Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:04 am 
swmartian wrote:
BUT, I also don't think it is that simple. There appears to be something that OASIS has that Sasha/Kusari does not - and Sasha/Kusari wants. Something tells me that autonomous-potential is not what Sasha/Kusari is trying to get right now... Partly because I'm not sure how that can be a transferrable power. But I'm not sure what other difference could be so important to Sasha/Kusari. Any guesses??

Possibly the intantaneous nature of the quantum entanglement technology which connects Oasis to her satellite is what gives her the edge over Kusari who only has an 'old AOL link'.

That and the stealthing.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:36 am 
It would probably be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to transfer Oasis's so-called quantum entanglement technology to Kusari, but that does raise a good question: how the heck is Kusari able to control three clones at once without using quantum entanglement? Given the lower bandwidth of her AOL satellite and the inevitable lag involved when communicating with an object in low earth orbit, how could Kusari ever hope to be effective in combat? Perhaps that's the reason she didn't fare so well during her battle with the Vrykolakas masters?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:54 am 
kansaichris wrote:
... how the heck is Kusari able to control three clones at once without using quantum entanglement? Given the lower bandwidth of her AOL satellite and the inevitable lag involved when communicating with an object in low earth orbit, how could Kusari ever hope to be effective in combat?

That's a very good question! I never considered the mechanics or logistics beyond the "3 active at one time" rule we've learned.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:29 am 
Quote:
It would probably be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to transfer Oasis's so-called quantum entanglement technology to Kusari, but that does raise a good question: how the heck is Kusari able to control three clones at once without using quantum entanglement? Given the lower bandwidth of her AOL satellite and the inevitable lag involved when communicating with an object in low earth orbit, how could Kusari ever hope to be effective in combat? Perhaps that's the reason she didn't fare so well during her battle with the Vrykolakas masters?

I wouldn't think that AOL would have the bandwidth to control one, let alone 3, clones.
This may be the reason it takes a little while to "awaken" a new Kusashi. The satellite has to download the basics to the clone. Combat training, language, maybe "emotion emulation" protocols? Or at least the "doesn't bother me at all" protocols?
After all, AOL was never known for bandwidth, let alone speed.

If Oasis has a quantum entanglement connection to O.A.S.I.S., speed and bandwidth aren't factors. Oasis can awaken, shower, dress, and arm up, while her satellite just loads her up with what it perceives as her needs. That's why she fades into reality outside the door underground. Probably held unaware to prevent any possibility of the rebirth facility's location.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:52 am 
So now we know more about her brain: it is only half satellite. The question/spec for me is whether the half that's been awakening is the human half. Can she overcome being turned off? I think so.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:08 pm 
randomlanguage wrote:
So now we know more about her brain: it is only half satellite. The question/spec for me is whether the half that's been awakening is the human half. Can she overcome being turned off? I think so.

I agree. I think it will be like a computer that is shut off unexpectedly and then reboots in "safe mode" with local, non-networked functions only. That leads to another question: are her memories and personality downloaded into the clone-brain upon activation, or are they stored in the satellite memory and accessed purely through that link?

In the former case, she should wake up as Oasis, but without the immortality factor (and no pyro, but as has been pointed out, that was already shut off).

If the latter situation is true, she could be a truly blank slate until the computer connection is reestablished... or any latent brain pattern (Sinthea, or Rana, or whoever) could develop and then be able to resist "Oasis" when/if the satellite is back online.

You can probably tell that I don't delve into Oasis spec often. ;)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:34 pm 
It just hit me. DoR Schlock had Oasis. Oasis Project is known to transfer memories from different clones. Yet he still didn't figure out how to do nanites without memory resets (well, there were, but they didn't completely stop ageing and were weaker overall). That means he didn't figure-out Oasis, he just slapped his DFA and called it good?..

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:02 pm 
To be honest, I'm not entirely convinced that Oasis controlled any orbital DFA cannons in the DoR. As far as I can tell, A.I. Links Multi-U (a.k.a. "Lynx") was the one in charge of fluxing 4U City invaders. (Unless Lynx is somehow intertwined with the O.A.S.I.S. satellite?)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:58 pm 
kansaichris wrote:
As far as I can tell, A.I. Links Multi-U (a.k.a. "Lynx") was the one in charge of fluxing 4U City invaders. (Unless Lynx is somehow intertwined with the O.A.S.I.S. satellite?)

I don't think it is intertwined in the DoN at least. The A.I. Links Multi-U here kept working when the O.A.S.I.S. satellite was shut down.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:49 pm 
Hm, what if....the Lynx decides to take over the body of Oasis? Given the good doctor's statement today about computers making their own decisions....

It's not like Harbinger's personality was very Oasis-like.

I still wonder where Oasis' clones come from. We have Feng's horrified reaction when he opened the trunk oh-so-long ago...and DoR Strom "sniped from the pipes" and took out Harbinger, and then for no reason suddenly thought he killed a citizen by accident.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:25 pm 
Good questions. The way I see it, there are two elements of OASIS left that we still don't know yet:

1. How Dr. Steve's Rebirth facility actually makes clones from scratch (in particular since this is supposed to be different from how Sashas, a limited resource, are made)

2. How her Satellite's "brain" really works.

Either of these could just be lampshaded if they're not important to the story, but something tells me at least one of these unknowns are, if not both.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:18 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
1. How Dr. Steve's Rebirth facility actually makes clones from scratch (in particular since this is supposed to be different from how Sashas, a limited resource, are made)

Do we really know that Oasis is supposed to be an unlimited resource?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:03 pm 
No, but we can assume it. Otherwise having lacked a project manager for the past decade, Schlock would've needed a plan in case Oasis just stopped showing up. He never had a deadline for his Triangle plan though, so that suggests there was no sunset date besides whatever the lifespan of the satellite is. That could be 50 years (purely going by the age of the IRL oldest operating satellite), or even indefinitely (given sci-fi HeretiCorp tech).

The easiest explanation: there were just THAT many rebirth clones sitting in the facility.

My main reservation against it simply being that, is Oasis was meant to be a deadly yet disposable assassin you send on suicide missions. How many clones is "enough" in that situation? That's a tough number to decide on, so typically the best thing to do is not decide - keep a buffer so there's a quick replacement, but otherwise devise a system where your supply never runs out.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:15 am 
Realistically, there's no way Oasis could be truly unlimited unless a wizard did it. Also, neither Schlock nor anyone from Hereticorp had ever been to Oasis' rebirth facility. The best he could possibly do is make predictions based on what they know from Kusari.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:00 am 
Updated WOHFITAH with an archive detail only Pete ever noticed. At least, relative to the readership nearly 19 years later.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat