Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:57 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:20 am
Posts: 91
Location: BC, Canada
Okay, theory on the rabbit food thing: Vegetables can provide more energy per pound than meat. This could explain a derivative of his strength, because he eats his vegetables, he has superhuman strength, or they fuel his strength.
And a shot to the "He's from the future theory". If he was from the future, how did he get to Timeless space in the first place? (I guess he got in the way of some kind of device that worked like the Dimensional Flux Agitator, but with time dimensions.) And then was sent back in time (to Santa's "youth").
Or maybe we could take a page from Ringo (this could be really stretching) and he is an AI cyborg that was sent back in time (or timeless space) by some freak accident.

And unlike Ares, he was always ready to get back into the fight against his foe, granted that he regained conscienceness before his foe ran away, or was destroyed (Note the tone taken when they escaped from Ayleeorgnet.com's HQ when he asked about Cloney). And he burst out of Larval Aylee when she ate him. And the puneyverse guy.
He did give out several bloody noses however.

And somehow I doubt you can use the Cinni Bunny thing as canon.

And one more thing. How could he have truly disliked Telemarketers to the point of causing death if he had never seen a telemarketer before?
More to chew on.

Top 
   
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:24 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:33 am
Posts: 1021
AOL: Bantafood
Location: Boredom
I've never met a telemarketer in person, and I wouldn't mind some retinal strangulation.

If you really wanted your creation to get maximum protein for the buck, you'd make him an insectivore. A cicada contains significantly more protein than a similarly sized piece of steak.

Top 
   
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:30 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:00 am
Posts: 148
Location: The City, USA
Perhaps there were telemarketers in Timeless Space? Someone has to distribute the Viennason Series, after all.

--The Evil Midnight Lurker what Lurks at Midnight
"Bad is good baby! Down with government!"

Top 
   
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:07 am 
Offline
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:00 am
Posts: 1505
Website: http://econniff.blogspot.com/
Location: Just outside the city limits
That's a good point Falconer. It brings up the possibility that perhaps Bun Bun was sent back (in 1997) closer to his correct Date Of Casting Out than we might be inclined to believe.

See, I'm still not convinced that the using of the 2nd Deus Egg and Bun Bun's first drop from the Tower of Time are necessarily connected. It just feels too easy. And too repetitive, for that matter. That's a complicated trick to fall for twice. Even with concusion-induced amnesia.

Top 
   
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:30 am 
Offline
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:36 pm
Posts: 159
Location: no kangaroos here...
There are the minions of the Easter Bunny, the Elves and others that abviously have some holidayesque features (not human, long living like Grahamy, knowledge of the holiday affaires,...), but are not the embodiment of Holidays themselves. So I spec Bun-bun is somethin similiar, he belongs to the group of (supernatural?) beings that support holidays. So he could be around for hundreds of years (with some leave of absence to the timeless space) without ever have being a human.

EvilMidnightLurker wrote:
Perhaps there were telemarketers in Timeless Space? Someone has to distribute the Viennason Series, after all.

How evil!

Top 
   
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:41 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:11 pm
Posts: 38
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
See, I'm still not convinced that the using of the 2nd Deus Egg and Bun Bun's first drop from the Tower of Time are necessarily connected. It just feels too easy. And too repetitive, for that matter. That's a complicated trick to fall for twice. Even with concusion-induced amnesia.

Bun-bun was in timeless space long enough to purchase a bar. Uncle time says that he always returns people to a point ballpark to how long they've been in timeless space. This answers the How old IS Bun-bun?! question--he has longevity thanks to however he got his ability to talk, PLUS he's been in timeless space (note Mrs. Claus comment after Basphomy asks that question) for a lengthy period of time.
My theory? This situation occurred. Bun-bun had taken Halloween and Easter (Thanksgiving wouldn't have existed way back then), and was confronting Santa. After a battle, Santa, battered and bloody, pulled the Deus Ex out of his pocket right before Bun-bun dealt the killing blow and smashed it. Since the egg can apparently bring the dead back, its reasonable to assume it healed Santa to a point where he could make toys again, and brought the holidays with him (presumably, this is back when Basphomy ruled--Halloween would have been just starting just then, and it wasn't a "joke" back then, it was a very serious ritual/occasion). With the help of Basphomy and the Easter bunny, Bun-bun was incapacitated and taken to the Tower of Time, and thrown into the void.

Top 
   
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:42 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:33 am
Posts: 1021
AOL: Bantafood
Location: Boredom
This is Bun-Bun.
If he wants to tend a bar so he can get free drinks and beat up riff-raff, he doesn't need to buy anything.
The previous owner may very well have "solved the riddle," though. :bunbun:

Top 
   
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:55 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 1628
TigerHunter wrote:
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
See, I'm still not convinced that the using of the 2nd Deus Egg and Bun Bun's first drop from the Tower of Time are necessarily connected. It just feels too easy. And too repetitive, for that matter. That's a complicated trick to fall for twice. Even with concusion-induced amnesia.

Bun-bun was in timeless space long enough to purchase a bar. Uncle time says that he always returns people to a point ballpark to how long they've been in timeless space. This answers the How old IS Bun-bun?! question--he has longevity thanks to however he got his ability to talk, PLUS he's been in timeless space (note Mrs. Claus comment after Basphomy asks that question) for a lengthy period of time.
My theory? This situation occurred. Bun-bun had taken Halloween and Easter (Thanksgiving wouldn't have existed way back then), and was confronting Santa. After a battle, Santa, battered and bloody, pulled the Deus Ex out of his pocket right before Bun-bun dealt the killing blow and smashed it. Since the egg can apparently bring the dead back, its reasonable to assume it healed Santa to a point where he could make toys again, and brought the holidays with him (presumably, this is back when Basphomy ruled--Halloween would have been just starting just then, and it wasn't a "joke" back then, it was a very serious ritual/occasion). With the help of Basphomy and the Easter bunny, Bun-bun was incapacitated and taken to the Tower of Time, and thrown into the void.


Seems a pretty plausible explanation in my book. Part of me wonders if Bun bun was the epicenter the first time though, or simply an accessory. Perhaps driven to join one side of an uprising over revenge for his mother?

Another interesting point... Thanksgiving MIGHT have been around, as we learn that a holiday was lost in 900 AD when Mideurope was swallowed by the sea. Since we are told the first Deus Ex Ovum was tied to Zeus' displeasure at Posidon for swallowing the original holiday, could this 900 AD point mark a second holiday conflict, and the use of the 2nd egg? The three incarnations of thanksgiving seem a perfect marker of major conflicts, methinks.

Basphomy also notes that she was just beginning her career when Bun bun was around... could she have gained Halloween through a battle to usurp a number of older holidays? Then again, one has to wonder why she didn't remember him at first. That's one of my reasons for thinking he might have been a supporting character in whatever conflict happened.

Top 
   
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:02 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 1628
It might be insightful to look closer to Basphomy's motivations/decisions... she pushed for the march on the north pole, but only after Mrs. Claus reminded her of Bun bun's past and the 2nd Deus Ex Ovum. One logical assumption is that if the last egg was used, she'd know she'd be back to serving under the Pumpkin King. But she knew that at the beginning of this conversation. It wasn't until she was reminded of Bun bun's role that she decided to follow him. Why? Before that she'd been suspecious, could they have been former comrades and not remembered it?

And why wouldn't she remember stuff? Bun bun had a concussion, but we don't know what happened to her, save that she became subordinated to the Pumpkin king... but without dying. Raises more questions on how holidays work, and how changes of the guard happen without right of caste-killings. I recall some mention of Basphomy being voted out of power perhaps, suggesting something similar to the Christmas Council?

Top 
   
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:04 am 
Offline
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:00 am
Posts: 1505
Website: http://econniff.blogspot.com/
Location: Just outside the city limits
Goatlord42 wrote:
Basphomy also notes that she was just beginning her career when Bun bun was around... could she have gained Halloween through a battle to usurp a number of older holidays? Then again, one has to wonder why she didn't remember him at first. That's one of my reasons for thinking he might have been a supporting character in whatever conflict happened.


This is another reason I'm suspicious that Bun Bun was the reason for the use of the 2nd Deus Egg. Had he been the epicenter - or the cause - his face would have registered with her the minute he walked back into her life. New to the job at the time or not, There aren't that many freakin' mini lops that weild switchblades, last time I checked. And Bun bun's a memorable guy.

TigerHunter, This Situation is exactly what I believe didn't happen. Or at least didn't necessarily happen. It the easiest conclusion to draw, first of all, which instantly makes me suspicious of it. Secondly, not a single character, when given the chance to do so, states explicitly a connection between the use of the 2nd Deus Egg and Bun Bun being tossed out of Time.

If I'm wrong about that and missed something, which is entirely possible, let me know. Otherwise, I'm sticking by the theory that bun bun - while of course present - was not the reason the 2nd Egg was used.


(moving on to more broad discussion-)
I noticed someone mention there was a lack of theories regarding Bun bun. This is where I think we're missing something that really makes the Oasis thread so enticing. What does Bun Bun want? I'm not sure he even knows. Then again, maybe he does. That's the problem. He's got all the wrong features to really get good theories running about him: he's as emotionally sensitive as Riff, as cunning (though not as smart) as Schlocke, and more opportunistic than Gwynn. It's like contemplating a brick. A brick aiming a glock at you.

IE - we are rarely if ever allowed inside his head. Note that a majority, if not all, of the gaggle of Oasis theories that have been spawned over the years were pulled directly from the girl's very own inner musings.

Top 
   
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:00 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:39 am
Posts: 1220
Location: Year End accounting kerfluffle...
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
I noticed someone mention there was a lack of theories regarding Bun bun. This is where I think we're missing something that really makes the Oasis thread so enticing. What does Bun Bun want? I'm not sure he even knows. Then again, maybe he does. That's the problem. He's got all the wrong features to really get good theories running about him: he's as emotionally sensitive as Riff, as cunning (though not as smart) as Schlocke, and more opportunistic than Gwynn. It's like contemplating a brick. A brick aiming a glock at you.

IE - we are rarely if ever allowed inside his head. Note that a majority, if not all, of the gaggle of Oasis theories that have been spawned over the years were pulled directly from the girl's very own inner musings.
(emphasis mine)

Precisely.

The problem is, Bun-bun started out as a gag prop; Oasis (at least so far as I've heard the tale from Googled or linked interviews and such) started out as a long, involved story-arc from the get-go, with the potentially up-coming conclusion at least sketched out way back before the year had a "2" as the first numeral. It took a couple years for the potential of Bun-bun's character to come into Pete's whiskey-fuzzed mind, and he started back-tracking ("ret-con'ing" in a subtle way) well after the Oasis storyline had gotten it's hooks in us.

Note I say this as a HUGE Bun-bun fan; both as he "is/was" and as an... er... literary... character concept. Merely because his "depth" is just now being explored does not mean he's not deep; it merely means we ain't been allowed in the deep side of the pool yet. But we're getting there, I'm sure of it. Time, as always in the Sluggyverse, will tell.

Mr. "Yet, Yodimus, I am intrigued by your spec, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter" Jest

Top 
   
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:54 am 
Offline
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:12 am
Posts: 158
And now we take a break from your regularly scheduled speccing for something completely wild and off-the-wall. Keep in mind these opinions are wholey my own and in no way reflect the actual comic or any details that we've seen within said comic. (as of yet) If any of this has been specced before, I apologize for taking your time.

What if Bun-bun was the original Easter Bunny? After years of faithful service to the Holidays, Bun-bun grew to hate his position. He tried several different ways to get out of his responsibilities, but it seemed like he would have to die (which he did not want to do) to stop being the Easter Bunny. He then embarked on a plan to take control of the Holidays so that he could get rid of his powers without losing his life.

He continued taking over Holidays, including Halloween by killing off a young and naieve Basphomy who trusted him. The only Holiday that still remained was Christmas. Santa's newly formed Black-Ops Elves (created to track Bun-bun's movements) were able to slow Bun-bun's advance, but Santa knew that all was lost.

In a fit of desperation, Santa used the second Deus Ex Ovum to end the battle and restore the Holidays lost to Bun-bun's ambition. The newly revived Holiday Council then stripped Bun-bun of his Holiday powers, leaving only his immortality. They then threw him into Timeless Space so that he could spend eternity contemplating the error of his ways. And to keep other Holidays from getting similar ideas, the council erased all traces of the war from the other Holiday's memories, leaving only Santa and Mrs. Claus aware that anything had happened.

As we now know, Bun-bun's second trip through Timeless Space led him to give his earlier self a case of concussion-induced amnesia, so that when the first Bun-bun went back, hundreds of years into his future, he had no memory of being the Easter Bunny or trying to take over the Holidays. And according to the old saying, those who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it. When Bun-bun accidentaly killed the Easter Bunny and took over Easter, it started the whole chain of events again (the only exception being Pumpkinhead has taken over Basphomy's position as Lord of Halloween).

We know that the hatred that Bun-bun has for Santa at the begining of the comic is a product of what Bun-bun said to himself on his second trip through Timeless Space. Bun-bun doesn't remember that Santa has thrown him out of Time twice and that Bun-bun himslef started the cycle that he is now trapped in.

Now that we know there are no more Deus Ex Ovum, we can only spec on what Bun-bun might do to disrupt the Holidays further. We just have to remember that this time, any changes he makes to the Holidays are permanent.

Top 
   
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:36 pm 
Offline
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:48 am
Posts: 375
Falconer wrote:
And unlike Ares, he was always ready to get back into the fight against his foe, granted that he regained conscienceness before his foe ran away, or was destroyed (Note the tone taken when they escaped from Ayleeorgnet.com's HQ when he asked about Cloney). And he burst out of Larval Aylee when she ate him. And the puneyverse guy.
He did give out several bloody noses however.


Bun-bun is obviously the offspring of Ares and some mortal woman that Zeus turned into a rabbit. His brother was the Killer Rabbit in 952 AD.

Top 
   
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:36 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 1628
lesotheron wrote:
We know that the hatred that Bun-bun has for Santa at the begining of the comic is a product of what Bun-bun said to himself on his second trip through Timeless Space. Bun-bun doesn't remember that Santa has thrown him out of Time twice and that Bun-bun himslef started the cycle that he is now trapped in.


This, and the theory preceeding is close to what I'd been tossing around in my head for some time, and should probably be labeled something consistant... maybe the "Bun bun screws himself by repeating history" therom, heh.

Its important to note though, that Bun bun THINKS his words were what instilled the hatred of Santa. But such a deep hatred could easily have deeper sources, and have come about of its own accord. The fact that Bun bun's taken a step back to look at his actions for once is good, but ultimately he may realize he was VERY justified in hating Santa's guts all along. :P

Something else interesting that just occurred to me...

Several characters seem prone to fuzzy memories. We know at least part of the reason for Bun bun's... but Basphomy and Santa seem to have forgotten MAJOR important details. And they were reminded by... the same person- Mrs. Clause. I'm seriously wondering if there's anything to this. Perhaps even something connected to being a holiday? As a holiday accessory, she may have remained free of that memory effect.

Top 
   
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:39 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 1628
And btw, that was a pretty nice formulation of things, lesotheron. I'd pondered the Easter Bunny connection myself, though you came up with some interesting possibilities.

A big problem is that this isn't as easy to break down into individual theories like "Oasis' Origin/nature." We're talking about complex specs of whole periods of history, and trying to come up with plausible scenarios with lots and lots of factors.

It might be easiest to, as previously suggested just organize a big list of "evidence" as the core of the sticky post, before worring about distilling particular theories.

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: