Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:53 pm 
I can see Torg becoming just like the demons in a sense, by becoming extremely barbaric.

Y'know, like gouging out Psykosis' eye or something.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:17 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Why would Psykosis be able to slaughter Torg in a few seconds?

Remember, Chaz said Torg had gotten better with a sword, and so with his skill and Chaz's power he gave him EQUAL ODDS against a demon lord...and why would Psykosis be any more powerful than Horribus?

I would love to see Psykosis vs. Torg become a storyline, (even more I'd like the Demon King to become a bigger part of it) and I'd also love to see the kittens being brought back too...but next time they face them I hope they have Bun Bun.

When Bun Bun does get back to the gang (I hope not for awhile, I like him where he is, does more for his character) I'd sort of like to see a resurgence against Santa, though it doesn't seem like that will happen.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:07 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
That was with Chaz powered up...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:48 am 
AOL: Dolash02
drachefly wrote:
That was with Chaz powered up...

This is Sluggy Freelance. The innocent constantly die in the wake of Torg and Riff, sometimes practically in their arms. They've long ago gotten used to death (Think Call of Cthuluu) and if Pete's previous writing is any indicator, then if demons came after him someone would be sure to die before Torg - some random innocent, maybe a new secondary character, or perhaps even a regular.

Also, quick note, if the demons do return in any way, shape, or form, it would seem likely that would kick off the beginning of the Epic Confrontation, since then Riff, Zoe, and Gwynn would want to know/find out about what happened to Torg when he went missing. That would lead to something, but just what I couldn't guess.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:06 pm 
In regards to the original post...

A story I would really like to see, is somthing with the vampires. The first vampire story is what hooked me on sluggy, and I think another run through the gauntlet of vampirism would "kick fang"...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:34 am 
Although the Vampires are an entertaining detour, and I too would love a little more closure on the last encounter (After all, the more powerful vampire is still at large, Arminius is still out there hunting, Sam seems to be wandering again, and personally I'd like to see Sam understand what happened to Amelia - maybe feel a little guilt?), but as it stands there appear to be 'Bigger Fish to Fry'. Certainly, a tale of fending off the vampires would be fitting - Halloween is coming, and there is unlikely to be any demons to repel - but there are still so many more imminent problems to deal with, not to mention the group dynamic has gotten so shaky that Pete could do a whole plot arc just about the relations of Torg, Zoe, Riff, and Gwynn.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:26 pm 
For some reason, I've been thinking about a storyline where Torg and the gang acquire super powers. Wouldn't have to be anything major really - maybe just two or three weeks at the most. I guess it's just coming because "Brewster Rockit - Space Guy" had a short Fantastic Four parody recently, and the idea just seemed like it would click well in this comic.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:57 am 
Actually, that might be quite a laugh - lighten the mood after all these serious encounters. Perhaps giving the main characters powers to play with for a few days or an arc or so would do them as well as the mood good.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:18 am 
AOL: Astaereth
Dolash wrote:
but there are still so many more imminent problems to deal with, not to mention the group dynamic has gotten so shaky that Pete could do a whole plot arc just about the relations of Torg, Zoe, Riff, and Gwynn.

You've hit the nail upon the head. We need a plot arc about the normal, everyday relations of the main characters. Lately (and I mean, for the past few years) it seems we've gotten just glimpses of things between long, fantastical plots about aliens and vampires and demons and stuff. What made Sluggy great in the first place was the blending of the fantastical and the normal. Demons in and of themselves are far less interesting than the idea of a normal Halloween party WITH demons. Aylee isn't as funny on her own as when she's interacting with our unfamiliar world. Aylee slinks around a spaceship: parody. Aylee tries to drive a car: comedy. Aylee loses her innocence (when she was Cloney--the only reason it was Cloney in the first place was so Pete could do the cool "Aylee loses her innocence" storyline and then go back on it): drama.

Likewise, Bun-Bun interacting solely with Holidays removes the humor and the drama from the normal situation. It's not nearly as fun to see Bun-Bun completely surrounded by this fantastic stuff because he's not special there. It's a million times funnier to have Bun-Bun, this talking, homocidal rabbit, interacting with normal people (or even the Holidays, but in a normal setting).

I could go on with more examples, but...
Now consider the opposite: Torg and Riff are perfect for travelling to fantastic places because in those storylines they are the normality, they are the contrast. Humor and drama and everything interesting is about surprise, about juxtaposition--at least in Sluggy. Lately, it's all fantasy and none of the reality; or (a little) all reality and none of the fantasy, which is just as bad. I think we need a big heaping dose of reality--because I for one have lost touch with the characters and their feelings and desires and how they relate to themselves and others and their world--to balance things... and then after that, Pete needs to go back to combining reality and fantasy, crazy plots with good character development, humor with drama.

And I'm going to go copy and paste this into Reactions so Pete'll read it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:12 pm 
Oh, I think that Torg has gotten better with the sword. He was doing pretty good at the end there... Hmmm.... Now that is what I would like to see. Torg coming in, kicking ass and taking names, and the looks of Riffs & Zoe's Faces when he does...

And there is all he now knows about the book of E-Ville, and what could happen to Gwen...

Sam

GregED wrote:
The Kitten storyline would be interesting...and I sincerely doubt that Pete will never bring the Kittens back. But I'd point out that , except in the hands of an expert swordsman (not Torg) Chaz would not be so effective against the Kittens. The demons might be tough, but they are also much slower than the Kittens, and have a much bigger surface area to target.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:51 pm 
A plotline I would like to see, is an alt.future story in which Gwynn's cousin Trudy succeeds in taking over the world (old GPF plotline, can't happen now) and rewards Gwynn for her help when she was on the run, (mainly by not turning her in) by making her Baroness of New Jersey.
She uses the power of the Book of E-ville to hold on to power, while THE gang support her with one hand and try to bring down Empress Trudy with the other. :gwynn:
Oh, and Bun Bun is Viceroy of Australia. :bunbun:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:42 pm 
AOL: Surgoshan
Bun Bun accept someone else as overlord? Nevar!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:29 pm 
That's why the Empress has Gwynn keeping an eye on Bun Bun and his contacks with North American Viceroy Gav.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:43 pm 
It's a while I didn't posted here.

Also, what I like to see resolved is Zoe's infamous camel curse, how they'll menage to break the curse? And a flashback mentionning the very first encounter between Bun-bun and Santa

Then what's Aylee and Sacha are up to? And if Oasis shows up, I won't be surprised to see Dr Schlock appearing as well, he might know much more about Oasis then we taught.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat