Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:55 am 
Ok, so the thread is locked about Oasis, no?
Um... does this mean we can't talk about her anymore or.... what?
Cuz I was on the verge of thinking she was some kind of god, y'know the Moon Twin, or something. I was also curious about Daedalus, was he a clone of Dr. Steve and did he create her as some kind of celestial clone or something... seriously, this is just not within my thinking right now, but is it ok with everyone if I create another thread for that maybe?

I'm sorry, I really don't know the best policies of Sluggy.net.

This thread is totally adaptable to me.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:58 am 
AOL: allmycheez
I understand the need to limit topics due to repetitiveness but I just read the entire override B-1 and b-2 threads and I'm not seeing much repetitimg. I understand the need to follow policy, but this is a different case.

The oasis speculation threads are what have made me lurk on these boards since before these boards were these boards. I remembered being in awe of the fact that BWR strip with the "DRSTEVE" "ISDAE" was even in place to begin with, and how it gave me such respect for the intellence both for Pete and the readers who noticed it.

Yes, that strip has been referenced many many times on these boards, and the original boards as well, but it realy doesn't look like there's a whole lot of repeating going on here. There was just a whole lot of information in that strip to work from.

I am especially interested in some of these newer theories, namely the moon twin (who, despite reading the archives at least a couple dozen times, I've never even noticed) and the apparent multiple oasis theory proof that I hadn't noticed before. It was always the theory I had personally subscribed to, but the evidence shown by mao and RXY pretty much put an end to any doubts I may have had.

I'm not as convinced about the DR Steve is daedalus theory though. I'm pretty sure that one has been kicked around a bit in the past without any real backup, but it's still quite possible. I do think that the "dae" letters represent daedalus, but I don't think it's quite as literal. (oasIS DAEdalus, IS DAEdalus's son/father, who IS DAEdalus, what IS DAEdalus,etc)

My suggestion:

Someone with more knowledge of the whole situation should write up a detailed list of everything up to this point, or at least the facts, call it the definitive oasis speculation thread and start it from scratch. Come on, mods, I eat this stuff up. Need more Oasis spec. It's been a mystery I have been trying to solve for at least 5, 6 years now, and I am very very interested in everyone's theories.

EDIT: typos. stupid wireless keyboard, all the bbuttons are laptop style and i'm not used to that....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:45 pm 
Hmm... this guy brings up a good point. I can't decide who to look at as being the best at this sort of thing. A handful of qualified sluggites are coming to mind, but I don't really feel it necessary to mention names at the moment.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:48 pm 
ACME Sales Rep.
ACME Sales Rep.
WLM: DesertSongDog
AOL: DesertSongDog
quixoto wrote:
Ok, so the thread is locked about Oasis, no?
Um... does this mean we can't talk about her anymore or.... what?
Cuz I was on the verge of thinking she was some kind of god, y'know the Moon Twin ...

Well, there is a separate thread for that subject with the title "The Moon Twin", there is no need to discuss this topic in two different threads. This is an example of my point about repetition.

Biggerin wrote:

I understand the need to limit topics due to repetitiveness but I just read the entire override B-1 and b-2 threads and I'm not seeing much repetitimg. I understand the need to follow policy, but this is a different case.

The oasis speculation threads are what have made me lurk on these boards since before these boards were these boards. I remembered being in awe of the fact that BWR strip with the "DRSTEVE" "ISDAE" was even in place to begin with, and how it gave me such respect for the intellence both for Pete and the readers who noticed it.

Yes, that strip has been referenced many many times on these boards, and the original boards as well, but it realy doesn't look like there's a whole lot of repeating going on here. There was just a whole lot of information in that strip to work from.

I am especially interested in some of these newer theories, namely the moon twin (who, despite reading the archives at least a couple dozen times, I've never even noticed) and the apparent multiple oasis theory proof that I hadn't noticed before. It was always the theory I had personally subscribed to, but the evidence shown by mao and RXY pretty much put an end to any doubts I may have had.

I'm not as convinced about the DR Steve is daedalus theory though. I'm pretty sure that one has been kicked around a bit in the past without any real backup, but it's still quite possible. I do think that the "dae" letters represent daedalus, but I don't think it's quite as literal. (oasIS DAEdalus, IS DAEdalus's son/father, who IS DAEdalus, what IS DAEdalus,etc)

The main problem with the two Override threads is that they are too hard for a newcomer to follow because there are several different Oasis theories being discussed. If a newcomer can't follow and join in the conversation then it becomes the same few people having a discussion and that is another sign of a thread being played out. My problem with those threads is that the topic is too broad. If there was one theory being discussed it would be easier to follow and easier to stick to without having hijacks and tangents.

This is why I suggested that someone come up with a specific topic and present it to me and then stick to that topic. As I pointed out, there is already an existing thread on the whole Moon Twin discussion, there is no need to discuss it in two threads. If I were looking to discuss "Dr. Steve is Daedalus" I wouldn't look in a thread about Oasis. If I wanted to discuss the Juggler and the Numbers I wouldn't look in an Oasis thread. The threads need to be a little more specific so that they don't become bogged down with several tangents on multiple different topics and theories.

Biggerin wrote:
My suggestion:

Someone with more knowledge of the whole situation should write up a detailed list of everything up to this point, or at least the facts, call it the definitive oasis speculation thread and start it from scratch. Come on, mods, I eat this stuff up. Need more Oasis spec. It's been a mystery I have been trying to solve for at least 5, 6 years now, and I am very very interested in everyone's theories.

An excellent idea, if someone is willing to do this then I will make you all a sticky thread* .I still feel that it will end up being too hard to follow due to too many theories but if someone is willing to keep compiling the theories we can close the sticky thread and start a new one with the newer data when it gets too hard to follow (like at about 10 pages ; )). We could even call if "WAHPAOH", What Others Have Posted About Oasis Here. ; P

I will leave this thread open a little longer for you to discuss who might want to compile the data OR come up with different topics for other threads other than just the broad "OASIS".
:oasis: Did you just call me a "broad"? *ka click*
:sam: Er ... No, ma'am.

Please don't actually discuss these topics here, just discuss how you want to discuss, Okay?

*Pending approval from the Great Admin Goddess Thyla.
Offerings of alcohol are greatly appreciated and may help expedite your plea.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:38 pm 
well, i suppose i could give it a shot.

organisationally speaking... something like a 'fact sheet' at the begining, which covers only the points discussed in the comic, and has relevent links, and then a theory list, which covers all the theorys that have been discussed, along with the points for and against?

something like...

Facts
[fact]
[fact]
[fact]

Theories
[Theory name]
[explenation of theory]

Arguments For
-[point]
-[point]

Arguments against
-[counterpoint]
-[counterpoint]

?

any suggestions appreciated.[/i]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:54 pm 
ahh, forgive my insolense, you make a lot of sense. I can only assume that's why you are the moderator. I think I mistook something about the wideness of the theories being displayed, if that makes any sense. I think I kinda got the impression you were trying to stop the discussion about oasis entirely due to the fact that she's not in the current storyline or that you may not have read the entire thread there to see that there were some new theories being displayed there. also, I hadn't noticed the moon twin thread.

Anyway, a complete Oasis sticky thread I still think is the better idea. The oasis thing is far too complicated not too, I think. Best example being that I would probably not have even checked a thread marked "moon twin" until after I had read the override threads before hand. This is for two reasons: the thread name has nothing to do with oasis or anything really mentioned lately in the strip, and since this is no longer sluggy spec, I would probably think it's got something to do with some kind of theology related to sluggy rather than something to do with the heart of sluggy itself.

Anyway, since the Oasis subject brings up so many of these other topics, due to the complexity of herr character, a complete susinct thread about her and everything related might be a good idea.

RXY:

what I'm thinking is to start with a basic paragraph or two as an introduction to Oasis's character, without spec. Near the top should also be links to the most important and frequently linked comics relating to this mystery (BWR marionette comic, etc). Something to bring newcomers up to speed, while recapping for veterans and maybe introducing the complexities that readers may not have even noticed in the first place to newcomers to the boards.

After that, if it's going to be a WOHPAOH thread, older theories (SoT) that have been thoughouly debunked should also be listed, with some kind of status report.

IE:

Single Oasis Theory (SoT) (DEBUNKED)

Oasis is a single entity that regenerates after death, blah bah

Supported by blah blah

Debunked due to such and such evidence (links to the three comics linked in the override thread would be great here, along with an explaination)

and so on.

Also, a related theory section (moon twin?), a fact section(oasis is definitely xxxxx), maybe some day a conclusion section?

just an idea. I'm not sure how much time I have to devote to it, but if it's going to be possible, I MIGHT be able to keep an updated front page if I can get some help writing up the basics first. I'd rather not make any kind of commitment at this time though, so if someone else wants to do it, please feel free :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:11 am 
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think Wile E's right. There's just so many different facets of the oasis mystery to put into one thread. The moon twin, ultiple oasis theory kusaris/hc connections, dr steve/daedalus connections, ais/torg connections, oasis/zoe connections and who knows, I'even seen some k'z'k/oasis connections and that alien/oasis/kusari/hc/lonegressive/torg/rif/friff's father connection theory isn't really that far off base either.
(please forgive my sister's crappy keyboard, it misses lettes here an there)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:44 am 
Ok, the Big Guy's right. Seriously, applause all around from the Quixote homeland. I think you've pretty much nailed everything that needs to happen.
So who wants to actually get around to doing all that?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:18 am 
*cough*

RYXlord wrote:
well, i suppose i could give it a shot.

*cough*

though now that Biggerin started a drsteve/isdae thread, i'm not gonna be able to include aspects of how hC and Daedalus fit into the mess, which is gonna be a bit of a pain.

edit: and of course that means that i'm dragging mao along for the ride. give us a few days to compile the data and get it all organised, we should have something for you by thursday at the latest.

Last edited by RYXlord on Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:21 am 
* Eyes RYXlord with increased malice *

We meet again.
Godspeed, young Skywalker.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:30 am 
ok, it's all you RXY (and mao).

And if you're going ot go ahead and do this, the drsteve thread i made is a seperate discussion, but can still be included in the synopsis. I just can't wait that long on this one topic :P

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:49 pm 
AOL: Lunaroki
One thing I'd like to suggest is in the first post of each thread toss in a list of links to related threads to provide an easy navigational aid so folks can cross-reference the divergent theories/topics at any time. For the Oasis thread there'd be links to the Dr. Steve thread and the Moon Twin thread, and of course the old Override B-1 thread. The Dr. Steve/Daedelus thread would have links to the Oasis thread, the hC/Kusari thread, etc.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:39 pm 
ACME Sales Rep.
ACME Sales Rep.
WLM: DesertSongDog
AOL: DesertSongDog
Biggerin wrote:
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think Wile E's right. There's just so many different facets of the oasis mystery to put into one thread. The moon twin, ultiple oasis theory kusaris/hc connections, dr steve/daedalus connections, ais/torg connections, oasis/zoe connections and who knows, I'even seen some k'z'k/oasis connections and that alien/oasis/kusari/hc/lonegressive/torg/rif/friff's father connection theory isn't really that far off base either.
(please forgive my sister's crappy keyboard, it misses lettes here an there)

Yes, that is another problem is that thread titles are often not descriptive enough for the casually browsing poster. Moderators try not to interfere too much in the OP's as long as they don't violate any community standards, so we don't usually change titles unless they are really misleading. However, anyone can make a polite suggestion that the poster of the thread change the title to something more descriptive. I think people forget that they can edit their own posts. Although, I think I will be changing this thread title to something that reflects what we are actually discussing.

Lunaroki wrote:
One thing I'd like to suggest is in the first post of each thread toss in a list of links to related threads to provide an easy navigational aid so folks can cross-reference the divergent theories/topics at any time.

This can be done. I don't mind old topics being brought back up if the discussion is renewed. The forums do not auto-delete anymore but I do try to clean out some older threads every so often so if you want certain threads to stick around you will need to let me know so I can make a note of them.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:37 am 
Ah well... didn't think my name was gonna stay in the title that long.
But yeah, Wile's right, we need to organize our thoughts better if we're going to have any intelligent and civilized discourse. The Moon Twin thread's a good start, and I think I saw one about Daedalus being Dr. Steve. Are we missing anything else? I have a feeling there was another theory floating around the B-1 thread that should be mentioned.

Anyway, good show, sluggites!
If I have anything important to contribute asside from just questions, believe me I will.

Edited, because links make everything better.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:25 pm 
There was a discussion starting about what the four pillars of flame rising from the oasis-marrionette's head meant and how they related to Zoe.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat