Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:38 am 
And what does Zoe have in her pockets? Why, methinks she has the OmniTaser Supreme in there still. And she plans to use it on Schlock! Woot! Let's hope it works! PLEASE let it work.

And Frog is funny. Heh.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:13 pm 
I think that Torg may actually have the OmniTaser Supreme™ now; it looks like he used it during the melee in the main lab. If so, I really, really hope that Zoë has something else up her sleeve!

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:00 pm 
Gwynn will sneakily decide to be "selfless" and jump out of the ship during atmospheric entry. It will backfire horribly. Now she's charred-zombie-skeleton-demon possessed by bug. Demonic Arc begins!

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:46 am 
Oasis has already proven more complicated than HC expected. For example she was able to escape from their control when she saw 'herself' - which appears to have been Dr Steve's intention.

It's always possible he programmed a disconnect when she reaches a certain level of self awareness.

kansaichris wrote:
I love all of these theories about Oasis being able to survive without a connection to her satellite, but remember that earlier in this chapter Dr. Montgomery said disrupting Oasis for "an hour at this stage would risk permanent damage to the parts of her we need to 'win the war'", insisting on a time limit of five minutes tops. I wonder if anything has changed then? Does Dr. Montgomery just not care if she permanently damages Oasis anymore? Is she planning on tying Oasis up and then rebooting her satellite within that five minute window? Or does she have some other trick up her sleeve?

Of course, it's quite possible that the satellite itself—not the "organic"—is the part of Oasis that Dr. Montgomery was saying hC needs to win the war. If so, I find it interesting that turning the satellite off would risk damage to the satellite rather than to the Oasis clones.

All that said, it may also simply be the case that Dr. Montgomery doesn't understand how Oasis works as well as she thinks she does…

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:52 am 
Sooo.. any guesses as to what the 'Emergency Button' Schlock has taken from the shuttle and put under his jacket does?

I'm thinking maybe emergency force field of some kind, like a shield and/or virtual space suit?

I guess it could be some kind of escape DFA or temporal escape device.

Not to be nit-picky, but if that shuttle is inflating from the rim of the space station wheel that is spinning to induce a simulacrum of gravity, then Schlock wouldn't be floating through the port.

He'd be chucked head first into the nose of the shuttle at a fair rate of knots.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:55 pm 
I was wondering about the Emergency Button, too. I could be wrong, but I think there's a reasonable chance that it could activate a localized EMP

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:13 am 
Could be.
Might also be an emergency dfa disable, if it starts to target his shuttle. Or a station self destruct he can use to threaten the others and bargain a getaway.

kansaichris wrote:
I was wondering about the Emergency Button, too. I could be wrong, but I think there's a reasonable chance that it could activate a localized EMP

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:38 pm 
kansaichris wrote:

I think that's a reasonable guess, but I'm leaning more toward a personal escape DFA.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:43 am 
I just hope they get to hang out long enough for Riff to give Schlock a real knowledge smackdown (and also a real, actual smackdown). Schlock still has no clue Riff's got decades of future information about where all his plans are headed. Plus, there's the fact that they're both off-station with an AI deciding how to destroy the world gives them a problem to deal with even if Schlock sees the light and tries to fix things.

Thom Solo wrote:
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
Either that or Rana really is socked away in there somewhere, and Montgomery simply needed to hook up external power to the life support first. Yes I'm not letting that spec go :P

What, Rana's imprisoned in the OASIS satellite? Does that mean Dunaloa is imprisoned in Kusari's satellite, in your theorizing? ;)

Maaaaaaybe! :P Honestly, the Sashas' lack of tinkering ability suggests otherwise. I'm sure Dunaloa is involved somehow though, since I couldn't imagine anyone else who'd have the technical skills to build something like them back in the 80s. And we know she's around, since she built that stick boy centuries ago. There's no way a goddess obsessed with creating life gets that close and then retires.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:41 am 
(For those who don't remember the story of the moon twin and Mr. Stiks, here's a handy ref.)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:38 am 
randomlanguage wrote:
kansaichris wrote:

I think that's a reasonable guess, but I'm leaning more toward a personal escape DFA.

I'm leaning towards inflatable space suit or survival pod/bag.
There doesn't seem to be any other pressure suit in the shuttle.
He could deploy it and evacuate the air from the shuttle to suffocate Riff.
Though Riff has just popped the control console. Maybe on purpose?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:24 am 
I'm wondering if Dr M's comment (Panel 6), regarding the likely outcome of Oasis being disconnected for an hour or so potentially hints that if it's any longer the clone/satellite link will be permanently severed and there's a chance the clone might assume independent function?

Or that when it comes on line again it might be out of phase with the current clone and decant a new one down on earth?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:21 pm 
erewhon wrote:
Or that when it comes on line again it might be out of phase with the current clone and decant a new one down on earth?

So Kusari murders the clone on the station, then brings the OASIS satellite online so she can transfer her program into it... but once brought online, the satellite decants an Oasis on Earth.

Hmmm. Wasn't the satellite still operational after Oasis became self-aware on the shuttle? So if it had that mental state on file at the time it went offline, then would it restore a new Oasis clone with that self-awareness?

Should I put this post in the WOHPOAH thread? :)

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:21 pm 
Well, we still don't know precisely the relationship between the satellite and the clones, or how much sentience resides in which location.

Thom Solo wrote:
erewhon wrote:

So Kusari murders the clone on the station, then brings the OASIS satellite online so she can transfer her program into it... but once brought online, the satellite decants an Oasis on Earth.

Hmmm. Wasn't the satellite still operational after Oasis became self-aware on the shuttle? So if it had that mental state on file at the time it went offline, then would it restore a new Oasis clone with that self-awareness?

Should I put this post in the WOHPOAH thread? :)

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:26 am 
OK.
Did NOT expect that one.
Mutagenic brain-fried Baiyu and Shankraft trying to defuse AI hell-bent on wiping out North America.
What could possibly go wrong?

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat