Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post subject: Life After Oasis
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:46 am 
There are a million spec threads about what Oasis is, her purpose, etc (hell a variant's been continuously stickied for, what, 5 years now?). It's a very ripe subject, and rightly so: she has been integral to the arcs and growth of the Sluggy gang practically from the moment she was introduced. I strongly believe that she will continue to be integral right up to the very end of Sluggy. But will her arc be?

What I mean is - even though we don't know Oasis' true purpose, we know she does have an important role to fill. One that may not be story-ending. Which means her arc could potentially end (even if she survives) long before Sluggy does.

Think about that.

What do you think a post-Oasis-as-mysterious-danger DoN would look like? What kinds of obstacles will spring up to fill that void? Is it possible that Pete has started introducing these other evil organizations with that very purpose in mind? How do you escalate beyond an unkillable assassin without skipping directly to :kzk: ? Can you? Maybe you think there will just be lots more lighthearted, meandering arcs in the wake of that kind of resolution? Do you think I'm a fool to even believe Oasis' mystery will be solved before the endgame is ready to start?

Post subject: Re: Life After Oasis
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:46 am 
I think Hereti-corp will fill the role of 'bad guy' in the DoN now; there's also K'Z'K, as you said, and there's also the possibility that His Masterness will continue as the enemy long outside this chapter and this dimension.

Edit: Also offering 50:1 on the final battle being against insane mecha-Zoe.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:30 pm 
I'd give fair odds to Oasis's story being integral to the whole right to the end... remember that such a thing is coming one day.

As an aside, Pete had better not die or anything before we get there.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:01 am 
I think Oasis's story will be integral to the end of the HeretiCorps/Cult of Chillus plot. Whether or not this ends the comic is uncertain. Crushestro and No Fun Corp seem to be being set up as enemies for a post HeretiCorps world. If Pete wants to continue the story beyond HeretiCorps (as there endgame seems to be coming soon), I could easily see the other evil organizations being set up as badguys.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:39 am 
It's not a good idea to set up new enemies after something as established as Hereti-Corp (not "Corps", by the way). Crushestro and NoFun may have some role to play, but they probably shouldn't replace hC as important, long-standing enemies, as good stories like this tend to rely on an established past for their effectiveness. And since we're moving towards an end, the logical way to go about it seems to finish what's going on now, which would mean Crushestro and NoFun as much of a role as they have already been set up but no more. They're much less developed and interesting than hC anyway.

On the other hand, one of the first things I thought when I read about the R&D Wars was that Torg's actions as a Minion Master minion in disrupting evil organisations like this may have been more influential than he knew, and perhaps prevented such a thing from happening in Sluggy Prime. Can't really assert that yet, though, since the war seems to have been involved in the collapse of the Fate Web, which is still a threat there as well.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:13 am 
That's a good point V, that for a nemesis to be truly compelling, it needs to have a strong past that's tied to the history of the main cast. So far, that only accounts for KZK (along with Chilus' cult, but that nemesis merely rides the coattails of this one) and hC. Oh, and the DoP, they're still out there. And the Holidays of course. But we don't really have any sort of grasp on how either of those entities play a role in the primary arc, so I'll leave them alone at the moment.

Meanwhile, the council of evil companies (or random other groups or people who are fairly recent in their evilness) have no past with the main cast to speak of. They just don't cut it. This is how it is...right now.

But in three years, five years, ten years - all the stuff that's "now" will be "the past". Notably: a strong past. One that began lightheartedly (like KZK's and hC's etc), and then grew as time went on. Obviously this is a moot prediction if you think The End Is Nigh, but I seriously doubt that's coming up any time in the near future.

Which brings us back to Oasis. Pete has said before that her arc essentially has an expiration date (saying something along the lines of "There are still two to three more Oasis storylines left" back before "Phoenix" when readers were wondering where she went). Maybe this last Oasis storyline won't kill her, but it'll take her out of the spotlight somehow (probably kill her), simply by concluding her arc. And before the primary story ends for good, I would think. That doesn't preclude her - in some form or another - playing a role in the ultimate conclusion, it just puts her out of play for a while before then. Hence the reason for this thread.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:04 am 
srimech wrote:
I think Hereti-corp will fill the role of 'bad guy' in the DoN now; there's also K'Z'K, as you said, and there's also the possibility that His Masterness will continue as the enemy long outside this chapter and this dimension.

I'll take that bet!

I wonder how long the gang will be in the Minion Master outfits. And when Riff and Zoë return, will they also don the minion scrubs and fight evil under the Minion Master's banner? Or will Riff just shrug his shoulders, and Zoë go back to radio.

Torg seems to be a true hero this way, and it seems to do him good to give up the life as a web designer. But where will they be ... ten years from now?

I think a happy ending would be for most of the gang going into business together, finding something that will suit them all. It would be a normal, happy life.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:25 am 
Silverwalker wrote:
srimech wrote:

I wonder how long the gang will be in the Minion Master outfits. And when Riff and Zoë return, will they also don the minion scrubs and fight evil under the Minion Master's banner? Or will Riff just shrug his shoulders, and Zoë go back to radio.

We know Zoë can't go back to radio as she was fired and the whole world thinks she's dead so maybe she'd stay with Torg and the Minion Master for the time being. This would be a good thing as the Cult of K'Z'K/Chillus won't see her coming if and when they revive K'Z'K.

Riff would join them too I think, as after taking down 4U Corp he'll have a hate/distrust of large evil organizations and stay to fight them.

Silverwalker wrote:
Torg seems to be a true hero this way, and it seems to do him good to give up the life as a web designer. But where will they be ... ten years from now?

I think a happy ending would be for most of the gang going into business together, finding something that will suit them all. It would be a normal, happy life.

I want that too, but I've thought of one little problem. Torg and everyone else working with the Minion Master has been given an identity wipe. To the world at large it's as if they never existed. What's worse is it's never stated that the Minion Master could undo the process, and if he can would he want to, if his minions were deserting him?

As for my idea on life after Oasis, I think that the group will free her from her mental conditioning, and that she'll show up in the big climactic battle near the end. But between those two times Hereti-Corp and the other evil organizations will have to fill her role.

Zoë Will be Healed

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:32 am 
Why would Zoë have to remain dead in the world's eyes after coming back? (Well, aside from wanting to be left alone by her mother, I can only wonder why she didn't play dead for that reason sooner. But then again, maybe that delusional abusive waste of flesh will get some positive character development out of all this. We can only hope.) Surely this world isn't so bureaucratic they'll refuse to believe her if she says she's alive.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:23 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
VVK wrote:
On the other hand, one of the first things I thought when I read about the R&D Wars was that Torg's actions as a Minion Master minion in disrupting evil organisations like this may have been more influential than he knew, and perhaps prevented such a thing from happening in Sluggy Prime. Can't really assert that yet, though, since the war seems to have been involved in the collapse of the Fate Web, which is still a threat there as well.

I've had some thoughts on that subject for a while now, but I don't think they're involved just yet. Remember, Rammer said that 4U city had risen day very day that Sharon said the web had broken, and Hereti-Corp was one of the founding organizations. While it's fitting to assume that Hereti-Corp may have been involved in the R&D wars, it has yet to be established that the R&D wars were directly involved in the destruction of the web.

Torg's current dealings may go a long way towards preventing the R&D wars, but we're entirely uncertain whether or not he's helping to prevent the web from breaking or is indeed speeding things up along that path. For all we know, the R&D wars might have been a factor in preventing the web from breaking.

A lot of that is the purest of speculation with absolutely no basis in fact or observational data whatsoever. Call it a gut feeling, I guess.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:31 pm 
But I would think the Web breaking in the 4U dimension had to do with practically all the world being fluxed away, and its being overwhelmed by mutants and such could certainly have been a motivation for that.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:21 am 
Silverwalker wrote:

Perhaps a life in the freelance business. Slugging things. :p

Post Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:20 am 
Location: In front of PC, on www.sluggy.com, mindlessly hitting refresh button
As best as I can tell, Pete has never specifically said how many pieces of K'Z'K there were, nor now many of those pieces are sentient. We know two the locations of two of them. Gwynn killed one by shoving it's butt into THE END, and the other piece is in the Book of Eville. Both of these pieces are (were) sentient, but we don't know anything about the others.

(I don't know if Pete is doing it deliberately, but I get the weird impression that the piece inside the Book of Eville is sentient but not actually evil)

Pete can easily have several more pieces of K'Z'K be sentient and attack the gang in long, complicated storylines. In fact, nothing is stopping Pete from having the UNsentient pieces of K'Z'K warp their users into evil masterminds. In fact, I expect at least two more storylines dealing with this. One for the piece in the book and one for one of the other pieces.

I also expect Zoe to make a full recovery. At least mentally. I don't rule out any Bionic Woman enhancements. :) And with Zoe's recovery, I am expecting her to recover the Book of Gud.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:02 am 
Technically, we don't even know if the thing in the Book of Eville is even a piece of KZK, let alone anything else about it. That thing in the book, whether it's KZK or not, will certainly get its time in the spotlight eventually. It'll be interesting to see whether that happens within the context of another storyline, or on its own (each implying a vastly different origin for the entity). In any case, I think it's safe to say a life after Oasis would definitely bring those magical books to the forefront, no question. So good point on that one.

As for the other random pieces of KZK turning into little nuisances for the gang, I would hesitate to run with that. It kind of becomes reminiscent of the saturday morning cartoon villain then, where there's this status quo that both sides seek to maintain, rather than resolution. If you know there are an innumerable amount of pieces, killing one every so often starts to mean less. More likely for a constantly changing comic like this, the Story would favor having the other pieces remain dormant until the opportunity arises where something of great value can be done with all of them at once.

As for Zoe, I've got my own theories...but that would spin this thread waaay off topic, so I won't go there ;)

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat