Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:06 am 
FullMetalArchivist wrote:
erewhon wrote:
The numbers at the front of each line of pods seems to be row numbers, and the blank spaces at the front of each row suggest that there have been at least 7 Oasis rebirths decanted so far...

Well, I do think Oasis has died seven times in-comic...
  1. At Dr. Steve's base lab
  2. At 'the cliff' after she tried to marry Torg
  3. In the hospital after her fight with Kusari
  4. During DDA when clone-Aylee shish-kabobbed her and Sasha
  5. When Nash/Strom/etc. sniped her before she fought him
  6. When Nash/Strom decapitated her while she was in H-C custody
  7. When H-C sniped her just now

We can't really see the whole facility, but that might work out.

Overall, I think this whole facility has a very organic feel, like the tanks are pods on vines. Plus Oasis seems wired into the camera system, and the place is somehow still running years later. And remember how Dr. Steve's base-lab somehow was buried underground before Torg or H-C knew where it was? I'm wondering if these buildings were/are 'alive' somehow, and that life is connected to Oasis.

Well she may have died a time or two before that as well while undergoing training from Dr Steve.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:26 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Well I skimmed that last few pages and to see if anyone's said it and it looks like they haven't so here goes.

Multiple Oasis Theory: CONFIRMED!!

Last edited by Dodger77 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:34 pm 
erewhon wrote:
Like Bioshock creepy? :-)

Well, given how struck Torg was by all the nudity, I meant more perv-creepy.

erewhon wrote:
Perhaps the little girl with Pyrotechnic psychic abilities came first and Steve took her mature DNA to begin his rebirth experiments.

That would be plausible, except we know that Oasis's DNA is from Synthea LaMorte. It doesn't match anything we've been shown for Synthea to have been the little girl in the orphanage.

Maybe all the clones age at the same rate?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:37 pm 
FullMetalArchivist wrote:
[*]During DDA when Cloney shish-kabobbed her and Sasha

That double-skewering has bothered me since the DDA days. Something always seemed significant about it, but I could never put my finger on what. Over the years I fixed in on the idea that Oasis' and Sasha's blood was comingled by the event, leading to... well, I never really sorted that out. But in light of what we now know, I think that idea was a red herring. I'm calling it - "Sasha" totally died from that wound (in the hospital). The Sasha that re-appeared shortly after that was a whole other copy.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:47 pm 
kitoba wrote:
erewhon wrote:
Like Bioshock creepy? :-)

Well, given how struck Torg was by all the nudity, I meant more perv-creepy.

erewhon wrote:
Perhaps the little girl with Pyrotechnic psychic abilities came first and Steve took her mature DNA to begin his rebirth experiments.

That would be plausible, except we know that Oasis's DNA is from Synthea LaMorte. It doesn't match anything we've been shown for Synthea to have been the little girl in the orphanage.

Maybe all the clones age at the same rate?

Yeah, it hasn't really been explained how the cloning works, or what the difference is with Oasis that Chen was referring to. Chen did say that Daedelus was 'Raised as Steve's son', which implies a certain amount of development.

But what I was thinking was that it's possible that the young Oasis was in fact closer to a biological daughter of Synthea - perhaps a modified ovum, artificially inseminated and genetically (and/or magically) manipulated in vitro, and the adult clones are based upon that original template.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:06 am 
Or they're not clones at all.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:06 am 
Dodger77 wrote:
Well I skimmed that last few pages and to see if anyone's said it and it looks like they haven't so here goes.

Multiple Oasis Theory: CONFRIMED!!

Yes, it cannot be understated how many Oasis theories have been debunked left and right by this chapter subsection. We are close.

As far as cloning goes, we've basically got two flavors here: the traditional kind where your genetic identical is born and grows up like a regular person, and the pod-person kind, where the body is incubated in a tube until a certain age and then put into stasis until needed. Oasis has been both, but I think even the first one was just a vessel. She's never had her own mind, it's always been someone else (and I hope Torg investigates further and runs into her, rather than keep poking that return button...)

The goal here, I think, was immortality. Having a place that stored an indefinite supply of replacement bodies that your mind simply swapped into if your's ever died. That's why Dr. Steve made so many clones of himself. He was trying to replicate Oasis's success on himself, but he clearly failed. This is also the real reason Schlock made Oasis such a high priority. If he or everyone was like Oasis, you wouldn't need fancy nanites to stay alive. You'd simply always stay alive. That's way bigger than Harbinger, that's basically the technological version of godhood.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:58 pm 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
The goal here, I think, was immortality. Having a place that stored an indefinite supply of replacement bodies that your mind simply swapped into if your's ever died. That's why Dr. Steve made so many clones of himself. He was trying to replicate Oasis's success on himself, but he clearly failed. This is also the real reason Schlock made Oasis such a high priority. If he or everyone was like Oasis, you wouldn't need fancy nanites to stay alive. You'd simply always stay alive. That's way bigger than Harbinger, that's basically the technological version of godhood.

YP, I agree with much of what you say. However, we saw precious little of Harbinger. If Schlock found the rebirth facility in the 4U City dimension, why wouldn't she still have immortality? The difference is that in 4U City she, like Sasha/Kusari, remained a "controlled mind". There is a second goal according to Dr. Steve: a "controlled mind made human" - Oasis is coming tantalizingly close to that break through in the nifty universe, and I trust that Pete will let her reach that goal. Although, to what end, I am not sure*.

Also there is the "remarkable healing powers" that are separate from the multiple Oasises and immortality. We still don't know what those powers are. God powers? Medical nanites? Magic? God powers are certainly a possibility - as Bun-Bun (God Sluggy) also appears to demonstrate those "remarkable healing powers", giving that he should have died after Oasis set him on fire (among other examples). On the other hand, those fancy nanites might be more important than you imply...

*I still believe that (original) Dr. Steve will be present when she achieves the breakthrough - perhaps Roberts is not a clone? Perhaps he'll even be shown to be a hero instead of a monster... Regardless, who is Chen really working for right now?

P.P.S. Did Pete ever actually think he'd finish telling this story by last August? LOL

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:25 am 
It's been speculated for years that Steve didn't really die in that explosion. And there was a Steve-like person at the end of Fire And Rain iirc.

Hey, here's another thought - what if the Steve we met was just another faulty clone? The Steve in Oasis' memories seems a lot more sane than the one Torg met.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 am 
With all the reveals regarding Oasis an Kusari, should we stop for a moment to consider why Oasis was central to Schlock's triangle plan all this time?
A popular interpretation is that Oasis channels the conciseness of of a deity, but what use would Schlock have for that?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:00 am 
migB wrote:
With all the reveals regarding Oasis an Kusari, should we stop for a moment to consider why Oasis was central to Schlock's triangle plan all this time?
A popular interpretation is that Oasis channels the conciseness of of a deity, but what use would Schlock have for that?

Personally I think it's something to do with a better AI that's instrumental to C4U.

If Torg releases an Oasis I'm wondering if she's gonna be "Torgy! *glomp!* or "Intruder!" untill she sees herself in the mirror. I think there's something about that mirror regarding Oasis activating her programming.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:59 pm 
Why is everyone being so insistent that the mirror activates her programming or something?

Here’s my theory: Oasis uses the mirror to do those gigantic pigtails of hers.

Remember: not even Oasis herself knows where this facility is. The first thing she remembers after being reborn isn’t until after she leaves. I’d guess that there’s some override for the rebirth process.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:11 pm 
I'm wondering if it's significant that the mirror isn't a "station".

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:06 am 
It would be extremely significant if it was a station, that's for sure. As a regular mirror...I don't know. It could still be important. She needs to do up her ponytails somehow...

swmartian wrote:
If Schlock found the rebirth facility in the 4U City dimension, why wouldn't she still have immortality?

Ah, but there's the question: DID Schlock find the rebirth facility in the DoR? Something that I noticed about the DoR Schlock is that Old Grumpy Riff mentions he completed his Triangle...but notice that it's the orbital DFAs that are the cornerstone of his plan, not "Harbinger". Harbinger is just there, present but unremarked. And y'know, Old Riff never describes the circumstances of his Zoe's death beyond what he says on that page. Which makes me wonder if Oasis was even involved in her death. If she had been, he would have definitely known since he looked all through the timeline. Maybe Zoe is fated to have an untimely death in every dimension, but the specifics are different for each one?

In the DoN meanwhile, Schlock has his orbital DFAs, and yet Oasis is the cornerstone of his Triangle. That's the driving thing that makes me think the two Schlocks' ultimate plans are actually different. I feel like Riff's fears of the DoN becoming like the DoR is a red herring

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:30 am 
There don't seem to be many knives missing (or any that we see) from the stabby knife-block of doom, given how many times Oasis has died. We never quite see the whole thing, but we see enough that I think we would notice at least fourteen missing. And it kind of looks like they're just sitting there, not really connected to any kind of machine.

So it kind of looks like someone or something replenishes them... but we don't really see enough to be sure.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat