Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:54 pm 
My Hope: The technology for O.A.S.I.S. is when we finally tie in "Stick Figures in Spaaaaaace" to the story line. So - Alien technology created by the KnifeShirt people.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:06 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: alecatmew
AOL: alecatmew
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
I assume the plan is to swap out the microwave beam for a somewhat more...useful weapon.

Well done. When I read it in today's strip it made so much sense but still came as a complete surprise. An aha moment, for sure.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:52 am 
Damn, that was a quick confirmation wasn't it? lol
They really ARE headed straight toward DoR territory aren't they? I keep trying to find flaws in that prediction, but they keep getting knocked down. Hm

I wonder how many versions of DoR Riff dies in, vs how many where he becomes Grumpy Riff. That info would impact his odds of surviving a kill order while handcuffed in a spaceship and surrounded by four assassins.

Oohhh wait...what if there are no Kusaris in 4U City because she disobeys Schlock's order here?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:48 am 
Sasha Kusari 2 (behind the pilot seat) looks like she's inactive. What else is going on?

Sasha and Gwynn taking out the Kusari Satellite right now would be useful. I wouldn't put it pas t Izzy to know about it.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:16 am 
Oh snap, you're right! I wonder if she activated the Sasha on the satellite

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:22 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
Damn, that was a quick confirmation wasn't it? lol
They really ARE headed straight toward DoR territory aren't they? I keep trying to find flaws in that prediction, but they keep getting knocked down.

I have been intensely disturbed by the DoR (one of the best storylines) since it happened...and feared that we were indeed heading that way.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:17 am 
"Base computer used for edits.."
Just what edits might Chen have done (or Torg off-camera for that matter) during the time at the rebirth facility?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:19 pm 
Hmm...since Kusari's only emotion is "envy," I'm thinking that the discovery of Oasis' impending transformation into Harbinger isn't going to sit too well with her.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:31 pm 
Also, Schlock discovering that her humanity is evolving the point where she can violate the spirit (if not the words) of his orders for sentimental reasons doesn't look good for her future job security.

We have no idea how this all went down in 4U, but there definitely wasn't a Kusari or Sasha analogue in that universe that we saw. It was just Harbinger. The story makes it look at first like it's just alternate universe shenanigans, but the more it looks like a possible future the more it seems that Kusasha didn't originally survive the transition and Schlock's ascension.

Most likely Schlock saw her as a less effective tool and, knowing him, never forgot that time she almost killed him, and simply discarded her in favor of Oasis. Riff figuring this out and playing on Sasha's natural envy to cause an effect similar to Oasis going haywire against Steve could be what gets him out of this.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:16 pm 
erewhon wrote:
Sasha Kusari 2 (behind the pilot seat) looks like she's inactive. What else is going on?

As others have pointed out, and confirmed in today's strip, Kusari/Sasha's irritation at Riff has been aimed at keeping him silent, so that Schlock would not be aware that he's there. That suggests that Kusari/Sasha knew damn well that Schlock would want her to kill Riff and/or would not want her bringing him along for the ride.

When Riff speaks up, you can see that Sniper-Sasha (pilot) is angry/irritated that Riff did not keep his mouth shut. Likewise, Kusari-Sasha appears irritated as she puts her face down on her arms (effectively doing a silent face-palm) - that is just registering her annoyance, not shutting down.

I always had a feeling that Sasha knew damn-well that Riff was behind bullet-proof glass when she fired at him - allowing her to follow orders without following them. Now there is no such rationale that she can hide behind. Does she break from her programming or does she try to kill him? We pretty much know that Riff doesn't die, so.... If Kusari does try to kill him, what will save him?

I don't think that Pete is quite ready to have a "break from programming moment"... (it will come soon, but I don't think it will occur tomorrow). I think Shankraft will object and demand how he knows about Project Harbinger. That will buy Riff time, at least. It will be interesting to see Schlock's reaction if Riff does tell him.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:40 pm 
swmartian wrote:
OK, so for 'what happens next'... I'm still betting on "Oasis about to become very dangerous". "Know thyself" is key and all the more so now. It's the difference between Oasis taking control and Oasis being controlled.

I concur, and also note that Oasis is currently closest to Chaz. I will spec (probably incorrectly) that she will grab the sword and block Kusari's attempt to kill Riff, perhaps with a Big "No!" because either she remembers him somehow (with a hazy figure she can't focus on next to him, kinda like a perception filter) or simply because he seems to have answers that she needs.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:14 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
I don't think Oasis would be a good bet to save Riff because Schlock has Roberts in his pocket. My money's on Shankraft.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:45 pm 
And in 4U City, Shankraft wasn't killed until much later...by Harbinger, after his attempted coup against "His Masterness." Of course that Shankraft didn't know what Riff is about to spill so perhaps the timeline will alter itself here?

What a week!

(I still hope for a happy ending for Shankraft and his odd girlfriend, preferably back in her home village).

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:57 am 
I dunno...the Sasha that interacted with Team Nifty always did show at least a simulacrum of empathy and emotional responses to various stimuli. Much more so than her Kusari analog (apart from Kusari's obvious fear of BunBun)

There is also the unexplained visit she paid to Torg shortly after her breaking cover and attempting to shoot Riff. That was a much more (apparently) emotionally loaded encounter than you would expect from Kusari.

I suspect she has been evolving slowly, which would not necessarily be unexpected for a self-aware brain in a satellite.

It's also possible that the different Kusaris and their different experiential paths have resulted in a kind of internal tension in the brain satellite.
CodeBlack wrote:
Also, Schlock discovering that her humanity is evolving the point where she can violate the spirit (if not the words) of his orders for sentimental reasons doesn't look good for her future job security.

We have no idea how this all went down in 4U, but there definitely wasn't a Kusari or Sasha analogue in that universe that we saw. It was just Harbinger. The story makes it look at first like it's just alternate universe shenanigans, but the more it looks like a possible future the more it seems that Kusasha didn't originally survive the transition and Schlock's ascension.

Most likely Schlock saw her as a less effective tool and, knowing him, never forgot that time she almost killed him, and simply discarded her in favor of Oasis. Riff figuring this out and playing on Sasha's natural envy to cause an effect similar to Oasis going haywire against Steve could be what gets him out of this.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:05 am 
Thom Solo wrote:
swmartian wrote:
OK, so for 'what happens next'... I'm still betting on "Oasis about to become very dangerous". "Know thyself" is key and all the more so now. It's the difference between Oasis taking control and Oasis being controlled.

I concur, and also note that Oasis is currently closest to Chaz. I will spec (probably incorrectly) that she will grab the sword and block Kusari's attempt to kill Riff, perhaps with a Big "No!" because either she remembers him somehow (with a hazy figure she can't focus on next to him, kinda like a perception filter) or simply because he seems to have answers that she needs.

Looks like it's going in that direction. She's got Chaz now, and that sure isn't good for the ol' innocent-blood Sashas over there.

Does this mean Oasis can no longer be controlled? Could everyone's recent-ish actions shifted the timeline enough that it can't course-correct toward DoR anymore, with Oasis seeing herself being the final straw, making Harbinger impossible?

Orrrr is this all just part of the process toward 4U doom?
God, I hope not.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat