Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:52 am 
On a roll here :-)

Duct tape... What CAN'T it do eh?

erewhon wrote:
... But yeah, getting helmets on would be a really good idea. The tears in Oasis and Daiyus suits may be survivable if they can be taped over quickly enough.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:58 am 
Some folks have also postulated a skintight inner suit could help with exposure to vacuum as long as the air didn't escape too quickly and there was time to make an emergency patch on the outer suit.

Not that any of the prisoners would have had time to be fitted with custom gear like that before launch.

Dilvish wrote:
Heck, all Torg has to do is get in one little poke with Chaz, and his good buddy Explosive Decompression would do the rest. Chaz would make a relatively big hole in a suit. York would be toast.
Even with all the layers in the current suits, even a relatively small hole would be enough. They've just been fortunate so far. Air, and thus pressure, goes out FAST in space, even from a small hole. One astronaut got a PINHOLE, literally, a hole made by a pin inside the station in one of his gloves, and by the time he noticed it, he almost didn't make it inside to get under pressure again.
And don't get me started on the guy that nearly drowned on a space walk...

I did read a combat Sci-Fi when I was a kid, many, many moons ago, though. The Space Soldiers' suits had a layer of some sort of liquid latex inside them, so if they got holed, the latex would flow out, and harden, plugging the leak. Maybe these suits have something like that? It didn't do much for the hole in the SOLDIER, but at least they didn't suffocate, boil, and freeze, all at the same time.

Let's hope everyone is properly dressed, and SOON for vacuum!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:10 pm 
A thought just struck me. How accurately can Oasis throw her knives in space? If she is able to throw one at Agent York with enough accuracy, that would probably solve that problem.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:42 pm 
OK, my orbital mechanics are overloading.

You don't simply 'come to a stop', (even relative to other nearby objects) without applying thrust in the opposite direction to your travel vector.

The Musky was accelerating at a faster rate than the Mater shuttle, so even with thrust removed it will continue to coast on that vector at a higher intrinsic velocity and will likely pass the Mater Shuttle. The Mater will presumably continue thrusting on that same vector until it matches velocities and can attempt to transfer Shankraft, but that will reduce their reserves of maneuvering fuel and they may well not have sufficient to recover York and decelerate to rendezvous with the station. (Not to mention they would be nuts to get that close to Oasis)

Given the starting differences in velocity it's also hard to see how York matched velocities with the
Musky using the tiny thrusters in his EVA suit. It may have simply been a drive-by shooting, but in that case there is no way he would be able to keep station on the Musky shuttle and continue to threaten them.

His intrinsic velocity would be much the same as when he departed the airlock of the Mater shuttle and both shuttles have varied their acceleration since then. By rights he has pretty much no propellant left, even for just maintaining orientation. Frankly I think York has just been discarded. There aren't many viable options for getting him back.

I've obviously played waaay too much Kerbal :-)

Finally, how much ammo can one, (apparently quite large calibre) magnetic rifle hold? That initial burst must have pretty much cleaned him out - not to mention the power pack. Gauss guns chew the watts.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:26 am 
erewhon wrote:
Finally, how much ammo can one, (apparently quite large calibre) magnetic rifle hold? That initial burst must have pretty much cleaned him out - not to mention the power pack. Gauss guns chew the watts.

Not to mention it would have given York a pretty big delta-p in the opposite direction.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:40 am 
Yep, unless he opposed it with his EVA thrusters - but that would use even more propellant

choatie88 wrote:
erewhon wrote:

Not to mention it would have given York a pretty big delta-p in the opposite direction.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:11 am 
The difficulty would be assessing their relative velocities with eyeball instrumentation and no fixed frame of reference.

Just because something is pointing in a direction in space doesn't mean it's travelling that way

slightlylooney wrote:
A thought just struck me. How accurately can Oasis throw her knives in space? If she is able to throw one at Agent York with enough accuracy, that would probably solve that problem.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:12 am 
The Musky was supposed to be a secret military shuttle.

I wonder if it is armed?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:00 am 
erewhon wrote:
The difficulty would be assessing their relative velocities with eyeball instrumentation and no fixed frame of reference.

Strictly speaking, you don't need a fixed frame of reference to judge relative velocities as you can, in this situation, regard yourself as stationary - the shuttle is no longer accelerating. What you need is a way to track the range, the angles and the changes in range and angles in two axes relative to yourself. That, admittedly, is something that is difficult at best using the Mk I eyeball. If Oasis were to throw a knife, she would also need to account for the lack of air resistance, the lack of acceleration due to gravity and, of course, the velocity of the knife she is throwing. This would still be a difficult throw.

Another question is what sensors does the Oasis satellite have? If she can track the velocity vectors of the two targets and calculate the necessary targeting solution, Oasis can also successfully throw the knife. The fact that the Oasis satellite is being towed is irrelevant - she just needs to track the relative velocity vectors of the Musky-5 and Agent York. Even then, she still wouldn't need a fixed frame of reference.

Edit: You can still obtain a targeting solution even if the shuttle and Agent York were both accelerating. It just would make the calculations more difficult and there is always the possibility that Agent York could take evasive action. Even then, a fixed frame of reference is still unnecessary.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:46 pm 
Hence my qualification re. "eyeball instrumentation".
The Musky may well have fairly sophisticated radar and other sensors as well- it is a military shuttle.

With eyes alone it might be difficult to even see York. Lighting in space is highly dependent on angles and intensity of light source (sun or 'earthlight') and there is no uniform diffused light like you get in atmosphere. Shadowing effects are particularly intense as well.

slightlylooney wrote:
erewhon wrote:

Strictly speaking, you don't need a fixed frame of reference to judge relative velocities as you can, in this situation, regard yourself as stationary - the shuttle is no longer accelerating. What you need is a way to track the range, the angles and the changes in range and angles in two axes relative to yourself. That, admittedly, is something that is difficult at best using the Mk I eyeball. If Oasis were to throw a knife, she would also need to account for the lack of air resistance, the lack of acceleration due to gravity and, of course, the velocity of the knife she is throwing. This would still be a difficult throw.

Another question is what sensors does the Oasis satellite have? If she can track the velocity vectors of the two targets and calculate the necessary targeting solution, Oasis can also successfully throw the knife. The fact that the Oasis satellite is being towed is irrelevant - she just needs to track the relative velocity vectors of the Musky-5 and Agent York. Even then, she still wouldn't need a fixed frame of reference.

Edit: You can still obtain a targeting solution even if the shuttle and Agent York were both accelerating. It just would make the calculations more difficult and there is always the possibility that Agent York could take evasive action. Even then, a fixed frame of reference is still unnecessary.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:06 pm 
erewhon wrote:
Hence my qualification re. "eyeball instrumentation".
The Musky may well have fairly sophisticated radar and other sensors as well- it is a military shuttle.

I suspect we are both making the same argument here.

In any case, I also would find it odd if the Musky-5 did not have radar or other sensors. Come to think of it, it would be equally odd if the Oasis satellite didn't have those either.

This makes me wonder if Hereti-corp had copies of whatever access or IFF codes that were needed to approach the Oasis satellite without her either taking evasive action or opening fire.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:31 am 
Quote:
This makes me wonder if Hereti-corp had copies of whatever access or IFF codes that were needed to approach the Oasis satellite without her either taking evasive action or opening fire.

I thought Oasis-Satellite relied on it's invisability to avoid detection. I would guess this applied across the majority of the EM spectrum, or it would show up like a beacon on radar. Especially a Doppler radar. I used to work on such things, so I know their capabilities...

Honestly, just between you, me, and the wall, I hope they blow Schlock to Kingdom Come. Or how about Duchy Come?
Maybe to the Province Come...?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:17 am 
Well, there are the four previously launched FIDO missiles which are still lost in space.... The odds against it are literally astronomical, but it would be Pete's style.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:45 am 
slightlylooney wrote:

Dr. Steve's watch? I wouldn't be surprised if those had some RFID thing that made the satellite stand down.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:31 pm 
Gwynn and Zoe are going to get to be on the space station, somehow.

A gun shown in the first act is shot off in the third. We know bun bun and kiki are hiding ..

I do want to see Schlock's expression to come face to face with bun-bun again.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat