Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:48 pm 
Well, I doubt Mrs. Claus would have made the comment that she did if Santa had not thrown him out once before.

I tend to agree with Goatlord42. I think to read too much into Bun-bun's intelligence and longetivity is to forget we're talking about a comic here and talking animals, while not ubiquitous, are accepted 'fact' in Sluggyverse.

As to his strength however... As I commented in the other thread that Goatlord posted his comment regarding bun-bun and the monty python bunny: Killer rabbits really do exist. Probably something akin to "mad dog", except that we expect "mad dog" -- we don't expect "mad bunny". For those of you too young to remember, the press had a field day when a killer rabbit went after then-President Jimmy Carter. And killer rabbits are strong (a la the Monty Python skit). My friend had one as a 'pet' when she was little. She had to get pretty well amored up before going outside to feed it. In addition to extra high and extra strong boots, etc., she would carry out a rolled up Sunday newspaper (from a big city -- we're talking pretty big roll) and said that there was virtually nothing left of it by the time she made it back into the house. So the first time I saw "Ka-Click", I remembered her stories and have been in love with Bun-bun ever since -- because there is a ring of truth to his personality (and corresponding strength and perseverance).

Aww! Look at the cute widdle bunny! AI-EEEE!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:26 pm 
AOL: Bantafood
It would be exceeedlingly hilarious for Bun-Bun to realize that he had made all the exact same mistakes as he did "the first time" during the Holiday Wars. Some things stand against it in my opinion, though. (Arranged WOHPAOH-style)
-Halloween, Easter, and in general all holidays but Christmas appeared unfamiliar with Bun-Bun.
- -Basphomy was in charge of Halloween before Pumpkinhead, and it is hinted that Santa was just starting out when he used one of the Deus Ex Ovums. Other holidays may have similarly shifted leadership since then.
-If he had pulled it before, his moves would have been predictable.
- -In addition to the above, there were unique circumstances this time. Bun-Bun's relationship with the Elves would not have existed, nor would Squishydodo himself (Are elves immortal? I know fantasy elves are, but Skimpymumu is NOT Elrond. Legolas, maybe.) Santa was alienated this time, so his moves were all different, as was his vulnerability to nerf, whether or not he had Santa's memories.
-He was not quite yet the fighter way back before his first trip to timeless space that he is now. To accomplish similar holiday dominance without the combat skills would have required enormously greater tactical and strategical intelligence than he appears to possess.
- -He could have lost some mental capacity due to the massive concussion.

Alright, now that that's done, another thing. His mother was a rabbit. He was a rabbit. The sword and other hints (and current spec) seem to lean towards a medieval setting for his birth. Why would anybody, in a time period when food was so scarce, choose to stab a rabbit with a warrior's sword, and then leave it sticking out? If she was slaughtered for food I could understand, but this death was clearly the result of something else. Young Bun-Bun looks on in horror. Again, a butcher would have taken them both.

And one last thing for this post, I promise. Mrs. Claus' comment is more telling than formerly specced. She says "the last time you threw him into that void." Not only was he thrown by Santa, but he was THROWN OUT OF THE HALLS OF TIME. An important question is, "Why were Bun-Bun and Santa at the tower THAT time?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:38 pm 
One theory holds that Bun-Bun is a mortal man (if, perhaps, epic level) superimposed on the body of a normal rabbit. He gets to subconsciously pick and choose from the stats of either form at any given moment. Disproportionate strength with only a rabbit's mass lets him move absurdly fast while presenting only a very small target. All of a human's strength focused into a rabbits tiny (but momentarily very dense) paw would have about the same effect as being struck with a hammer.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:14 pm 
BlankSlate wrote:
One theory holds that Bun-Bun is a mortal man (if, perhaps, epic level) superimposed on the body of a normal rabbit. He gets to subconsciously pick and choose from the stats of either form at any given moment. Disproportionate strength with only a rabbit's mass lets him move absurdly fast while presenting only a very small target. All of a human's strength focused into a rabbits tiny (but momentarily very dense) paw would have about the same effect as being struck with a hammer.

If that's the case, he's been in that body for too long. His love of lettuce, alfalfa, timothy hay, etc., are rabbit traits, but not particularly useful.
It also really doesn't explain the rabbit-mom.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:20 pm 
His love of greens is neither useful nor particularly harmful so it could have been the result of something akin to a magical or biological roll of the dice. If anything though, it is better to have a rabbit's eating habits because vegetation is going to be common just about anywhere or anywhen. A human being would have trouble eating the food served in an inn over in 9th century germany, for instance, but a leaf of lettuce is always a leaf of lettuce.

As for the rabbit mom, there are a couple of possibilities. The first is that he is simply remembering things differently than the way they were. Human memory is far more of a vague thing than most of us realize and this becomes infinitly more apparent in times of trauma... something Bun-Bun most definitly experienced. The second is that mom was not originally a rabbit and that both of them were shapeshifting at the time. When she was slain, he was either too traumatized or without the magical knowhow to return to human form.

A personal favorite theory of mine is that Bun-Bun is the firstborn son of Eostre, the goddess of the spring and fertility in pre-Christian times. She alternated between a very beautyful woman with lots of curves and a female rabbit. She was presumably slain by foreign gods when the old ways were destroyed.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:45 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
AOL: Ahava+Ramier
Or that his mom was a human, and so was he, but he's been in bunny form for so long now, that all of his memories revert to him being a bunny, hence his mom.

It could be that bun bun was human, but something happened to force him into rabbit form, and... something else, I dunnno. I had it, but I lost it.

I think i'm going to have to go back through holiday wars and OU again. Cause I'm getting the feeling that I've missed some important things.

Or just forgotten them.

Just random spec to throw out, with the whole "bun-bun was a human"

Bun-bun was Kron

Chew on that for a bit.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:45 pm 
OR bunbun's Mother (assume she was Easter's avatar) was slain by someone attempting to claim Right Of Caste. Perhaps this, or events surrounding this, is why Easter is currently exempt from the Right of Caste rules? Hmmm...

The Max wrote:
Bun-Bun used the same logo on his "Pirate Raft" with Jaya and Kiki that he did on the Bloody Bun. Whether Pete had planned it that far in advance or not, it's now canon that he used the symbol in timeless space first.

It should be noted that this isn't that far in advance. It's easy for me to imagine even a part-time comicer coming up with that detail even years ahead of time, let alone a full-timer like Pete. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he thought up the Holiday War and the OU by the second year.

Speaking of, here's a straightening out of the Egg thing, in case there are still any confusions out there:

- There were 3 Deus Eggs.
- The first was used just after the Holidays had become autonomous. There is no other information about it.
-The second was used in the presence of Bun Bun. We don't know the specifics here, either. Specifics that would include whether or not Bun Bun was even the reason it was used, or if that was incidental. If Father Time's brother is right about sending people back to the time and place they left, ballpark, then Bun Bun's tossing-out happened somewhere in the mid-90's, no later than the end of '96. But the 2nd Egg was used when Basphomy's time was just beginning, which was "a long time ago". 1996 is not "a long time ago" when in the presence of immortals like the Holidays, which suggests a disconnect. Note that you do not need an Egg to toss someone out of the Tower of Time.
-The third we saw used by Bun Bun himself at the end of Holiday Wars after being checkmated by the Year's Avatar. There are no Eggs left.
references -
http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=031214
http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=031107
http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=040111

Note that Zeus had the help of the Fates in creating the Eggs. Fate, as far as we can tell, is currently in the hands of a single spider, who quit after learning some distressing information about KZK, which we were not privy to. This may have nothing to do with Bun Bun, but I thought it'd be interesting to add.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:23 pm 
I see the points being made about Bun-Bun potentially being a human trapped in mini-lop form. The thing about his mother being the former easter bunny (or whatver kind of Easter avatar she was) leading him into the first holiday wars also makes sense.
I dunno though...I just feel that making it "oh, he's a really a human" would be kind of a letdown. Part of the respect one feels for Bun-Bun is how he manages to achieve so much despite being a rabbit. It would be a big ruiner for me. The only possible way it wouldn't be is if he were someone we had already encountered, with a big ironical value.
lonelyahava wrote:
Bun-Bun was Kron.

With his yin in the book and his yang in the mini-lop? Seems like a stretch.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:09 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
OR bunbun's Mother (assume she was Easter's avatar) was slain by someone attempting to claim Right Of Caste. Perhaps this, or events surrounding this, is why Easter is currently exempt from the Right of Caste rules? Hmmm...

Wait, Easter is exempt from the Right of Caste rules? How do you figure?

Quote:
-The second was used in the presence of Bun Bun. We don't know the specifics here, either. Specifics that would include whether or not Bun Bun was even the reason it was used, or if that was incidental. If Father Time's brother is right about sending people back to the time and place they left, ballpark, then Bun Bun's tossing-out happened somewhere in the mid-90's, no later than the end of '96. But the 2nd Egg was used when Basphomy's time was just beginning, which was "a long time ago". 1996 is not "a long time ago" when in the presence of immortals like the Holidays, which suggests a disconnect. Note that you do not need an Egg to toss someone out of the Tower of Time.

Ballparks are pretty big in timeless space, it seems.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:17 am 
AOL: TheAntiTed
Quote:
If Father Time's brother is right about sending people back to the time and place they left, ballpark, then Bun Bun's tossing-out happened somewhere in the mid-90's, no later than the end of '96. But the 2nd Egg was used when Basphomy's time was just beginning, which was "a long time ago". 1996 is not "a long time ago" when in the presence of immortals like the Holidays, which suggests a disconnect.

Yes, but recall that ballpark for Uncle time can be at least a hundred years off, as seen by the man in the package. And who knows exactly how far off he considers "ballpark;" we only have three examples, widely varying in accuracy, and so it's not so much of a stretch for him to have sent Bun-bun back a thousand years after he left the first time, even though he managed to be off by only a few years the second.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:50 am 
The Max wrote:
-It might have been just a throwaway gag, but in his first appearance, Bun-Bun knows about Jazz-discs and computers.
The first time we see him on his own chronological line, Bun-bun is the bartender and bouncer of the Serendipity Tavern in Port Malta, Timeless Space. No matter where or when he came from, he would have picked up modern English and a reasonable grasp of technology simply by long exposure to a society of pirate nerds. There may even have been Baywatch recordings available.

--The Evil Midnight Lurker what Lurks at Midnight
"...Then he threw a chimney at us!"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:39 am 
The Max: Well, humanlike anyway. Him having been born a god or demigod would not be a letdown in my eyes.

And Eostre wasn't the easter bunny, but what came before the easter bunny. She symbolized hope, that spark of comfort that comes in knowing that winter will one day end and that life can go on. The modern day easter bunny and the holiday as a whole is a pale mockery of all that she stood for.

In many ways this symbolizes a growing theme seen with the holidays. Power remains but is stripped of meaning and purpose. Blasphemy, the truest goddess of fear, was deposed and a fool given her throne. Eostre is replaced by mindless furred creatures who exist purely to give a distraction to children one day a year. Even those beings who survived have become shallow. Santa was once the god of altruism and human kindness and, while he fared better than most, his holiday has fallen to tedium and greed and ritual and all such things. Thanksgiving is barren of humility or gratitude, merely gluttony.

All that is noble is being killed with every passing year.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:48 am 
Bun-bun is Ares, Greek God of War. *nod*

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:59 am 
Only Ares sucked if you actually read the mythology.
He was an evil bastard against civilians and any military force that he thought that he could beat but, when you gave him a bloody nose, he always went running home to Mount Olympus.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:34 pm 
BlankSlate wrote:
Only Ares sucked if you actually read the mythology.
He was an evil bastard against civilians and any military force that he thought that he could beat but, when you gave him a bloody nose, he always went running home to Mount Olympus.

How many people have given Bun-bun a bloody nose?

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat