Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:52 pm 
randomlanguage wrote:
In today's (11/6/17) strip, Oasis was commanded to "forget about Torg." I have a hunch that this is going to create some cognitive dissonance like this time Torgy and Override B-1 conflicted.

It's hard for me to believe, commanded or not, that she could just forget about Torg, but that's possibly because her love for Torg has been so long established.

Yes, the command did not tell her to stop loving Torg, only to forget him. That may be where Schlock goes wrong... Ultimately I think this is how she will break free of her programming - and become a "controlled mind made human". However, will this conflict happen soon?? That may be the real question. LOL.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:30 pm 
Schloberts just tried to undo Override B-1. We still don't understand the origin of the command, and it seems a bit flippant that it can be undone so easily.

Can it be that easy?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:32 pm 
If all that we heard said applies (forget Torg, no more Override B-1, under control of Schlock forever), does that essentially make Oasis into Harbinger?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:39 am 
I'm wondering if "forget about Torg" is going to be an ongoing order. Meeting Torg might cause a weird look due to the love order.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:44 am 
Well the two commands are in obvious conflict with each other. Ordering someone to be an assassin and also to feel love would be very troubling to the psyche. Looking at the panels of Oasis's reaction to forget Torg seems like relief to a very troubled mind.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:55 am 
I have an inkling of a thought: maybe if Schlock forces her to do some pyrotechnics, it will trigger some memory of Torg.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:43 am 
Not sure how the command "Obey Dr. Schlock" would even work since Oasis has never met the man. The watch was keyed to voice, not to name (or else it wouldn't work for Roberts either). No one said "obey the voice of Dr. Schlock," just "you are under the control of Dr. Schlock forever."

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:44 pm 
Chickenhead wrote:
Not sure how the command "Obey Dr. Schlock" would even work since Oasis has never met the man. The watch was keyed to voice, not to name (or else it wouldn't work for Roberts either). No one said "obey the voice of Dr. Schlock," just "you are under the control of Dr. Schlock forever."

I did not notice what Kusari was doing until I was transcribing today's comic. Note how Kusari keeps saying "Dr. Schlock" in that first dialog panel. At first I thought it was Pete being sloppy - Kusari speaks to Irving with familiarity and has always (or at least for quite some time) referred to him familiarly as Irving. Then I remembered this post, and wandered if Pete was covering that problem. Sure enough, as soon as Oasis obeys "Dr. Schlock", Kusari returns to referring to him as "Irving".

To the extent that Kusari is capable of 'independent' thought, it appears that she uses it to further the hC cause....

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:03 am 
swmartian wrote:

To the extent that Kusari is capable of 'independent' thought, it appears that she uses it to further the hC cause....

If Kusari is capable of independent thought then all bets are off. She can do what she wills.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:36 am 
swmartian wrote:
Chickenhead wrote:

I did not notice what Kusari was doing until I was transcribing today's comic. Note how Kusari keeps saying "Dr. Schlock" in that first dialog panel. At first I thought it was Pete being sloppy - Kusari speaks to Irving with familiarity and has always (or at least for quite some time) referred to him familiarly as Irving. Then I remembered this post, and wandered if Pete was covering that problem. Sure enough, as soon as Oasis obeys "Dr. Schlock", Kusari returns to referring to him as "Irving".

That's perceptive and probably accurate with regard to getting Oasis to follow Dr. Schlock's command. However, I think you're missing something here in the conclusion you've drawn. Kusari wanted Schlock to command Oasis to carry Torg and it wasn't necessarily to "further the hC cause." She got Dr. Schlock give Oasis the order to carry Torg by suggesting that carrying him might cause her to die from her injuries. Might be plausible, but she didn't mention anything about what she was already carrying.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:39 pm 
There is a big hole in Schlock's control over Oasis. The one thing she hasn't forgotten: Zoe.

All it takes is her face popping up on someone's phone and there will be fireworks.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:53 pm 
Lord Golbez wrote:
swmartian wrote:
Chickenhead wrote:

That's perceptive and probably accurate with regard to getting Oasis to follow Dr. Schlock's command. However, I think you're missing something here in the conclusion you've drawn. Kusari wanted Schlock to command Oasis to carry Torg and it wasn't necessarily to "further the hC cause." She got Dr. Schlock give Oasis the order to carry Torg by suggesting that carrying him might cause her to die from her injuries. Might be plausible, but she didn't mention anything about what she was already carrying.

You may have a point (no pun intended...). I am unsure how Pete could carry out a Kusari-Sasha "redemption" here and make it believable, though. Up until this point, Kusari has shown allegiance to the hC CEO without prejudice. When she punched Torg unconscious it did not appear to be someone unemotionally carrying out orders. There was anger in those eyes. So why would she suddenly deviate from that directive now, at this moment? hC, regardless of how decimated, still exists as an entity, and Schlock is still CEO - hC has been even more decimated previously (when they all had to get jobs at BurgerMeister). If she was not capable of breaking free then - how could she be capable of breaking free now? But, if she is - then she has her own (or Sin'thea's) agenda. She is not helping the gang - and probably not even Riff; certainly not Torg.

P.S. Do we know how Chaz works in terms of who his "Master" is? Can Kusari use him as anything other than a normal sword as long as Torg is alive? That is, will innocent blood wake him up in anyone else's hands?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:11 pm 
Re:Chaz I always felt he (it?) would work for anybody. "Master" is the honourary title of his wielder. I'm pretty sure Chaz talked about some of his past masters when he first talked.

I noticed Oasis looks a little lost in thought in the last panel. I could imagine the confused train of thought going through her head. "I've just meet this Torg, but I think I love him. Why would I love him if I've just meet him and he's unconscious?"

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:26 pm 
yurak wrote:
Re:Chaz I always felt he (it?) would work for anybody. "Master" is the honourary title of his wielder. I'm pretty sure Chaz talked about some of his past masters when he first talked.

I agree that Chaz will work for anyone - my question is whether or not the previous Master has to be dead first. That is, if Kusari-Sasha had killed Torg, then I have no doubt that she would be Chaz's new Master. However, since Torg is still alive, who is Chaz's Master now? Torg, because he is still alive, or K-S, because she wields him?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:34 pm 
swmartian wrote:
yurak wrote:

I agree that Chaz will work for anyone - my question is whether or not the previous Master has to be dead first. That is, if Kusari-Sasha had killed Torg, then I have no doubt that she would be Chaz's new Master. However, since Torg is still alive, who is Chaz's Master now? Torg, because he is still alive, or K-S, because she wields him?

It appears that it is not necessary to kill the former master. King Farahn took Chaz from Satan without killing him and had no problems using Kron's innocent blood to kill him later.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat