doin great work!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:28 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Minor issue you can probably throw on the back burner: Scrolling down on the forum's user profile page causes it to shake somewhat violently.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:32 am 
Keeper of the Nifty here... As I suspected, NiftySearch doesn't quite work now - and I suspect it won't be able to be fixed until you get some kind of single date navigation back, correct? I know there was talk about bringing it over to the new website... I'm sure you have higher order priorities, but I would like not too fall too far behind if possible. Technically, it looks like I can still transcribe (just not as conveniently), but I'm not sure if I want to risk it until I know what I'm transcribing will actually match a comic and not a 404 error. Please keep me in the loop as y'all figure this one out! I mainly just want to be sure it was on someone's list. :-)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:38 am 
So I'm very happy about the pledge system and looking forward to supporting Sluggy.

There's a problem though. The “wheneverly” schedule means there's no reasonable upper cap; I'm happy to commit to $5/month even if I get only 1 strip, but $15 in a month would be a bit much in my budget even if I get 31. A fair value, but it wouldn't fit my budget.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:11 am 
lalo wrote:
So I'm very happy about the pledge system and looking forward to supporting Sluggy.

There's a problem though. The “wheneverly” schedule means there's no reasonable upper cap; I'm happy to commit to $5/month even if I get only 1 strip, but $15 in a month would be a bit much in my budget even if I get 31. A fair value, but it wouldn't fit my budget.

Zillatain explained it there:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=95950

tl;dr - Pete will never make more than 12 strips per month, this is a cap.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:13 am 
VcSaJen wrote:
lalo wrote:

Zillatain explained it there:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=95950

tl;dr - Pete will never make more than 12 strips per month, this is a cap.

Odd place for it :-D thanks. (I guess anyone comes looking for it here, they'll find your link.)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:43 pm 
swmartian wrote:
Keeper of the Nifty here... As I suspected, NiftySearch doesn't quite work now - and I suspect it won't be able to be fixed until you get some kind of single date navigation back, correct?

Thank you for the stopgap. I can take it from here. But yeah - I'll just cast my vote with the others in favor of single-date navigation. The current mode would use a lot of data the once-a-year I don't have access to wifi and need to use my hotspot (so you have until March - HAHA). That said, the new archive navigation will be quite cool to use once that ability is added. Thanks.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:53 pm 
So… what happened to RSS? The old URL was http://feeds.feedburner.com/sluggy_freelance (which doesn't work now), but there's no new URL at all.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:21 am 
My suggestions for the new site:
(I hope these aren't too repetitive)

1.) Allow calling up single strips via calendar and re-enable the forward, back, first and last buttons.

2.) Allow loading of archives by chapter but set it up in pages and allow users to choose how many strips to display per page. Set a default number of, say, 10 with a maximum number per page to preserve bandwith.

3.) Change the way new defender levels are paid for. Continue to have a per-strip option but also allow a monthly or yearly lump sum. (Consider pushing back the current deadline if the team decides to set this up.)

4.) Ref links should only go to an individual strip rather than calling up a good chunk of the archive.

5.) Enable avatars for the new forum. (I don't have one but many others do).

6.) Possibly have a few on-site "default" avatars to choose from.

7.) ) Clarification on whether spec is allowed in the response threads under a "spoilers" tag.

8.) Allow forum users to choose to go to a particular page on a forum thread if it contains more than one page. Set this up so that users do not have to load the first page of the thread before choosing the page to go to.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:08 am 
Hi there

A few remarks on the site:

1) I second the need for easy and nimble navigation from the current comic
2) The Archive selection page is way too big (>30 MB) which is not very efficient and very mobile user unfriendly. How about lazyloading images or pagination ?
3) Same for the current chapter archive page (>50 MB), that's 80 MB total to access a single archived comic !
4) I find it odd that clicking on any given book in the archive selection shows the back cover (with sometimes barely legible text) instead of the front cover showing the title.
5) I have not pledged but I don't understand how the pawnz work or do. When I click on it nothing happens.
6) Same for bookmarks.
7) The small icon for bookmarks in my profiles>my bookmarks is an 1.2 MB, 1800*600 pixels image which is crazy. You should put a smaller image there and load the big one when, and if, needed.
8) What is this green/black round icon on the bottom right of comics ?

Hope that helps,

Regards

Yves

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat