Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:40 pm 
swmartian wrote:
Captain_20plus wrote:
@swmartian We're looking into this. Got a reproduction of wrong URL but not wrong strip (Firefox). Was it actually going to the October 31 strip for you? What browser were you using? :riff:

Yes. Firefox 57.0.1 (Quantum) for Mac. Similar issue when clicking on the link that Dalton supplied (Reactions thread for Strip #4 for December, p. 2) for 6/26/17 - I landed on 6/12/17 instead. Although when I retried today, I at least got up to 6/23/17. :-)

Thanks for working on it! Good luck!

More information. Third time's a charm. Dalton's link landed me where it should: 6/26/17. But your question got me thinking, so I also checked my Windows computer, where I'm running pre-quantum FF: 52.5.2 FF ESR - that FF version also landed me on 6/26/17 with Dalton's link.

However (there's always a "however")... FF Quantum lands me at 11/6/17 when I click on "View in Archives" today; FF 52 lands me more or less correctly on 12/15/17 (not quite today's comic, but significantly closer). Just in case that helps....

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:38 pm 
Nailed it! "View in archives" was spot on today (at least from FF Quantum for Mac - my other computer is not with me at the moment). Good job!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:01 pm 
Earlier, when reading the forums using chrome on an android phone, I was receiving messages that pop-ups were being blocked. While the problem still potentially could be on my end, this also raises the question of whether the site would be better off selling advertising space to someone else.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:26 pm 
slightlylooney wrote:
Earlier, when reading the forums using chrome on an android phone, I was receiving messages that pop-ups were being blocked. While the problem still potentially could be on my end, this also raises the question of whether the site would be better off selling advertising space to someone else.

Yeah, we just killed all main page ads for mobile users. :bunbun: Pretty sick of our main company not fixing it. This will cost Pete some money until we find a better solution (the week before Christmas is one of the top weeks for banner ads), but everybody agreed we had to do something.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:57 pm 
Captain_20plus wrote:
slightlylooney wrote:

Yeah, we just killed all main page ads for mobile users. :bunbun: Pretty sick of our main company not fixing it. This will cost Pete some money until we find a better solution (the week before Christmas is one of the top weeks for banner ads), but everybody agreed we had to do something.

Wait, this was only happening for mobile?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:42 pm 
GAAAH! I just finished transcribing today's Sluggy - and I had to flip back and forth between two tabs in order to do so: When I maneuvered to today's date, I got the landing page "Comics not yet in books". I was confused, since that's usually where it lands on days where I simply transcribe "No comic today, <day>, <date>)". So I tried to see if I could scroll beyond that, and I could, to a blank blue background. I was at the right place, as the box with the Oasis painting links was visible - but no comic! When I get a blank page while viewing the archives, I can get the comic to appear by 'jiggling' the page - but 'jiggling' the page did not work here. And lag was not the problem because it still had not appeared by the time I was done transcribing... :-(

Does this problem have something to do with starting a brand new chapter (as opposed to a subchapter)?

Thanks in advance for looking into this - and hopefully fixing it before the next new comic. :-)

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:24 pm 
swmartian wrote:
...and I had to flip back and forth between two tabs in order to [transcribe]... :-(

*Whimper.*

Still a problem with the 12/22 comic.

*Whimper.*

I note that it is fine in the archives. There is a lag before the comic appears, which is a little longer than the normal lag, but it does appear - so the problem has something to do with the NiftySearch interface????

*Whimper.*

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:41 pm 
swmartian wrote:
swmartian wrote:
...and I had to flip back and forth between two tabs in order to [transcribe]... :-(

*Whimper.*

Still a problem with the 12/22 comic.

*Whimper.*

I note that it is fine in the archives. There is a lag before the comic appears, which is a little longer than the normal lag, but it does appear - so the problem has something to do with the NiftySearch interface????

*Whimper.*

I would assume so. The NiftySearch interface was presumably designed to work with the old archive system.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:23 pm 
swmartian wrote:

*Whimper.* *Whimper.* *Whimper.*

OK, possible hint: So in the middle of transcribing Tuesday's comic my computer freezes and I have to reboot. This unfortunately means that on top of the pain of having to flip back and forth between two tabs in order to transcribe, I lost what I had transcribed to that point. So here's the odd thing. When the computer rebooted and I retrieved my Firefox tabs, I was no longer logged in as an administrator. The tab produced an error message saying that I couldn't view the archives - and the blank box was not available for me to transcribe in - BUT I could see the comic! When I relogged in, I was back to the original problem: the comic was gone again. That behavior suggests that somehow the administrative role is overriding the layering (or changing the order). So today I decided to try to transcribe as an ordinary sluggite to see if I still had the issue. Damn! How do I do that????? I hit "Transcribe Sluggy" and it directed me to a random comic in 2010. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get to the one sluggy comic that needed to be transcribed. I know that people have filled in for me in the past if I get overwhelmed with work and fall behind on the transcription... But how? Jeez. OK, so I don't know how to test whether or not the issue is with the administrative role, but it seems like a few things are starting break with the interface to the new website...

I'm not sure I should ask DaveRhodes (the sluggite who set the transcription site up to start with) since my understanding (and his) is that NiftySearch will be (eventually) absorbed into the new website (once y'all finish what you need to finish on it first). So I'm pretty sure that he figured he was in the clear and wouldn't have to figure out how to better interconnect with the new website...

Is there any chance that y'all can figure out the problem on your end? Or perhaps its time to make the move and bring us over?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:23 pm 
Hey swmartian, thanks for continuing to provide the detailed reports. The niftysearch system does indeed remain on our development slate. Dunno if now's the time, but the issue with the strip-linking is still a live one. (We were a little surprised that some initial "let's try a dumb fix" things worked as well as they did, but we're not done making it bulletproof.)

Main issue with responding and keeping at it this past week and into next is the holidays did whittle the team down to a Jack Skellington crew. We'll be back again :oasis: in full force on this stuff shortly into the new year, and for now, I think we can take a look at the one transcription problem sometime tomorrow.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:00 pm 
swmartian: We took a look at transcribing on Firefox on a Windows machine here and the comic landing seemed to behave as expected over a few trials. It does sound like it's an intermittent problem that you're experiencing so it could be tricky to track down. It's a matter of browser behavior that could be varying between browsers (or the same browser across operating systems).

Missing comics when viewing in administrator mode is a interesting one. It's possible there's some javascript being run for admins that can crash or otherwise interfere with the javascript loading of comic images. We don't have sluggy.info admin access to investigate this right now.

As an aside, looking at the Sluggy.info faq it seems to be by design that regular users cannot navigate to a specific strip to transcribe.
Can I transcribe a different comic than the one I'm given?

There is a way you can be assigned a new comic to transcribe, but there's no way for you to pick the one you'd like to transcribe.
The text box can't see if you move around Sluggy.com at all, so it assumes that whatever you type into that box is the transcript for the strip it originally gave you. If you browsed the archives before transcribing, please click the word "comic" below the text box to be instantly snapped back to the strip it wants you to transcribe.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:42 pm 
Captain_20plus wrote:
swmartian: We took a look at transcribing on Firefox on a Windows machine here and the comic landing seemed to behave as expected over a few trials. It does sound like it's an intermittent problem that you're experiencing so it could be tricky to track down. It's a matter of browser behavior that could be varying between browsers (or the same browser across operating systems).

My experience is that this issue remains problematic - for Nifty Search at any rate. For instance, both Windows and Apple (for me) land on the "Comics not yet in books" for any comic in the current chapter. But this is a minor issue, and I trust that it will resolve when we move Nifty Search over.

Captain_20plus wrote:
Missing comics when viewing in administrator mode is a interesting one. It's possible there's some javascript being run for admins that can crash or otherwise interfere with the javascript loading of comic images. We don't have sluggy.info admin access to investigate this right now.

This is the more annoying problem. Interestingly, when I last wrote, I used the "No Script" add-on to toggle a 'googleapis' script from trusted to untrusted on the main page. Untrusted, and I couldn't see the comic, just the background. Trusted, I could see the comic. That information didn't really help, because it was toggled as trusted on NiftySearch. Interestingly, today that script isn't in the "No Script" list for the main comic... ? Weird. But it does appear to support the idea that administrative mode is interfering somehow with a javascript. I guess that means this problem will persist until y'all are ready to move us over, or until Pete grows tired of using a background for the comic. :-P Oh well.

Captain_20plus wrote:
As an aside, looking at the Sluggy.info faq it seems to be by design that regular users cannot navigate to a specific strip to transcribe.

Yeah.... NiftySearch was originally designed to facilitate a group effort to transcribe ~12 years worth of Sluggy. Since I've been more or less the only one maintaining the transcripts once that group effort was realized, the program could use some changes... When y'all are ready to move us over, we should 'talk'.

For now, my understanding is that clicking on "Transcribe Sluggy" should result on landing on an untranscribed comic. If there is only one comic left to transcribe, then it should land on that one. But perhaps it needs (at least) two untranscribed to work properly. Hmmm. I will check on that this weekend and report back. Or the flag function (which is obsolete) is interfering. I'll see if I can figure that out...

Thank you for your efforts - particularly over the holiday!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:39 pm 
swmartian wrote:
swmartian wrote:

*Whimper.* *Whimper.* *Whimper.*

YAY! I have a work-around! So you guys are off the hook for now.

Yes, the layering of comic and background is somehow blocked by the administrative role (and likely involving a javascript - something to keep an eye on when we do get moved over). I can see the comic fine as an anonymous transcriber.

Yes, in order to land on a non-transcribed comic as an anonymous transcriber, there has to be at least two comics that are not transcribed. Probably because of the randomizing algorithm (again, left over from when we had massive amounts of Sluggy to transcribe).

So I will just stay a comic behind until Pete returns to producing comics without the background (or until we get moved over, whichever comes first). I will still have to log in to lock the transcripts, but doing that after the fact is still less of an inconvenience than flipping back and forth between tabs.

And I'll stop whimpering now! Thanks!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:42 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
I can no longer see Pete's avatar. I wouldn't have bothered posting, except it's Pete's avatar. Could an admin maybe try and fix that? Pretty please?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:12 pm 
Update: Did y'all do something? If so, it worked! If not, good job thinking about it! LOL. I can now see the comic in admin mode. So hopefully, I don't need my work-around. The 'landing' is still a bit off... I get the previous day comic on NiftySearch as a non-admin, and with the admin I land on 'shoulder worms'. :-) So the admin mode is definitely tangling up the display somehow.... Oh well, that's a future problem... THANKS!

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat