Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:20 pm 
AOL: Dolash02
I've analysed, and I've listed, and I've discussed. I've had questions answered and curiosities clarified. But there is always something new to think about, every time I see a Sluggy Freelance comic or discuss great writing.

Although it is a bit self-indulgent to say the least, one of the things I've thought of and still want to write is much less complex then most of what I've thought of; I want to state aloud just what I'd like to see made into a sluggy Freelance plotline. This is not to say I am asking for these to be produced, or suggesting, or complaining - nothing of the sort, far from it, I trust in Pete to know what to do with his own comic. However, it is easy to derive a lot of entertainment from imagining just what might make a good story.

So in short, here is my list of the top Plotlines I'd Like to See.

1)Revenge Upon the Kittens: The Kitten storyline is one that is just aching, just screaming for closure. The Kittens are still out there, and they are the only things I have ever seen so far to properly out-wit Riff and get away with it. Everyone has lost a friend to them - Torg lost Bert, Riff lost Lucy, and Zoe lost practically everyone she knew at college. The blood of the dead cry out for vengeance, Riff's pride goes unavenged, and to add insult to injury, the kittens are not being fought but placated. Until now, all they have tried to do is keep the kittens calm and controlled.

What I would like to see is not the kittens once again reaping a harvest of the dead on a whim, but instead a proactive plot by Riff to destroy them. Once Riff learns of the power of Chaz, he is certain to realize how perfect a weapon it would be against the kittens. Even if he doesn't, the deaths of all those who fell at the cabin when the kittens foiled Riff's plan and herded the caretakers into one place - arguably, the most painful thing ever to happen to Riff, since he was helpless to stop the massacare of friends and innocents despite using all his cunning - must weight heavily on his mind, and in the past Riff has proven to be obsessive when he becomes emotionally hurt.

Do we require precedent? Recall when Gwynn was taken from him by K'z'k. On the outside, he was calm and normal, but in private he was building a robot of epic proportions specifically to save Gwynn. When Torg went missing in the Dimension of Lame, Riff had a break-down and kidnapped another Torg. Riff cannot deal with failure or helplessness, and he is sure to take up arms once more.

It would also be nice to see more closure on the deaths of the secondary characters. We know well that Bert's soul rests in peace, and his life's work completed, but what of Lucy? Of Dart? What of the Order? Did not those who fall also have ambitions? Have loved ones? It would be interesting to see those who knew them take part in any future storyline, perhaps a boyfriend of Lucy seeking to discover what truly happened to his missing girl, or maybe other members of the Order trying to track down the rogue commander? Maybe Dex and Max had other friends, friends who have been conspiring to take revenge on the one responsible - friends who might mistake that person for Flaky? Unleashing another wave of kittens? The opportunities are endless.

2)Wars between good and evil, with a side order of clarification: The dynamics of dimensions have gotten a bit confusing for me. The Demon King of the Dimension of pain, for example, does he only rule the dimension of pain? Is there a great council of demon kings from across the dimensions, who work together to defeat Gods and Goddesses of Good? It would be nice to know, and especially nice to see this dynamic in action. Deplora ruled the dimension of Grief, and yet she is Horribus's sister - a sister in another dimension. That suggests that the demons are aware of dimensional travel and make ready use of it. That suggests they work together, and might even unite to fight the common foe of the Goddess.

There are many other things that need explaining - how many demon dimensions are there? Is there a trapped Goddess of Good in each one? Do these dimensions work together, or are they isolated? Is each dimension 'linked' to an earth-dimension, or is there just a bunch of random dimensions out there?

No matter the outcome, I would greatly like to see the war between the freed goddess and her demon enemies. The stage is set, the pieces are ready, the pawns are in place, all we await now is Pete's blessing - we have our villains, our subplots, our lieutenants, our wild cards, our personal vendettas, everything is ready to go. I can only hope Pete gives us a front-row seat to this glorious conflict, but that is up to him and his mysterious ways.

3)Timelessness: I'm sure we're all curious about the fate of Bun Bun and his hapless crew, but frankly - and this might sound odd - I think he might be more interesting there. Bun Bun no longer really fits into Sluggy Freelance, since he is supposedly the unstoppable badass bunny, and yet the main characters are now fighting villains so strong even Bun Bun cannot best them - Bun Bun would lose against the kittens, Psykosis, heck maybe even Oasis. With him in Timelessness, however, Pete has a completely fresh setting to paint over with new characters, and doesn't have to worry about setting up situations that would steal Bun Bun's thunder as a might fighter.

As for what he does there, that's completely up to Pete. It could become like a (good) version of Voyager, whereby Bun Bun is constantly trying to find new ways back to his dimension, only to be foiled again and again.

Anyways, those are the top three stories I would like to see. Thank you for letting me voice my opinions aloud and put them in words, because it so much easier to understand oneself that way, and it's nice to know others might read what you have to say and consider it themselves.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:06 am 
I agree in principal that I'd like to see some things close to what you're describing, though I'm not sure if I'd like to see exactly what you're talking about.

I mean, yeah, I tell myself that I'd like closure with the Kittens. But those stories have always been about making spoofs of the B-movie genre. And you never really get closure there.

I'm not saying that closure wouldn't be a bad thing, mind you. I'm just saying that closure would be difficult to do well and still have it "ring true" to the story.

As for Bun Bun....I like timeless space. I like it a lot. But I also like the Holiday stories, and Bun Bun's really the only character who interacts with holidays on a frequent level. And besides, if we have Bun Bun back in the "standard continuity," then it'll be easier for Pete to give us one of those nice little "Bun Bun and Kiki play for a week" stories that, while not necessarily funnier than the standard fare, are always worth a few laughs. "'Oh,' says God. 'A challenge.'"

If only there was some way to keep Bun Bun in timeless space....AND move him back to Sluggy prime....hmmm....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:20 am 
AOL: [email protected]
The story I'm waiting for with bated breath is the return of Oasis.

Will she have found herself?

Will she still be in love with Torg? In hate with Zoë? :oasis:

Will she have unlocked more of what Dr. Steve hinted at in that memory that appeared when she went to the insane asylum?

I'm thinking that she might, someday, be able to be a valuable member of--well, maybe not society, but at least the cast.

Of course, it's also possible that she'll return much as she was before, attempting to get her Torgy back by any means necessary.....and the most interesting part about that is that he'd go with her this time, no resistance.

Dan Aris

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:25 pm 
Point One: I think you've got a good point there - it could be a nice way for Pete to make fun of another type of B-flick: the revenge movie. It also would be interesting seeing calm, introverted Riff being Captain Ahab.

Point Two: You know, I never thought about it that way. Come to think of it, there is a whole lot of stuff going on beneath the surface of this that we don't know about.

Point Three: I liked Voyager! Shut up!

And we really, really, REALLY need some answers regarding Oasis and Hereti-Corp. Even a couple of unlikely scraps would do. I mean, wouldn't it be a hoot and a half if it turned out Daedalus was Riff Sr.? I can just see it now:

Daedalus: Riffington, I am your father!

Riff: As shocked as I am by that revealation, I think you could have worded it better.

Daedalus: Well, I'm a sucker for the classics.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:20 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: N00b4545
I like the idea behind point 3. Not as a permanant plotline, but to keep him there for a few years would be nice. it's an easy way to introduce new characters.

Jezarro wrote:

Riff: As shocked as I am by that revealation, I think you could have worded it better.

As intresting as that exhange of words is, Riffington knows who his father is. He lived with his father when he was younger, and he stills keeps in contact with him.

But it would explain a little how Riff got to be a HC-Freelancer so easily, if his father was Daedalus.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:52 pm 
Notice that if you switch around the letters in Daedalus that you get "Dad Seal U"? That simply can't be a coincidence.

Or maybe it spells Invasion...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:43 am 
verloren wrote:
As interesting as that exhange of words is, Riffington knows who his father is. He lived with his father when he was younger, and he stills keeps in contact with him.

But it would explain a little how Riff got to be a HC-Freelancer so easily, if his father was Daedalus.

Riff: Umm, yeah. I kinda recognized you, Dad. You were the one who set me up with that job as an HC-Freelancer, remember?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:53 am 
The Kitten storyline would be interesting...and I sincerely doubt that Pete will never bring the Kittens back. But I'd point out that , except in the hands of an expert swordsman (not Torg) Chaz would not be so effective against the Kittens. The demons might be tough, but they are also much slower than the Kittens, and have a much bigger surface area to target.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:45 am 
AOL: Surgoshan
Ever play baseball? Neither has Torg.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:21 am 
The more time goes on the more I wonder if we'll ever go back to timeless space and Bun Bun. I might have been one of the only ones but I loved OU and I want to know how it ends. Leaving Bun Bun there and making 'Bun Bun's adventures in timeless space' a semi regular thing could work really well when a change of pace is needed.

Basically, I just miss The Bunny...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:05 pm 
To quickly state my opinion of the Hereti-Corp storyline, I think so far as a story it's lost a lot of thunder. Certainly, when they first appeared on the scene they were a serious, dangerous threat. However, compared to demons, vampires, and so on they're really pretty low on the threat-o-meter right now. Not to mention the fact that they were seriously defeated recently, meaning that there is no 'urgency' to their return. Oasis might take years to truly discover herself, and Hereti-Corp could take even longer to return to power. They have fallen victim to a sort of Superman Syndrome - they were once a potent force of villany, but now on their own they pale in comparison to bigger threats.

However, there is a way of making them relevent again - have them align with the demons. After all, they are Hereti-Corp (Heretic, meaning religious blasphemer). By using Riff's old reports to build their own flux agitator and making a deal with the devil to regain power in return for Torg, we will see some consolidation of storyline.

As for the Kittens, Riff in a classical revenge-style story (Captain Ahab was a brilliant example) would be perhaps the perfect way to handle it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:38 pm 
Those are all good, and I've got a couple storylines on my wishlist too:

1. Torg's family! :torg:

2. This one's really a sidenote of the demon storyline, but I want Halloween back. The last time there was a demon visit was Kikiween (truly awesome, by the way). Last year, all we got was hell freezing over and a photo of the RL Slugween party. I understand things weren't quite the same because Torg was in the DoP at the time, but I missed the yearly demon attack. They were fun.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:39 pm 
I don't think they'll be fun any more - the Demons of the Dimension of pain are no longer funny.

Even Torg, with his impressive ability to detatch himself from normal emotional responses, would react with total and absolute rage if he ever came across another demon. No longer are they a party joke, he's finally properly realized they're an honest-to-god threat to him and everyone he cares for, and if his recent behaviour with Zoe is any indicator, he's likely to find some private corner this halloween to wait and see if they come after him.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:00 am 
There was a suggestion made a while back... what if the Dimension of Sham-Pain demons come back next Halloween to try and reclaim Riff, Zoë, Leo and/or Kiki?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:39 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: N00b4545
Blackcat Moebius wrote:
There was a suggestion made a while back... what if the Dimension of Sham-Pain demons come back next Halloween to try and reclaim Riff, Zoë, Leo and/or Kiki?

I see the Sham-Pain demons as appearing more on a holiday like Thanksgiving then halloween.

shadowsnail wrote:
I missed the yearly demon attack.

I don't see it ever happening ever again. Psykosis seems to care more about rebuilding their demension then about Torg. Torg was Horb's thing.

So if any yearly demons were to appear it'd have to be the Sham-Pain'ers. or Psykosis himself. and he'd slaughter Torg in a few seconds.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat