Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:02 pm 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
It's gotta be. She respawned pretty much immediately when she was killed there.
Although it must put her somewhere isolated, on the outskirts of town, otherwise she'd find herself in Podunkton every single time

Her resurrection after Dangerous Days put her "somewhere in the woodlands of Pennsylvania" and IIRC Podunkton was in PA. So I concur with your statement, Yodimus Prime.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:46 pm 
A fact to add to the list:
Oasis is "innocent" in the Chaz definition of the word
(also, she is the first person proven capable of powering Chaz and staying alive). :oasis:

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:42 am 
migB wrote:
A fact to add to the list:
Oasis is "innocent" in the Chaz definition of the word
(also, she is the first person proven capable of powering Chaz and staying alive). :oasis:

True. Until now the idea of someone powering the sword without dying was merely theoretical at best (Torg joking about bloody noses). I don't count magical wishes for raining innocent blood because a) we have no idea where that came from, people may indeed have actually died b) the whole magical wish thing is enough for me to overlook it anyway. Still this may just be a confirmation that the sword can be powered with blood without anyone dying, rather than something unique about Oasis. We were never told that someone needed to die for Chaz to be powered, it just always seemed to be what happened. I'm also not 100% ruling out Torg imagined conversation with Chaz after bROKEN.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:37 am 
I'll add that.

Thinking about Chen's statement a bit more, I think the Rebirth Facility must work...uh, "wirelessly" for lack of a better word. It already must be able to retrieve her soul from her dead body, so why not project it as well? The further away she is when she dies, the longer it takes for the facility to retrieve and re-project her, and after a certain distance she ends up too far out of range to put her back in the same spot. So she ends up popped at the epicenter, with nothing but foggy memories and her training.

That would also explain why she needed to be trained as a survivalist. If she's killed halfway across the globe, she'd suddenly find herself lost and alone in the woods of PA. But if she dies within a certain radius, she can be plunked down right near her old body eventually.

This is the only explanation I can think of that makes all of her different resurrections consistent. Well...besides the fact that it requires physically manifesting her as a perfect clone via some kind of teleportation, which is technology we've never seen demonstrated in the slightest. So yeah.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:18 am 
thumbs through dusty stacks of theories

Umm...did ANYONE call that Daedalus might be a clone/whatever-a-rebirth-is of Dr. Steve?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:00 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
Yodimus_Prime wrote:

Umm...did ANYONE call that Daedalus might be a clone/whatever-a-rebirth-is of Dr. Steve?
no.. it's never been suggested... Way to screw up everything Pete!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:02 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
To be fair, we were told years ago that Dade was Steve's son. There was no need to spec about his nature because as far as we knew it had already been revealed.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:41 pm 
The bigger question is why does Schlock need Chen now? Being a rebirth, Daedalus should absolutely know where the facility is.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:30 pm 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:

I suspected "something" was up last Tuesday, but the "what" completely escaped me.

Bunny Suction wrote:
Kesandru wrote:
And I also agree that Chen has a control watch. Probably why he was giggling. Either that or he knows Dr. Steve is still alive.

I think one of these for sure. Or a third possibility, maybe, is that there is something more to Dr. Steve and Daedalus' connection than just father/son and Chen knows this.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:40 pm 
Kesandru wrote:
The bigger question is why does Schlock need Chen now? Being a rebirth, Daedalus should absolutely know where the facility is.

I might be wrong, but I feel like it's been implied that Daedalus doesn't know he is a rebirth, hence Chen's giggles last week.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:58 pm 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:

Well, we've known that that Dr Steve is Daedalus since The Bug The With and The Robot. We've just lacked context and details. There were a few theories stating that D was an Oasis prototype, which doesn't seem too far off what we've learned today. Of course I've missed out on the better part of a decade's worth of theories, so maybe more was said in my absence.

Yodimus_Prime wrote:
My god, RYXlord's OP is friggin' epic. Kind of intimidating to follow that, but he's passed on into legend almost as long ago so there's no sense waiting for him to do it.

Yodimus_Prime wrote:
Normally this was done by the far more competent and prepared RYXLord.

Aw shucks, you're making me blush. Its nice to have your work appreciated, and its nice to see others taking up the torch. Good on you, Yodimus, for stepping up. This thread gets my official seal of approval, not that you need it. Just keep at it and you'll get the hang of it no time. And when things start to look grim, pass it off onto someone else. Share the burden. No one can bear the weight of the world alone forever - they'll drown in it.

Though this is not my return, I would like to apologize to everyone I let down by my absence for the greater part of this past decade.

WOHPAOH was proof of my love for this story, of my devotion to Pete, the community, and the character of Oasis. I remember, as a younger man, I would go late into the night discussing Sluggy theories with my best friend at the time. We would spend late hours into the night combing over minutia, pecking for gold in the sand, and we'd find so much that would excite and inspire us. We wanted to share that sense of discovery - that magic found when you unravel a particularly juicy clue - with everyone. But as time wore on we realized that all the discussion was so disorganized and amazingly creative theories would rise and fall - both with my friend, here on the forums, and in the IRC - only to eventually fade away into obscurity. It felt like a disservice to not have a centralized repository of lore and speculation where we could actually sit down as a community of fans and get poop done. That's why I created WOHPAOH - so that we could provide a platform to honor everyone who thrills in the unraveling of our little 20+ year mystery. I wanted to take some part of the joy that I had felt and to return that joy back to everyone who helped me feel it.

But I was young, full of fire, and off to university. Suddenly I had less and less time to monitor the forums and to sift through and compile all the wild and fun speculation. I struggled and did what I could, but I simply could not keep up. I told myself that I would find the time to catch up, that my absence would be temporary, but as months turned to years it became clear that that was not the case. I grew guilty, regarding my failings. This was supposed to be an act of love and devotion, and yet I had let everyone down. Throughout the years I would occasionally check the forums, and see that my thread was still there and I would feel my guilt anew knowing that my life had moved on and that I had neither the time nor wherewithal to take up my task once more. "Its only a matter of time," I would say to myself, "before it gets pruned," and I would feel a complicated sense of loss, like knowing a once loved childhood treasure was soon to be gone for good.

Sluggy never stopped being a part of my life. I started reading it over 15 years ago and it helped shape who I am today in ways I'm still discovering. It, and this community, got me through hard times and made good times better. And it has grown, and so have I. Eventually I stopped beating myself up over the dumb things I did when I was young and melodramatic. Eventually, when that rare storyline would come along that would compel me to check the forums, I would look at the WOHPAOH thread, dusty and bloated but still stickied, and I would smile proudly and remember the fire I once possessed. Hearing you speak highly of what I did - that you see the thread as something great instead of a silly old fossil - makes my heart feel lighter. I am proud of what I accomplished, proud that you all have chosen to tend to it and carry it forward through the years, and that now you carry on the legacy. I am honored that it was able to give some of the joy I felt back to you all. If it inspired your imaginations, honed your appreciation for the greater work that is Sluggy, or even just made you smile, then that, here at the end, is perhaps the best expression of my love that I could have hope for.

So thank you for your kind words and for taking up my quarrel with the foe, and thank you to everyone who has posted over the years and to everyone with whom I could share this part of my youth with. Thank you.

Haha, that got a little nostalgic, didn't it? Feels good to have it off my chest.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:01 pm 
gregnier wrote:
Yodimus_Prime wrote:

no.. it's never been suggested... Way to screw up everything Pete!

Uh, yes, yes they did. It was discussed at length at the time of Gwynn's vision. I think we all dropped it when it was "revealed" that Daedalus was Dr. Steve's son.

Most of the discussions were in the original WOHPAOH thread: http://www.sluggy.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3067

And a special thread for DRSTEVEISDAE theories: http://www.sluggy.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3020

To RYXlord: Sounds like you had a ton of fun. I wish I had a buddy that I could have discussed Sluggy with...

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:09 am 
swmartian, I think you found it:
Biggerin from the Daedalus theory thread back in 2005 wrote:
Dr. Steve cloned himself in much the same way as he did with oasis, making a more physically in shape, younger version of himself. This had to have been done at least 23 years ago because daedalus took over in 1982. Presumably, daedalus was either an expiriment gone wrong, or steve had a change of heart and cut tie with hC whie daedalus took over.
(...)

Of course the timeline has been clarified since then, giving a lot more wiggle room for when Dade might have been created.

RYXlord wrote:
Haha, that got a little nostalgic, didn't it? Feels good to have it off my chest.

I salute you and your nutty idea to host a repository of wild speculation about Oasis for as long as you did. Hopefully this thread, be it the final one or not, lives up to the grand tradition!
nonchalantly sweeps the lack of any actual theories in the OP under a rug

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:02 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
Epiphany:

what if Kusari is an awakened Oasis who has returned from Timeless Space and is wearing the mask to avoid a twin fit?

I'm not sure if that was one of the proposed theories or not.

Edit: what i meant by "Awakened." Probably should have said "In control of herself version of..."

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:37 am 
Is it possible that the resurrection facility is neccessary for dr. Schlock to complete his medical nanite research?

After all, we are looking for clues to what Harbinger under hC control really meant in DoR.

Giving himself and his army near-immortality seems worth the efford of the triangle plan for dr. Schlock.
At least a better aim than just having a back-up Kusari :oasis:

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat