Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post subject: Oceans Unmoving
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:06 pm 
Pete's made an announcement about Oceans Unmoving 3 as the bonus story for book 15. Personally I'm quite excited it's one of them arcs which intrigued me, but I'm aware a lot of Sluggites found it slow paced and confusing (especially after the legendary That Which Redeems II)

Post subject: Re: Oceans Unmoving
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:38 am 
I found it to progress quite well, but I also had the benifit of reading it in the archives. The other thing to bear in mind is that the length of Pete's story arcs have gotten significantly longer over the years, and I expect OU3 to follow that pattern, taking roughly a year to a year and a half to complete.

I would now like to take this time to invite wild and rampant speculation as to the possible plot of what will undoubtedly be the most epic and wild chapter of the Oceans Unmoving saga, if not the whole of Sluggy Freelance.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:27 am 
AOL: Pug+Smasher
You know, when I read Oceans Unmoving a day at a time as it was first happening, it was tough to follow, but I thought it was an okay diversion. Having read through it again one or two times since then on archive trawls, it is a much different read, flowing much better and generally being awesome. To top it all off, we're really starting to really get an inkling as to just how Calix, Kada and Timeless Space in general ties in to the rest of the Sluggyverse besides just being a crazy place for Bun Bun to tool around in.

I keep meaning to pick up the rest of the Sluggy compilations after the Megatomes (got those a long time ago), but an Oceans Unmoving bonus story may be just the thing I need to get off my lazy butt and get the rest.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:25 am 
I'm really excited for the new arc. I'm gutted it's a book bonus story and by that logic I don't believe it to have any ground breaking new information (that would be a mean trick to pull on loyal followers), but I think it will give a better understanding of the links eg Uncle Time.
I was blessed to read UO from the archives.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:10 pm 
I read OU from the archives, so the slow pacing wasn't a problem for me.
As I see it, the weakness of OU is the lack of our usual main characters :torg: :riff: :zoe: :gwynn: :kiki: :aylee: .
It did help a bit that :bunbun: showed up, but he was a lonesome bunny in a long storyarc.

So here is hoping OU3 will have a lot more connection with the overall sluggyverse, both in terms of plot and characters.
We've certainly been set up to that, with the information revealed about Timeless Space in 4U City, and Uncle Time in Mohkadun.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:29 pm 
yurak wrote:
I'm really excited for the new arc. I'm gutted it's a book bonus story

Try reading that announcement again there friend. It says that the bonus story is a opener for Oceans Unmoving 3.

A prolog.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:46 pm 
Hooray! I loved Oceans Unmoving... once I re-read it a couple of times to absorb the entirety of the plot and new characters. I always hated how it ended so abruptly and was never shown again...

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:57 am 
I also only read OU1&2 from the archive and loved them. I can't wait for OU3. We already know Riff is connected by way of the apparatus. Who knows how many more connections Pete will show this time.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:54 pm 
I've just reread that part and sorta noticed Riff's 'apparatus' looked a little like Kada's, but didn't put two & two together.

It's even stated it's a wave genetator

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:54 pm 
The only thing that really bothered me about Oceans unmoving were the little Zcom strips that kept popping up in the middle, and breaking the pace of the story. I remember thinking at the time that I was the only one who actually liked Oceans Unmoving.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:24 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
I still think that the ones who hated Oceans Unmoving were a very small but very vocal group.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:42 am 
Zillatain wrote:
I still think that the ones who hated Oceans Unmoving were a very small but very vocal group.

Here's to hoping they don't complain when OU 3 comes around.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:07 pm 
Galaxy Hunter wrote:
Zillatain wrote:

Agreed... although now that Timeless Space has a bit more connection to the rest of the story, between the references in 4U City (diagrams... and Caribs) and Mokhadun (Tempest aka Uncle Time), that might mitigate some of the complaints.

Personally, I enjoyed OU and will be glad to come back to it.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:30 am 
Wrock wrote:
The only thing that really bothered me about Oceans unmoving were the little Zcom strips that kept popping up in the middle, and breaking the pace of the story. I remember thinking at the time that I was the only one who actually liked Oceans Unmoving.

Yeah, gotta agree on that point. They aren't much better in archive form.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:18 am 
Thom Solo wrote:
Galaxy Hunter wrote:
Zillatain wrote:

Agreed... although now that Timeless Space has a bit more connection to the rest of the story, between the references in 4U City (diagrams... and Caribs) and Mokhadun (Tempest aka Uncle Time), that might mitigate some of the complaints.

Personally, I enjoyed OU and will be glad to come back to it.

TBH, while I enjoyed OU a lot, I see where some people came from - it seemed to have absolutely nothing to do with the main story. I think OU3 will be well received just simply due to the fact as you noted, we know now how important it's links are to the main Sluggy story and as well it's familiar now too.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat