Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:11 pm 
AOL: Dolash02
Thought it might have appeared otherwise, I haven't fallen off the edge of the world nor have I been consumed by the swirling forces of the Internet - I am still quite capable of turning out my thoughts when prompted on the most enjoyable comic known as Sluggy Freelance, as I intend to do now on a topic that has been front and center in the comic for a bit now - Timelessness, or if you preffer, Timeless Space. Allow me to be your Dr. Viennason as we take a look at what might be - barring any oversight on my part - the first totally original and completely unique setting and creation on the part of Pete.

Consider Sluggy Freelance since it's introduction - the main setting is a variation on our regular modern world. The Dimension of Pain is a form of hell whose dynamics he hasn't explored much yet, leaving us with little to work with beyond "Demons live there". The Dimension of Lame is a twist on the regular setting. The varios parodies of everything from Harry Potter to... Whatever the Punyverse was a parody of (I know it was of something). This Timeless space, however, is purely and utterly the creation and concept of Pete without first basing it off of some other idea or theme. Admittedly, the pirate aspect does give it some standard form, but the whole concept of people having enough 'time' is a new motivation indeed, and his whole system of timeless space is fascinating.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. One step at a time. Firstly, a refresher course - what is Timeless Space? Timeless Space isn't a place for things that have been cast out of a dimension, it's for things cast out of time itself and only capable of surviving off what time it brings with it. What we don't know is how it relates to the dimension system, however. All of these alternate dimensions seem to exist that are very similar to each other, are those cast out of there relegated to the same Timeless Space, or is there a Space for every dimension?

Evidence suggests there is a space for every dimension, most notably because of the Twin Theory - if all dimensions dumped into the same Timelessness, then there would be a gaggle of identical people throughout Timeless Space because often the alternate versions of themselves would do the same thing that got them thrown out. Also, despite the presence of witches and aliens, we have yet to see anything that is truly interdimensional like a demon about.

So, we can theorize that for every dimension, there is a strange sort of blank area hidden outside of existance whereby things cast out of time and yet still possessing personal time of their own can exist, and even survive by forming societies. Also, it appears that people from throughout time are dumped into it roughly 'at the same time' - as evidenced by Bun Bun and Kada being from clearly distant parts of the same timeline, yet arriving in Timeless Space not too far apart.

We now have the bare bones of how this place functions: The blank area where there is no time, only space (Think of the four dimensions of existance, if you happen to be a Quantum Physicist) and the only source of time is other people. One would think that life here would end quickly, it being a blank patch of nothing, but not the case.

Two things seem to contribute in such a way as to allow those cast here to actually survive: The strange, incomprehensible technology and the unusual presence of rather crackly matter - both, possibly, brought by the Teknokon.

Teknokons were able to move freely between their time and Timeless Space, and apparently did so. The reason why they stopped is unknown, as is why they left their ships and all their stuff, but it appears they predate anyone else being cast out of Time (which is more then weird, considering that they seem to be very technically advanced and yet were the first there, suggesting they actually had control over when in Timeless Space to arrive) and thus it's entirely possible it was them who brought the earth the Leaf-People lived on and the food the rest of Timelessness must need to live off of.

That's the bare bones of civilization in Timeless Space - clinging to life on the leftovers of the Teknokon, hoping to find enough people to maintain your time and enough scraps of land to survive. However, it appears to have evolved upwards from that.

Humans seem to be the most frequently lost in Timeless Space, probably because of our curious natures although probably equally because we're very, very bad at being curious without getting killed. Even though other races are present, humans are dominant, and thus human-style civilization seems to dominate. Thrust into such crude conditions, it's no surprise that those lost to Timelessness reacted as they did - i.e. started preying on each other. Since it's necessary for others to survive in order for them to maintain your own time, however, it appears that mindless death and mayhem are generally discouraged on a large scale for fear of lowering the amount of available time (On a small scale, it appears quite admissible). A sort of 'Might makes Right' system went into effect, and so life goes on.

As always, once a human is confident they won't die in the next half-day or so, they start to think about a way to get out of whatever hell-hole they've landed themself in - so now that we know where they are and what it's like, it's time to look at what they're doing now. Humanity's apparent preoccupation with escape supports why they'd take up Piracy, since it allows them to not only hunt for food and more people to extend their time, but also to prowl Timeless Space in the hopes of discovering Teknokon One or some other miraculous ticket home. Hope springs eternal, as some might say.

This is, though, where the trains of thought divide. I would say the two opposing theories of existance and survival in Timeless Space are the Teknokon One theory and the Clotho Legacy. The Teknokon One theory - most probably supported by Bun Bun, and maybe in secret by Sir John Jacobs - is a very selfish one on the most part, where the only goal is to hunt down and find the legendary ship that will get them the hell out of this place. A reasonable request, if not difficult to actually acomplish. The Clotho Legacy, on the other hand - which appears to be espoused by Calix and at least publically favoured by Sir John Jacobs - is a much more defensive and perhaps easier to accomplish theory whereby the people of Timelessness agree to get along and live in harmony to establish continuous time and turn Timeless Space into an actual habitable place.

These two theories are actually quite interesting, since they'd generate a conflict that has nothing to do with Good or Evil, Law or Chaos, or even clashing cultures or expansionist powers. Good or evil people can take up Clotho's Legacy, like Calix's village and Sir John Jacob's conquests, just like good or evil people can be searching for Teknokon One, like Stu the Carib and Bun Bun.

It's all a question of how they want to accomplish it and why they want to do it - Jacobs wants to use force to bring about Clotho's Legacy so that he might rule, clearly a selfish plan, wheras Calix's people seem to be inadvertedly bringing it to pass the old fashioned way - letting their population grow with time and patiently tilling the soil. Bun Bun wants the Teknokon One to go home, and frankly couldn't give a damn about anyone else in all this dark place or bringing them along so they could go home too, wheras a more virtuous character might search it out to ferry all of Timeless Space's inhabitants back home. The methodes of either side of the two ideologies - those who want to stay and need everyone to join them and stick with it, or those who want to leave and need everyone and everything to power their search - conflict, creating a battle between the pirates who search for a way out and the few vesitges of civilization in Timeless Space.

There is, perhaps, one more observation I'd like to make about Timeless Space before I move on. I've already stated what we know about it scientifically, where it's existance seems to come from, the dominant ideologies and so forth - but there is one comparison that I think encapsulates and unmentioned part of Timeless Space in a nutshell: The Lord of the Flies.

In the Lord of the Flies, boys try and form a society of their own after being stranded on an Island. The whole thing basically implodes, however, and these once 'civilized' boys turn on each other and become wild and vicious and animal once more. An entire collapse of civilization. Much the same has happened in Timeless Space - most of the people we've seen once came from perfectly normal backgrounds, from advanced and sophisticated societies, and yet suddely finding themselves in the chaos and anarchy of Timeless Space has torn what little we call humanity at the seams and reduced these once proud scientists and explorers into savages. Perhaps - just perhaps - the discovery of Teknokon one by a wise, powerful, and benevolent leader might shock them all back to their senses with the promise of home. To quote Kada "You're all taking advantage of a dangerous situation to play pirates?!"

Okay, moving on. We have our setting. We have where it comes from, how it operates, we have broad conflict. Now we need characters.

Obviously foremost is Bun Bun. Despite his improved oratorical skill when it comes to turning the blame for his actions on to the head of others, he is still as he has ever been - a murderous, heartless, emotionless monster. Despite the fact that his actions saved the Leaf-People from the Laser Sword, let's not live any lies about this, it was for personal profit to increase his chance of survival, he had little plan to take care of them once they were imprisoned, and he left the few he couldn't take behind to die when they run out of their suddenly drastically reduced time. Not to mention I imagine he made little effort to discriminate sensibly when taking people from the unconscious heap - there are undoubtedly a number of broken families, with members split up and now quite probably dead on either side. The psychological impact alone could well drive the few remainin in the village to depression or suicide, if they don't run out of time first.

Nevertheless, I must grant a grudging respect for his ability. Unsurprisingly he managed to wrangle a crew and a ship shortly into his tenure in Timelessness. He's also hunted with efficiency for Teknokon One and has proven to be quite capable and manipulative in an environment that actually provides a challenge for him, unlike the simple bullying he employed back home (Small note, it appears that he really is a bully, since his actions in this setting show the classic pattern of exploting the weak and fleeing from the strong as classically exhibited by bullies). Also, it appears he may well be - wether you like it or not - the last vestige of resistance amongst pirates against John Jacobs, or at least the only one worth deploying his whole fleet over.

Bun Bun's original crew apparently wasn't too important to him. In case you hadn't noticed, even one of his Greys appears to have been lost - Hannibal, the wig-wearer, was the lookout still aboard the renamed Laser Sword when it was wrecked. It's entirely possible that he and the majority of the Leaf People and the Bloody Bun's actual crew are still alive, simply prisoners of John Jacobs, and were this anyone but Bun Bun I'd guess a rescue attempt would be mounted. As it is Bun Bun, I think we can say goodbye to them confidently. Off the top of my head, Crazy Ingles, Mr. Skyme, Mr. Skeeve, and Hannibal were the named crewmen who were lost, although I think Pete had them all drawn out as a set (even the unnamed ones).

Then there's his opposite, Sir John Jacobs. It's not unreasonable to guess that John Jacobs is someone else who was also cast into Timeless Space - Lord Grater? Bun Bun from the past/future? Santa Clause? It could be anyone, really, because we know so little. I wouldn't put it past Pete for this to be Bert, at this point. Sir John is - unfortunately - a bigger villain than Bun Bun, because he wants to force people into some sort of Empire and is very officious. As such, Bun Bun looks like a hero simply by being the lesser of two evils - not in character, simply because he has less ambition and power than John. We know little about him except that he seems a capable leader, a forceful personality, merciless, a waster of good drink, and employer of Blacksoul. He is, quite simply, supposed to play the role of the villain - the bad guy with the flunkies to hurl at Our (*ahem*) Hero, although Pete rarely makes things so easy and I look forwards to his twist.

Blacksoul's just as big a mystery as John Jacobs, and could also be anybody - in fact, he's more likely to be someone we know then John. He's evil (completely prepared to wipe out a whole village for information) and seems consumed by the hunt for Bun Bun, but somehow hasn't run out of time yet despite distinctly travelling alone. Although at first it appeared he was killed, now I'm wondering wether he does in fact not need time to operate, and will continue the hunt. Certainly, if a loose wire brings him down, then that's more then a little anticlimactic. I'm guessing there will be a showdown with him and perhaps Bun Bun, since it appears he plays the role of the mysterious robed villain - he may even turn out to be a bigger villain then John.

That really leaves only two major characters in Timeless Space - I know, there are plenty of hilarious secondary characters, the Greys, Donolly, Stu, but I'm trying to focus here. Kada and Calix can be mentioned in the same breath, because either Pete plans to change his writing style or these two are our good-guy couple. If there's one area in which Pete has any predictability at all (And even then, it's hardly that much) it's that he does like to match up young men and women characters in his storylines. Admittedly, from there he might do anything - they could backstab each other, or split up when she goes home and he stays at his home, or maybe Pete will go really crazy and they'll live happily ever after (1:18,642 odds).

Also, Calix and Kada help boost Bun Bun's alignment up a little by their presence, for if we're to feel any sympathy at all for the plight of Bun Bun without having to compromise his character, Pete needs to ensure that Bun Bun's survival is tied in with the survival of other characters who are good - think of Kada and Calix as hostages, in normal situations I personally wouldn't be opposed to seeing Bun Bun suffer painful harrasment from his enemies, but if that pain also falls on his crew, and his crew include good people, even those who don't like Bun Bun have a reason to worry. They're useful to balance him out a little and keep him from causing too much evil on too many people, so that we don't despise him too much Think of the time where he abandoned Kiki and a little girl to drown, if he went and saved them that would compromise his character, so Riff and Torg were on hand to save the day. That way, the child didn't die - thus destroying any chance of anyone feeling sympathetic to Bun Bun ever - and Bun Bun didn't have to compromise his attitude. It's the same thing here.

To draw to my conclusion, what is the lesson of Timeless Space? Is it man's (and Bun's) will to survive against all odds and in the harshest of places? Is it about the ends justifying the means with regards to John Jacob's forced creation of a timeline? Is it about the mysteries of the Universe? Maybe it's about home being where you make it, especially in the case of Calix? Or maybe, it's all of these things rolled into one wondrous and creative world, brought to us by none other than Pete and his creative vision.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:55 pm 
AOL: Lunaroki
A truly fascinating examination of the situation in Timeless Space. My hat's off to you Dolash, for such an insightful analysis. I'm looking forward to the discussions which may emerge from all this. Allow me, however, to poke a few holes in one particular section of your post.

Sir John Jacobs and Blacksoul could not possibly be any of the individuals you have mentioned in that section of your post. They couldn't be alternate Bun-Buns because they simply are too humanoid. Well, maybe if they are robotic bodies like the Torg and Riff bots Bun-Bun and Kiki used that first Halloween that the demons from the Dimension of Pain came after Torg, but otherwise no. If one of them was an alternate Bun-Bun, I'd go with Blacksoul, as he is more obviously robotic. Still in all, I really don't think so.

They couldn't be Bert either. Aside from him being dead, neither of them has uttered the word "crotch" even once. They couldn't be Santa Claus because that would simply be too far out of character for Saint Nick, even if he was reinfected with alien DNA. As for Lord Grater, he simply defines the role of "geeky-villain-wannabe", a role even Blacksoul doesn't fill with the same degree of success. No, if Blacksoul and Sir John Jacobs are anyone we have seen before, it certainly isn't any of them. Interesting ideas though. :)

*Blacksoul attempts to use his non-existent Sith mind powers*

Sir John Jacobs: My world is a crotch!

LOL! XD

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:17 am 
Dolash wrote:
Teknokons were able to move freely between their time and Timeless Space, and apparently did so. The reason why they stopped is unknown, as is why they left their ships and all their stuff, but it appears they predate anyone else being cast out of Time (which is more then weird, considering that they seem to be very technically advanced and yet were the first there, suggesting they actually had control over when in Timeless Space to arrive) and thus it's entirely possible it was them who brought the earth the Leaf-People lived on and the food the rest of Timelessness must need to live off of.

Ah, that at least I can answer. Anyone falling into timeless space prior to the technocon arrival had no ships, so ran out of time and could only be reactivated after the technocon arrival. Anyone encountered by the technocon probably left with them.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:01 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: admiral_meyer
AOL: Antoniemey2
Quote:
The varios parodies of everything from Harry Potter to... Whatever the Punyverse was a parody of (I know it was of something).

That looked like a combination of Star Wars and Power Rangers/rip-offs thereof to me...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:40 am 
Quote:
Also, it appears that people from throughout time are dumped into it roughly 'at the same time' - as evidenced by Bun Bun and Kada being from clearly distant parts of the same timeline, yet arriving in Timeless Space not too far apart.

While this would make a great deal of sense, the fact that Cailix's father and grandfather both spent their lives in Timeless Space (remember his introduction?) suggests that some people entered "earlier" than others.

SluggiteTrekker wrote:
Quote:
The varios parodies of everything from Harry Potter to... Whatever the Punyverse was a parody of (I know it was of something).

That looked like a combination of Star Wars and Power Rangers/rip-offs thereof to me...

Like the Sci-fi Adventure before it, the main plot of Book 7 was a patchwork of parodies, though the main targets were Voltron (Gofotron), Lobo (Lodoze), and Star Wars (Lord Grater). And I know that the leader of the Guacans was a parody of a villain from an old cartoon, probably from around the same time as Voltron, but I'm not sure what it was.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:12 am 
Ooh boy. Not gonna read this yet until I can sit down for the long haul.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:02 pm 
AOL: SimonJester1v1
Location: Look at me still talking when there's Science to do!
The leader of the Guacans is from G-Force. I remember seeing a few episodes of that on Cartoon Network.

Timeless space could be place funneling from all dimension, if you consider two things:

First, it is true, alt-people from different dimensions might end up stranded there. But if timeless space is BIG, then most of them just freeze up and are never found. There might be a legion of alt-Riffs trapped in Timeless space.

Also, portals that open to timeless space seem to be unnatural, generally produced by the malfunction of some device for manipulating the space-time continuum. "Truly" interdimensional beings like the DoP demons probably wouldn't have to deal with that- either their portals work right, or they don't work at all. Only people unaware of dimensional travel seem to get caught (like Kada, who built a device that wasn't intended to allow her to travel at all).

But I admit that the explanation of 'one per dimension' is at least slightly more probable.

As for trying to choose between 'Clotho' and 'escape route' approaches to existence in Timeless Space, you have to keep in mind that there is no good reason to WANT to remain in Timeless Space, rather than returning to one's own place/time. You don't have to be selfish to want to go home. Of course, the strategy of seeking an escape route is made much easier by being a selfish ruthless jerk, as Bun-Bun demonstrates. But I can easily imagine a 'good' exploration vessel trying to get out. Or a good version of Sir John Jacobs using the 'Clotho' method to construct a base camp, from which he can then seek an escape route for himself and his followers.

Interestingly, such a 'good' figure would still have a strong motive to run down the Bloody Bun, because he's carrying evidence critical to escape and is unlikely to share it of his own free will.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:51 pm 
AOL: Lunaroki
Evil Eye wrote:
SluggiteTrekker wrote:
Quote:

Like the Sci-fi Adventure before it, the main plot of Book 7 was a patchwork of parodies, though the main targets were Voltron (Gofotron), Lobo (Lodoze), and Star Wars (Lord Grater). And I know that the leader of the Guacans was a parody of a villain from an old cartoon, probably from around the same time as Voltron, but I'm not sure what it was.

Don't forget Battle of the Planets, represented by Zorgon Gola, leader of the Zorgons. That's probably who you meant when you referred to the leader of the Guacans. That guy didn't remind me of anything but a monster snowman.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:43 pm 
Yeah, I was talking about Zorgon Gola. Sorry, the names of all the aliens in Book 7 have kind of run together in my mind, I guess.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:48 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Zorgon Gola. Talk about a cheesy pun! :pun:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:32 pm 
Evil Eye wrote:
Like the Sci-fi Adventure before it, the main plot of Book 7 was a patchwork of parodies, though the main targets were Voltron (Gofotron), Lobo (Lodoze), and Star Wars (Lord Grater).

Lodoze always bugged me, because Pete was inexplicably trying to do an over-the-top satire of a character who was created as an over-the-top satire. The resulting character actually turned out to be less outrageous than the original. Very odd, very disappointing.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:24 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
ZylonBane wrote:
Evil Eye wrote:
Like the Sci-fi Adventure before it, the main plot of Book 7 was a patchwork of parodies, though the main targets were Voltron (Gofotron), Lobo (Lodoze), and Star Wars (Lord Grater).

Lodoze always bugged me, because Pete was inexplicably trying to do an over-the-top satire of a character who was created as an over-the-top satire. The resulting character actually turned out to be less outrageous than the original. Very odd, very disappointing.

Well, speaking as someone who only recognized the general Anime-ness and Power Ranger-parody roots of the Gofotron storyline, I found Lodoze rather amusing.

Of course, I might feel the same as you if I had the faintest clue who Lobo is ;-)

Dan Aris

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:28 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
I do know who Lobo is, and I can't stand him. So I thoroughly enjoyed watching Bunbun put him in a dress, braid his hair and call him "Priss." And otherwise degrade and humiliate him. Maybe that was Pete's motive, too. :bunbun:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:41 pm 
I think it would have worked better if Pete had spoofed a character that wasn't an intentional joke to begin with (like say, Wolverine).

Spoofing a spoof is just lame, no matter how you cut it.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:48 am 
AOL: GeminiGodAlias
Interesting. This is very interesting. Allow me to disect some of your reasoning and delve into the complicated messiness that you've established exsists in timeless space, and see if I can't sort a bit of it out.

Firstly, let's consider the one non-human anamoly in timeless space aside from Bun-Bun, that is, Caribs. There are other creatures, of course, such as Lady Noga's birds, but the only other sentient creatures we've stumbled across are the Caribs. If anything, I would say that they are the closest to a cross-dimensional creature as anything would suggest, including, say, a demon. Demons do exsist in the Sluggy-verse (K'Z'K, Skippy, and Chilus), although they seem to be far more powerful individually than those of the DoP.

These facts aside, the Caribs are either aliens or transdimensional beings, and since they don't seem to have any particular technological prowess (flashlights used for effects in Dr. Vienneson's videos) then it's likely they are from another universe. Now, this being established, we can also assume that timeless space is the same for all dimensions, all being connected to the some nothingness.

This does create complications, as you said earlier, in that there would be an almost infinitely staggering number of "twins" wandering around, from different dimensions. This can easily be explained away if we apply the Restaurant At The End Of The Universe temporal dynamic to timeless space. For those of you familiar with the H2G2 series, you will know that the RATEOTU floats back and forth through time across the exact moment when the universe collapses into nothingness. You can reach the restaurant from any time period in the universe, which could cause problems since you might go there several times, and accidentally see yourself at a nearby table. However, the strange temporal setup of the restaurant prevents this from happening, so if you decide to skip out on the check, you don't have to worry about your future/past self having to pay for it.

If we assume the same rules apply for timeless space, then many new implications arise. Firstly, no one can actually be in timeless space at the same time that they were there before or will be there in the future. This completely avoids the twin-fit scenario, of which the original case was a grave misunderstanding anyway. Accordingly, timeless space can allow dimensional copies to pass through, but only when their counterparts have left or have yet to arrive. Since escaping timeless space does not necessarily require time-travel (for example, DEATH is an easy escape), this would not be a very difficult task to accomplish. And since timeless space could be quite insanely large, it is, as mentioned earlier, entirely possible for counterparts to be there at the same time, but merely frozen in time, waiting for their line to be jumpstarted.

However, there are a few problems with what I've proposed here. Firstly, the Teknokons MUST be from Kada's universe, since the Teknokon ships all use Remdak software, and are all made of assorted technologies that she is familiar with. Since she mentions that the Remdaks on the ships are of a later version from what she knew, we can assume the Teknokons are from her future. Since the only technology in timeless space is Teknokon, it does suggest that only their universe has managed to pierce timlessness, which would also suggest that each dimension has its own timelessness, so then the Caribs are definitely aliens.

Okay, I went in a circle. But I made you think!

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat