Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:48 am 
BAH! I feel I would have gotten more if it hadn't been split. Oh well... C'est la vie.

This multiple versions of medical nanites deal is interesting... unfortunately it adds another 3 or 4 million possibilities to the pot... Riff seems to be implying MN 2.0 don't have a reboot function like MN 3.0.

Also... it's interesting that what looks like a cult symbol keeps popping up. In the posters in the background in panel 6 today and on schlock's shirt in panel 2 yesterday. It's not the Cult of K'Z'K though. Curiouser and curiouser... Perhaps Skippy's cult? A merger of the two? A cult specific to DoR? Or it could just be a "Big Brother is watching you" reference. Hmm...

Wednesday shotgun:
Frog is revealed to be lying/wrong about shooting schlock
DoR Riff threatens DoN Riff with his cane for interupting
It is revealed that Schlock was involved with a K'Z'K-esque cult
It is revealed it didn't used to rain as much before the rise of 4U city.

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:43 pm 
jmpuglia wrote:
jmpuglia wrote:
jmpuglia wrote:
Friday Recap-spec-shotgun-extravamuganza:
Over the course of the next few comics:
"Old" Riff explains that he and Zoe were DFAd out of his dimension following the Oasis/Harbinger attack and landed in a dimension similar-yet-opposite of the 4U dimension (i.e. it never rains). Much later, he was able to get back in time for Schlock to hand the reigns over to him. He and Schlock made a deal that involved Schlock being "allowed" to die and Riff getting the tools he needs to create something to replace his lost Zoe (Kusari-is-Zoe speccers take note). To do so, he needs: nanites, cloning science, thought-links (Schlock's balloon-Schlock, R.E.V.I.E.W. machine, etc) and vast volumes of information on behavior (Grab-All databases integrated into 4U's data-pools).
What he's been working on in the basement actually affects the weather and is why it rains so much in 4U.
I still say that cane is a very important piece of equipment in the whole ordeal.

End of Shotgun-extravagaTonyDanza.

Shotgun-reloaded.

Keep it coming.

I have plenty of Ammo.

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:51 am 
He wiggled the cane in riffs direction! That could be threatening! lol... nah... who am I kiddin.

Thursday shotgun:
DoR Riff hits DoN Riff with his cane out of frustration
It is revealed that Schlock was involved with a K'Z'K-esque cult
It is revealed it didn't used to rain as much before the annihilation event

Edit 12:09 am 5/18/2011:
Add to shotgun:
It is revealed the Central Tower mounted DFA was *not* used to cause the annihilation event.

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:22 am 
Spec for 19/5 - The annihalation event will have something to do with Harbinger / Oasis

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:22 am 
Speculation for tomorrow:
It will be revealed that Dr. Schlock did not "wipe out the rest of the world".
Instead, he used DFA-technology to seperate 4U-city from the rest of the Dimension.
Probably by DFA'ing the entire city to another dimension, but somehow splitting the dimension is also an option.

This seems so obvious I would be surprised if noone have long-standing specs on this, but I won't bother checking.

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:28 am 
Spec for tomorrow (19/5) - [It is revealed that] the annihilation event was caused by nanites

[edited]

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:31 am 
Never formally played "THE GAME" before, so I'm not really up on the rules, but I think the reveal is going to be that the Annihilation Event was K'Z'K, and that Schlock saved 4U City by DFAing he and his minions as they attacked the city.

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:37 am 
Actually, you know what? I retract that. Looking at the timeline, the Event happens right after the R&D Wars Go Hot, so I think the Event is R&D Wars-related. I'm further speculating it's Nofun-mutant-related. I still think Schlock saved 4U by DFAing the attackers at the gate.

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:44 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: jorodryn
Location: Well since the universe expands infinitely in all directions, The center of the universe.
Ok, still in the high standings and haven't made an actual guess in months. So here is a slightly long term guess. Our DoN Riff will ask the Old 4U City Riff why he didn't just time travel to before the catastrophic event and stop it.

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:53 pm 
Re-loading my previous shotgun.

End of Line.

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:15 am 
Woot! Tomorrow's strip should let me finally claim the points for my long term spec... and I'll finally be able to set some new long term spec.

Hmm... something is bothering me about yesterday's time line. If we assume DoN Riff arrived after the advent of the REA 5 (and I think that is a given)... then at the earliest he arrived in DoR 23 years after The Betrayal... except... if we go back 23 years before bROKEN in DoN we sail right off of the edge of the map (Along Came a Bunny was only 14 years ago). It would also mean DoR Riff and Torg both knew Zoe at least 10 years earlier in DoR than in DoN. But here's the fun bit. We know for sure that this doesn't work. DoR Riff is already starting to show the signs of age about 8 years before DoN Riff arrives in DoR (at the reinvention of popcorn in Dimension of Caribs (this may not be the best name but I'm gonna run with it)). They cannot be similar ages after the REA 5s appear because DoR Riff is already old and wrinkly by then.

So ether DoR is time shifted compared DoN to account for the difference in ages (something which is unprecedented in the sluggyverse) or DoN Riff traveled through both dimensions AND time when his Mark 19 blew up.

Seeing as time shifts between dimensions is unheard of in the sluggyverse let's start with the assumption that "pyrokinetics + explosion + activating a dfa that is on fire = dimension hop + time travel." With this setup we can assume that as DoR Riff was still relatively young looking at the advent of Dimensional Windows, which takes place simultaneously with The Annihilation Event, then the events of bROKEN likely occurred at or before this moment. This put's The Betrayal in DoR happening around the time of The Holiday Wars in DoN... after Dangerous Days Ahead. This fits with the idea of DoR Riff and DoR Schlock working for Hereti-Corp at the time of The Betrayal. It also means that the explosion of the Mark 19 propelled DoN Riff 15 years into the future.

Ok... so how about time shifting. If we assume bROKEN and the Rise of REA 5's roughly coincide... then DoR is timeshifted by about 15 years. Meaning every one in DoR is 15 years older than their DoN counterparts. This works more or less elegantly as well. It puts the R&D wars in DoR happening at the equivalent time as it is set to happen in DoN... even if in a direct comparison DoR's R&D wars happened around the time of Along Came a Bunny. It also puts DoR Riff's betrayal at roughly the same equivalent time as the destruction of the Mark 19 in DoN.

But there is a problem with both of these... Why wouldn't DoN Riff notice how much younger (yes, younger) every one looked? Think about what we know of MN 3.0 and the DoR timeline. MN 3.0 reboot you to the day you were bio-chipped. We have every reason to think Izzy was present for the rise of 4u City and was bio-chipped right at the start... almost exactly 20 years before the advent of MN 3.0. We can safely assume the same for Torg. That would mean Torg would look 5 years younger than Riff would be expecting... even if he was actually 15 years older. And remember that with either theory the physical age of everyone in relation to events in DoR and DoN Riff (as he is shown in DoR) is the same. It is their age relative to the events of DoN that would be different between theories.

I think I can feel my brain cells dying. It's like a tiny cataclysm in my mind trying to figure this thing out. (fighting... urge... to quote... obi-wan...)

But... what if bROKEN was occurring simultaneously with The Betrayal. This would be some what evocative of Occam's Razor from a writers perspective. It makes the rise of 4U city and the R&D wars line up well enough with events in DoN. 2 years after The Betrayal 4U city rises above the remains of Dr Steve's lab in DoR. 2 years after bROKEN Schlock is relocating Hereti-Corp to Dr Steve's lab in DoN. And the R&D wars are already on the horizon in DoN. But... of course time travel is still needed to account for the discrepancies in DoN Riff's arival to DoR. Only instead of 15 years of time travel we need the full 23 years worth.

Guess what... noticeable age difference still applies... only 5 years in the opposite direction. Unless MN 3.0 doesn't slow aging like MN 2.0 and every one had their last reboot about 5 years before Riff's last reboo... *head explodes*

Thursday shotgun:
DoR Riff explains that DoR is beyond hope and cannot be saved... not even with time travel.

EDIT 12:10am 5/20/2011 (comic hasn't gone live yet):
dunno why I said thursday... meant friday shotgun... just now caught that

Last edited by Jormungandr on Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:06 pm 
Long-long term spec:
Riff will end up as the head of whatever is left of Hereti Corp after Torg is done with it, taking it in an all new mostly-not-intentionally-evil direction

Shorter-term spec:
DoR Riff will send DoN Riff back to stop the rise of 4U City in his dimension
Izzy is going to slap Riff hella hard when she finds out he's been alive
It turns out Riff is trying to build a TARDIS (Doctor Who theme stuck in his head for fifteen years, has selective dimension/time travel capability, makes sense)

Tomorrow Spec:
Riff's return caused Schlock's death
Schlock allowed Frog to kill him

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:53 pm 
Um. Just keep my shotgun reloaded for now. I need new ammo, but what I have will have to do for now.

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:11 am 
*cries softly*

oh well... I suppose going back in time is still a possibility... even if it would mean some sort of paradox would form. I was hoping to change my long term spec but now I face the possibility that I will have to wait until DoR Riff is completely done R.E.V.I.E.W.ing to change it... assuming he never admits to trying to alter history. Bleh.

C'est la vie... again.

And if DoR Riff never does go back into time... then DoN Riffs jump foward through time and/or the time shift between dimensions will have to be even bigger... wait a sec... MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Monday shotgun:
DoR Riff explains that DoR is beyond hope and cannot be saved... not even with time travel.
DoR Riff tells DoN Riff that he altered the latter's "trajectory" as he entered DoR so that he appeared in the same place... but at a different time that he otherwise would have.

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:21 am 
Jormungandr wrote:
*cries softly*

oh well... I suppose going back in time is still a possibility... even if it would mean some sort of paradox would form. I was hoping to change my long term spec but now I face the possibility that I will have to wait until DoR Riff is completely done R.E.V.I.E.W.ing to change it... assuming he never admits to trying to alter history. Bleh.

No, a paradox won't form, if they don't observe what is happening in that dimension NOW. That means the DoN Riff can go back in time without a paradox if the future is not observed.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat