Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:00 pm 
Captain_20plus wrote:
- Current active Defenders of the Nifty should get all Level 1 rewards for the rest of their subscription time. That'll be added very soon, hopefully today.

Any update on this?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:18 pm 
zhecht wrote:
Captain_20plus wrote:
- Current active Defenders of the Nifty should get all Level 1 rewards for the rest of their subscription time. That'll be added very soon, hopefully today.

Any update on this?

Pete just sent a (somewhat confusing) email to all of the old Defenders saying that there would be bonuses for everyone who was on the system before the end of Thursday.

Pete's email seemed to suggest that anyone who still had their subscription going would need to pay a second time, though that contradicts what he said previously, and what people have been saying in this thread.

I'm so confused now...

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:46 am 
Was having trouble with the mobile site, but it seems to be working as intended now. That's good news!

I'll agree that the site looks great, but it's indeed very sluggish (pun unintended) with all the data required for download. Iron some stuff out and it could be awesome!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:23 am 
The shield, pawnz, and bookmark pictures in the top title bar spin with a mouseover, but only ever once. The animation never gets reset until refreshed. Dunno if this is intentional or a bug.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:26 am 
also, regarding the news posting and why it looks weird. Someone said the text size seemed a bit too big. Maybe. I'll add that the whole thing is in a sans-serif font. Those don't look good in large blocks of text, and we all know Pete can't keep a news alert short.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:15 am 
Seconding the query about RSS.

I use a reader to track a couple of dozen sites, and I'm suddenly missing Sluggy updates :(

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:24 am 
Captain_20plus wrote:
Pete just sent a (somewhat confusing) email to all of the old Defenders saying that there would be bonuses for everyone who was on the system before the end of Thursday.

Pete's email seemed to suggest that anyone who still had their subscription going would need to pay a second time, though that contradicts what he said previously, and what people have been saying in this thread.

I'm so confused now...

He did? Huh... not seeing it, and I keep spam filters disabled at the ISP level. Not worried about it at the moment, but just in case I'm not alone thought I'd report lack of receipt :kzk: . Thanks.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:51 am 
Nifty Admin of Doom
Nifty Admin of Doom
I think the Pete email was not to Defenders, but to anyone who Pledged (assuming we are talking the same email, starting with "Hey there, it's Pete! You are getting this email because you are entitled to own me in virtual pawnz-form! ".
Edit: just noticed this: "For any of you who might be current Defenders of the Nifty, you will have Level 1 perks (ad-free site, Compendium access, pretty much everything you had before PLUS 1000px archives) until your subscription expires, (Thanks for being a Defender of the Nifty for so long!) but you won't get the unlocks unless you pledge the new system. If you do pledge, then you will get an inflatable coin for every month left on your subscription. News post about that is coming in the next 24 hours!"

So you will get Lev 1 perks, but not the special Pawns, unless you pledge again by Thurs.

Thirding the need for the RSS to work. I tried just putting sluggy.com in my feedreader, and it comes back with a feed, so I *can* see when a new comic is posted, but when I click the link, it goes to http://sluggy.com/daily.php?date=170827 and I get a 404.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:35 pm 
I don't like the open ended pledge system. I mean, I like the idea that if Pete doesn't do anything for awhile, we don't give him any money so that way he has motivation to keep working. That's good.

But if he has a sudden burst of creativity, someone at the $.50 pledge level could actually end up with a $11 bill for that month (assumes 22 new strips in a month, i.e, every average weekday). For a service that *used* to cost $25/year, that's a pretty big increase in costs for for the same level of service.

I'd feel more comfortable if we could put a cap on how much could be spent. Pete could see all those caps if you give him the right tools, and that'd let him know how much content people are comfortable paying for. If there becomes diminishing returns for putting out more than, say, 10 strips a month, he'll have that information available and act accordingly. And then people for whom $120/year is a bit steep could limit their expenditures to, say, $2/mth leaving them at the same level they were at the old Defenders (and also signal to Pete that strips counts > 4 in a month will make him less money).

This is good because there's no way to guess, for anyone, how productive Pete is going to be in this new era. If he's comfortable with M-W-F -ish schedule, that could be 12 or so per month.

If he drops to more like 4-6 per month, I fear the very slow pace of content will bother people, unless the extra time means he's willing to make all the new strips 3 row strips or something because he's no longer feeling deadline pressures. But I dunno if I'd believe that until I saw it.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:05 pm 
The idea is to incentivize him to post more often, not disincentivize him... LOL

Pete put a max of 12 per month on the table. I don't know whether that means that he'll never post more than that, or whether that means that if he gets on a roll with a story and posts 13 (for example), we'll still only be charged for 12.

There is also a way to cancel. So you can pledge at a certain level - keeping a "cap" in mind - and cancel when you get to that cap. I agree it is not as convenient. I, too, would like one flat fee, perhaps also at different levels. However, I think Pete wants to be able to say "I need a vacation" and disappear for three months (give or take...) without feeling guilty about it. If no one is paying him for those missing three months, then he owes us nothing. So I get it. And I'll buck up and go ahead and pledge under the new circumstances. I'm curious about these "inflatable coins" that I'm supposed to get - HAHA.

If you don't care about Pawnz, and I don't, then you can always fuss about it some more before taking the plunge. You can jump in and pledge later. I'm not sure how that would work if you've still got time on your old defender's pledge - which I do - so I'm going to go ahead and pledge now.

It would be nice if Pete came up with a way to make signed/doodled books available to some of the more impoverished sluggites that can't come up with the more extravagant pledge level... But maybe that's too time consuming, and therefore more valuable... I guess we'll see...

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:44 pm 
MerlinOfChaos wrote:
I don't like the open ended pledge system. I mean, I like the idea that if Pete doesn't do anything for awhile, we don't give him any money so that way he has motivation to keep working. That's good.

Self-Motivation is one thing. But I really don't like how this has been set up. The minimum is way too high when you add it up compared to the old defenders price.

Even if it IS small amount, I don't like having to keep track of another monthly transaction. I want a once a year thing. I'm uncomfortable having another system having access to my credit card info in these days of constant hackings.

I also don't like placing someone else in charge of how much money I give per month (again, even if it's a small amount).

These are all very valid concerns that should be addressed to maximize sluggy fundraising.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:51 pm 
Chris wrote:
Hi there

I still had 10 months left on my Defenders subscription on the old site before it went down. I remember Pete made a post on the old Defenders area saying that he would be working on a way to make the old sub carry forward in some way, so it wasn't lost.

Just checking if there are still plans for that, as we haven't heard anything, not even a "hey we're working on it, hold tight".

(Small disclaimer: just because I'm pointing out a problem doesn't mean that I don't like the new site and all of the effort you all put into it ^_^;;)

Hey Chris,

Just to clarify, if you were currently subscribed as an old Defender when the new site was launched, you will be grandfathered in for the remainder of your Defender's subscription. You don't have to pay twice or do anything special to have your current membership transferred. However to clarify, once your annual subscription runs out, you will have to pledge to the new system in order to remain a backer. Also, if you want to take advantage of some of the higher-tier rewards (i.e. new Pawnz, new bookmarks, super secret reward, etc) you have the option to pledge the new system immediately. Also, since you were a backer previous to the new system, we have a special perk coming shortly. More info soon from a future news post from Pete!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:17 pm 
How are you linking the old Defenders accounts with the forum accounts? I'm not sure I used the same username for both. I do think the e-mails were the same, though. Also I'm assuming that we will get our Pete Pawnz added to our accounts after the first 20+ strip is loaded?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:05 am 
I did have the same name between accounts I think (gosh, I can't believe I've already forgotten, it might be a different username but the same e-mail), but it's weird. I could swear when the site first went up, it said that I still had my defenders status, and now it says I'm not a defender at all. I'm pretty sure my defenders account didn't lapse, but I can't seem to find the receipt for it anywhere. Hmm.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:14 am 
Site Design crew:

What does "View in Archives" really mean when you attached it to today's comic? You may want to reconsider this. I can't imagine ANY need to ever click on this. Remember -- imagine this from the user's prospective, not your own.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat