Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:33 am 
Or it could reprogrammable.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:02 am 
Kesandru wrote:

This is what I'm leaning towards. Bun-bun seemed to think he at least might have found a way to reprogram it using the equipment at Dr. Steve's base lab, although, as Yodimus_Prime pointed out, the only person that actually successfully used the watch is Dr. Steve.

But while Dr. Chen said that a rebirth could use the watch because the voice pattern matches, he later says to Tord that the rebirths are 'not much' different from regular clones. And it doesn't really make sense that a normal clone would share the voice pattern of the original subject, for the same reason that identical twins don't have the same fingerprints (most elements in a voice pattern, like fingerprints, should not be genetic, I would think).

So I think a rebirth that was a modified clone with some of Dr. Steve's consciousness or something might have a chance. But Roberts doesn't seem much like Dr. Steve to be honest, so it makes more sense to me that the watch could be reprogrammable than a clone could use it. And I think it's completely in Chen's interest to misrepresent the situation to Schlock, more so than to Torg (although it looks like he wasn't totally straight with Torg either).

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:59 am 
Riff is being moved into the satellite Schlock is in… I think we're in for one last satisfying DOMP.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:50 pm 
FullMetalArchivist wrote:
Kesandru wrote:

This is what I'm leaning towards. Bun-bun seemed to think he at least might have found a way to reprogram it using the equipment at Dr. Steve's base lab, although, as Yodimus_Prime pointed out, the only person that actually successfully used the watch is Dr. Steve.

But while Dr. Chen said that a rebirth could use the watch because the voice pattern matches, he later says to Tord that the rebirths are 'not much' different from regular clones. And it doesn't really make sense that a normal clone would share the voice pattern of the original subject, for the same reason that identical twins don't have the same fingerprints (most elements in a voice pattern, like fingerprints, should not be genetic, I would think).

So I think a rebirth that was a modified clone with some of Dr. Steve's consciousness or something might have a chance. But Roberts doesn't seem much like Dr. Steve to be honest, so it makes more sense to me that the watch could be reprogrammable than a clone could use it. And I think it's completely in Chen's interest to misrepresent the situation to Schlock, more so than to Torg (although it looks like he wasn't totally straight with Torg either).

I've said before that I think Chen believes he can reprogram the watch (hence his obvious interest in the computer in Steve's office.

I think this is the most likely scenario, though it's also possible that he may have surreptitiously acquired sufficient voice samples while working with Steve, (or afterward at HC working for Dade) to build a voice filter device that mimics his voice. Not highly likely and its hard to see how he could conceal it while captive, though it could simply be something like program code and a sample database on a micro SD card concealed on (in?) his body.

He'd still need something like a modern smartphone to run it on.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:21 pm 
FullMetalArchivist wrote:

Personally I'm thinking voice is like handwriting it can be copied, but to exactly match stresses and pauses that are naturally done is tricky.

One thing regarding Chen that flagged up with me is his obsession with Oasis. There's something about her he can't leave alone (akin to an addiction). Whereas Schlock is interested in the technology around the Oasis project. He's more worried about the computers than Oasis herself.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:52 am 
I'm guessing that Torg is going to destroy those backup computers, firstly on the logic that it would probably "free" Oasis, and secondly because Schlock is getting his hopes up.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:23 am 
Pied Typer wrote:
I'm guessing that Torg is going to destroy those backup computers, firstly on the logic that it would probably "free" Oasis, and secondly because Schlock is getting his hopes up.

I'm guessing he's going to just leave for some completely illogical reason so as to drag out the story for another twenty years.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:27 am 
He's chasing after Chen. Why would he stop to destroy computers? Besides, he knows where the place is and how to get inside.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:00 am 
Well, I didn't believe Chen actually believed that he could use Daedalus' voice to control Oasis. And I still think it doesn't make sense. Schlock seems to know more about cloning than Chen, so maybe he never believed it to begin with. Or maybe Chen actually is going to get control of Oasis. We'll see.

Even if he does, I think he's still at a disadvantage, though. He's betting that Oasis, recently KO'd, can overpower Kusari, who is admittedly weakened. But there are also two of her, one who could potentially shoot Oasis again. Then Kusari could have a chat explaining that while Chen may have put himself in the position of the only one to control Oasis, he is going to hand that control over to Schlock right now, or Kusari will have to become a little more persuasive without jeopardizing Chen's usefulness.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:07 am 
The key phrase here is 'Free yourself of your binds'. That came before chen's 'you will obey Marcus'.

Free yourself of your binds will be interpreted as 'don't need to obey'.. and that is before 'obey Marcus forever'. Since the bonds are free, the obey marus forever is null and void. Override b2 is now gone. Also, 'you love torg' is gone. She is now a free agent., and the commands from Chen has backfired on him.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:18 am 
Ehhh what update are you two reading? :P He used Dade's voice - which we already established will work on Oasis why is that even up for debate - to FIRST command Oasis to obey Chen, then Chen, as commander of Oasis, instructed her to free herself from her binds.

Bind 1 we know prevents her from killing HeretiCorp agents, so freeing herself of it is moot since Steve already had her trigger an override in their presence (he probably didn't want it removed in case he ever got back in control of his company). The subsequent lower priority Binds 2, 3, etc are unknown because there are no overrides for them, although I'm sure we're gonna see what they're all about next week. I suspect they also involve killin'. Lots and lots o' killin

It also suggests that obeying the company is the first Bind, which makes it very unlikely that the ability to command her is one of her Binds, ie you can't use that command to give her free will. But in the unlikely chance that there is in fact a top priority Bind 0 that can be removed, I'm certain Chen is just as aware of that fact as Aladdin was when he wished for his genie to be free. Some characters I could see doing that on accident, but not Chen.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:34 am 
Sort of picked it! :-)

erewhon wrote:

I've said before that I think Chen believes he can reprogram the watch (hence his obvious interest in the computer in Steve's office.

I think this is the most likely scenario, though it's also possible that he may have surreptitiously acquired sufficient voice samples while working with Steve, (or afterward at HC working for Dade) to build a voice filter device that mimics his voice. Not highly likely and its hard to see how he could conceal it while captive, though it could simply be something like program code and a sample database on a micro SD card concealed on (in?) his body.

He'd still need something like a modern smartphone to run it on.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:39 am 
I actually took it as an instruction to attempt to free herself of her physical binds - ie, the ropes around her wrists and legs.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:19 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
erewhon wrote:
I actually took it as an instruction to attempt to free herself of her physical binds - ie, the ropes around her wrists and legs.
Yes that's what he meant, but how will Oasis interpret it? Physical binds or mental binds? I'm leaning towards mental.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:52 am 
erewhon wrote:
Sort of picked it! :-)

Yeah, you were definitely the closest. Roberts wasn't in play at all. And the device he used was even established under our very noses. Good job, Pete.

Yodimus_Prime wrote:
He used Dade's voice - which we already established will work on Oasis why is that even up for debate

No one has successfully (or unsuccessfully) used Dade's voice to command Oasis. We've established that Dr. Steve's voice worked, yes, but the thing I don't think makes sense is that Dade's voice would be the same as Dr. Steve's, even given that he is a clone. But Chen has heard both their voices, so I guess they must sound similar.

Another point that's been pretty overlooked is that the control watches stopped working for Dr. Steve at the end, because of Bun-bun and Kiki's activities. Control watches that sent commands via Dr. Steve's base lab shouldn't have worked anyway. But maybe the computer in the rebirth facility can also send out commands, and that's what this watch is connected to.

What I'm kind of hoping for is that when Chen talks with Schlock, something in the conversation will imply that Chen is an employee of Hereti-Corp, and Oasis will kill Chen due to Override B-1 because he never explicitly told her to stop doing that. But that's probably not very likely.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat