Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:11 pm 
Torg has stated the he was at-least on a college campus at one time so I was just wondering did they finish school, drop out, or even go to class, did they just go to party and get drunk?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:28 am 
Something tells me they spent most of their time occupying various empty dorms, drinking a lot of beer, heckling the football team...and bowling.

Post subject: slightly unrelated
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:25 pm 
I vaguely recall someone saying that the RL Riff counterpart died. Can anyone provide details on the who and what?

Sorry if this is non-sequitar, but I've been curious about that for a while.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:03 pm 
I imagine that Torg went to college without enrolling and nobody bothered to check.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:23 pm 
Quote:
I imagine that Torg went to college without enrolling and nobody bothered to check.

I see Torg doing that.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:04 am 
Torg has mentioned that he took fencing in college, so he might have gotten in a few classes. HE might have a degree, but that's for Pete to eventually clue us in on.

As for Riff, he was probably a tech major. But I somehow see Riff not staying in college for long, especially with his inability to check his notes.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:21 am 
I don't really see them Graduating they are smart, but they are lazy and all

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:30 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
They did go to collegeand they did graduate. Some people have theorized that it was a high school graduation, but given the context of Zoe asking them about it right after she's graduated college, it really can't be anything else.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:14 pm 
WLM: beam_me_back
AOL: The_Stalag_Girl
I agree with your first link, LadyBlanc, but I don't know that thiscomic proves anything...

...apart from the fact that Zoë thinks they finished school (and that the guys are older than Zoë, but that's beside the point). I think it's entirely possible for her to have assumed incorrectly that they graduated. True, Torg's reply ("We don't actually do much.") doesn't outright deny her belief, by that doesn't necessarily mean that it's true.

If you're convinced that he would have denied graduating if he hadn't, consider this: Zoë asked what they did when they "finished school." Obviously, she meant when they graduated, but if Torg/Riff had dropped out, I can see them thinking that they had finished (as in "I was finished wasting my time in college, so I dropped out").

A bit nit-picky, but I really, really can't see Torg and Riff graduating. Taking a few classes that they were really interested in, here and there, maybe (Fencing for Torg, a few Tech classes for Riff possibly, I see him being ahead of introductory prerequisite tech classes and I doubt he'd be patient enough to slodge through them.), but I doubt they would meet any college's standards for graduation (depending on the degree, x number english classes, y number math classes, n number foreign language classes, etc).

Last edited by Erol Mar on Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:15 pm 
I think they both proably did go and graudate, Pete should a squel to the "young sluggy Freelane" story line, excetp this time have them in college.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:54 pm 
Quote:
If you're convinced that he would have denied graduating if he hadn't, consider this: Zoë asked what they did when they "finished school." Obviously, she meant when they graduated, but if Torg/Riff had dropped out, I can see them thinking that they had finished (as in "I was finished wasting my time in college, so I dropped out").

A bit nit-picky, but I really, really can't see Torg and Riff graduating. Taking a few classes that they were really interested in, here and there, maybe (Fencing for Torg, a few Tech classes for Riff possibly, I see him being ahead of introductory prerequisite tech classes and I doubt he'd be patient enough to slodge through them.), but I doubt they would meet any college's standards for graduation (depending on the degree, x number english classes, y number math classes, n number foreign language classes, etc).
Yes Torg and Riff would do something like "Finsh school" like that, they are them selves, and if Riff had a digree in a tech feld would he get a job in a cookie shop?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:56 pm 
Is graduating really so hard over there? Here in the UK you just have to vaguely more or less keep up with the work enough to avoid being chucked out and pass your finals. Even the Young Ones nearly managed it (although coming "bottom in the whole world" in their finals)! I definitely think they are capable of it - native intelligence will get you quite a lot of the way and they both possess a sense of responsibility and commitment, even if it can be erratic...

They probably drove their lecturers/teachers nuts though, :kiki:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:26 pm 
In the US, can you graduate by just keeping up with the work and passing your finals, but the minimum necessary amount of work can be quite large (i.e. miss 6 days of class and you have to retake the class) and finals can be dificult. Not every university is the same degree of difficulty obviously. In comparison to the UK, my friends who have studied abroad state that UK's high (or secondary? in British terms) schools are a lot more difficult to graduate from than their US counterparts, but that US universities demand a lot more work because students start from farther behind. I could definitely see Torg graduating with a degree in art history or computer science (the first being easy and the second being relevant to Torg's job pre-Cloney takeover). Riff could have an engineering degree, or also have Computer Science, since a lot of his inventions are robotic/computerized weapons.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:29 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Considering Riff's job in "a cookie shop" was R&D for a major food manufacturer, then, yes, I think they'd want him to have a degree. Likewise, I doubt that the advertising firm would have hired Torg without a degree, either. It just doesn't seem that unlikely to me that they would have graduated college.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:38 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: PlatonicBathos
Not basing this off much of anything but characterization and spec, but if I had to completely guess, I'd say that the two of them were in school for 4 years -- Torg stretching out his 2-year associate's work as long as he could get away with, and Riff getting a Masters in something useless at an accelerated rate.

Again, not basing this on anything at all.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat