Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:01 am 
Well, considering the system contains an automated shower, automated dryer, and automated wardrobe, it stands to reason the knife repository is also automated

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:11 pm 
Right, but it kind of looks like there's just a big shelf of knives that is always full somehow, with no apparent mechanism for replenishing them. Or maybe if we got a closer look it would become clear that this isn't the case. I just thought it was odd, is all.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:28 am 
The whole thing is odd! I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of it. As well as what the hell Torg is hoping to accomplish..

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:55 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
I think sometimes she takes more than just two of the knifes when she is reborn. I seem to recall that one time she appeared to have an unlimited amount of knifes and others kept wondering where she was keeping them all.

Though I guess that still doesn't explain why it appears to be fully stocked with no empty spots.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:56 am 
Nanites. I'm thinking of programmed correctly would be self replicating without getting like the earwigs and could make literally anything.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:06 pm 
Zillatain wrote:
I seem to recall that one time she appeared to have an unlimited amount of knifes and others kept wondering where she was keeping them all.

Bun-bun definitely wondered that: http://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?cha ... 2009-06-05 (although the archives aren't working for me right now)

And one time in Fire and Rain we got a partial answer, but without the archives I don't think I can find it. But she seemed to have a ton of edged weapons strapped to various places on her body. So I'm wondering if her seemingly unending supply of knives once outside of the facility has more to do with being well-stocked and buying more (she has used knives unlike those we just saw, I think).

yurak wrote:
Nanites. I'm thinking of programmed correctly would be self replicating without getting like the earwigs and could make literally anything.

You mean like in the facility? Or on Oasis' person?

But yeah, the whole thing is odd, such as the unending supply of electricity and water (and something for heat - I guess that could be electric).

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:16 am 
Do you think there's an actual in-universe reason SinThea and OASIS wear the same hairstyle, or is it just so we can tell they are connected? :oasis:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:39 pm 
@FullMetalArchivist
I was thinking in the facility to replenish the stock (clothes, knives, etc). If programmed correctly they'd know when to stop. Thus having a permanently supplied area with zero (or minimal) human dependance. This would then lead to the potential of the City 4U robotics building.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:07 am 
FullMetalArchivist wrote:
So I'm wondering if her seemingly unending supply of knives once outside of the facility has more to do with being well-stocked and buying more (she has used knives unlike those we just saw, I think).

I'm starting to think that these "default Oasis-knives" may be special in some kind of way. They are shown in most encounters but taken for granted. I wouldn't be surprised if this is another one "secret hidden in plain sight"-parts of the comic.

Regards,

TCC

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:53 am 
Bear in mind that Bun Bun remarks on Oasis unlimited supply of knives just as he plucks his pistol out of nowhere. It's probably some kind of Gods-only store-your-stuff-in-another-dimension type thing, if it isn't just a comic book convention.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:02 pm 
I recall Oasis fights where she's threw 3-4 knives and still has more to fight with. I'm thinking probably the Bun Bun fight and one again Kusari. Usually Oasis has restocked then between panels so we never see where she's pulled then from. With those body hugging costumes you'd see any bulges for concealed blade.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:03 pm 
sbmassey wrote:
Bear in mind that Bun Bun remarks on Oasis unlimited supply of knives just as he plucks his pistol out of nowhere. It's probably some kind of Gods-only store-your-stuff-in-another-dimension type thing, if it isn't just a comic book convention.

Since I have too much time on my hands (or no sense of priorities, actually), I've been going through and carefully looking at the knives Oasis uses. I might post a list of how her knife use has changed over time (her 'default' knives never showed up in her first appearance with Dr. Steve).

Anyway, her 'default' knives are long and curved; she throws them and uses them for hand-to-hand combat. She also uses knives designed for throwing and throwing stars on occasion. And a couple times we get glimpses of where she keeps them all:
http://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?cha ... 2002-01-19
http://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?cha ... 2002-01-22

http://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?cha ... 2001-02-24

As for where Bun-bun keeps his glock/switchblade, your guess is as good as mine... the 'pocket dimension' may well be right, or just comic book/video game logic.

It's also interesting that Kusari knew about Oasis' "know thyself" from the beginning; when the comic was put out it just seems to be because they are 'family,' but it could be because of the conversation Oasis just had with Sasha and Tord.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:31 am 
The Bunbun/Oasis thing happened after a long chase in which Oasis was continually throwing knives - presumably too many to carry - so when Bunbun asks where she keeps her knives and pulls out his glock, maybe it is just his way of pointing out that they come from the same place, whatever that may be, or at least underlining the similarity.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:26 am 
So it turns out the word "the" wasn't the issue, Chen forgot the word "only".

Also, when did Roberts get decidedly less goofy? That's pretty brutal. Maybe he really is Steve in disguise.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:32 am 
Bun-bun is a wascally wabbit. He obviously has access to Hammerspace. How Oasis does it, I don't know.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat