Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:43 pm 
erewhon wrote:
It's also now possible that the human avatar of Oasis is now a whole person, distinct from the Satellite O.A.S.I.S.

The 'know yourself' may have been a trigger for self actualisation.

Yeah this is along the lines of how I am thinking of whats happening. If Oasis has really become self aware and along with the removal of protocols then the Kusashas don't have a chance here.

So Oasis will take them out and then a really heavy reunion of sorts is about to take place with Oasis and Torg. This will be when Zoe and Gwynn show up and then Schlock will set a failsafe in motion. I suspect the failsafe will involve the Oasis Satellite and the self destruct of the satellite they are on. Schlock meanwhile is somewhere else.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:17 am 
erewhon wrote:
It's also now possible that the human avatar of Oasis is now a whole person, distinct from the Satellite O.A.S.I.S.

The 'know yourself' may have been a trigger for self actualisation.

It's extremely unlikely, but I'm thinking the opposite. That, due to knowing itself, this has unlocked the satellite's ability to use an unlimited number of avatars now.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:38 am 
I'm not so sure about that one either but I think it's more likely. The idea that she had to see the satellite to know herself but then in knowing herself she becomes not the satellite doesn't make much sense to me. Besides, whatever brain that body may have separate from the satellite, it's not Oasis. If she were "free" from the satellite it would be tabula rasa. She wouldn't remember Torg or anything. She'd be the mental equivalent of an infant. Unless quantum entanglement or whatever downloads the satellite brain into the body, I guess.

I suppose it's plausible, but I don't see why being separate from the satellite is self-actualization for Oasis. She is the satellite as much or more than she is the human body. At best the bodies are like an appendage that grows back for her. Would a lizard be self-actualized if a tail you cut off becomes a separate entity? It may indeed be a sad state of affairs for the clones of Sinthea Lamort. You could probably say that they are neither free nor self-actualized. But those clones are not Oasis. They're just hijacked by her.

Also, lest you object that Oasis identifies more with her human body, because she was in the dark for so long about her true self, I'm not entirely convinced that's true. That hypothesis would make some sense but it doesn't seem to be reflected in her reaction to seeing the satellite. There was no doubt, confusion, or denial in her reaction. It wasn't "that's me?" or "how can that be me?" or "that can't be me," etc. It was an emphatic "that's me!" Sure, there was a brief pause for the moment of revelation, but still too quick and emphatic to suggest doubt to me. I think she self-identifies with the satellite. That's not to say she doesn't also identify with the human body. And why shouldn't she? It's effectively part of her. But I doubt that separating from the satellite would be self-actualizing for her.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:30 am 
That's gotta sting!

Down to three Kusaris left. (One soldier, the one still fighting and the one on the station)

Let us not forget that the Mater shuttle has EVA suits and at least one 'PIK Rifle'

Not to mention, Schlocks station no doubt has defensive weaponry

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:55 am 
Ohhh, I sort of assumed erewhon was implying Oasis would realize she's the god trapped inside the satellite, since I'm pretty married to that spec :P

At this rate, getting out of this without it all going to hell seems to be the most pressing issue, rather than further big revelations. So I doubt we'll find out either way. And to think, this is all because Riff couldn't stop himself from finishing Schlock's sentences. How are THEY not married?

Anyway, lets say for sake of argument we're still on the Rainy path. That means everyone (definitionally speaking) on that ship is going to survive. But what of the OASIS satellite? Less optimistic about that one. Habinger had no personality in the DoR, so that's not promising. The Mater is docked with it, and is probably doing a once-over on the surface tech as we speak. If there's a way to stop it communicating with its avatars, they'll find it. Schlock will then have plenty of time to reign in the AI back in line with his Project Harbinger goals. So this still seems to be heading toward the bad end, despite Torg getting Chaz back.

The tough part is, even if the gang somehow wrangled control of and protected the OASIS satellite from harm, Schlock still has a small army of orbital DFAs at his disposal. Global catastrophe is imminent either way. I don't think this is a battle where retreat is strategically sound. Which is to say, that rescue ship better not just take them and leave

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:06 am 
Let's not forget that there's a key difference between the Prime dimension and the DoR: Riff, Zoe, Gwynn, Bun-Bun, and Kiki are coming to the confrontation with Schlock. If it was just Torg, I can easily see Schlock winning, but the whole Riff reveal panicked him and now the Kusaris are dropping.

I really don't see Schlock getting out of this one. At best, he's defeated and the gang goes home, hoping that Crushestro et al don't kick off another R&D war in the meanwhile. At worst, they all end up dead or in Timeless Space.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:34 pm 
The Malkavian wrote:
I really don't see Schlock getting out of this one. At best, he's defeated and the gang goes home, hoping that Crushestro et al don't kick off another R&D war in the meanwhile. At worst, they all end up dead or in Timeless Space.

Oh god, I'd love to see Torg, Riff, Zoe, Gwynn, Oasis and Kusashi (and Irving?) all in timeless space. And Bun-Bun, for his third trip :D

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:57 am 
The Malkavian wrote:
Let's not forget that there's a key difference between the Prime dimension and the DoR: Riff, Zoe, Gwynn, Bun-Bun, and Kiki are coming to the confrontation with Schlock. If it was just Torg, I can easily see Schlock winning, but the whole Riff reveal panicked him and now the Kusaris are dropping.

Defeated? At this point, he pretty much HAS to die. Same with some or all of the other hC higher-ups. Schlock's simply too unpredictable to let live. So long as he's alive, 4U is always a possibility. Sending him to timeless space or even another dimension wouldn't work, either, he'd be smart enough to find a way back.

And the others are in the same boat. They all know how to build functioning dfa tech, and some of them might actually be worse despots than Schlock.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:28 am 
Note: The artificial intelligence on board the Oasis satellite probably self-identifies as female so I will refer to the satellite as "she".

The Oasis satellite must have some ability to manoeuvre to avoid collisions as she is usually cloaked. She therefore will try to resist Hereti-corp's efforts to tow her. The problem is, this is likely a struggle that she cannot win. Hereti-corp likely have disabled her manoeuvring thrusters, or will soon.

The satellite will wind up, for plot reasons, towed into the lab despite her best efforts to resist. If there are other Oasis satellites, any efforts by them to target the Hereti-corp ships or space station will fail, again for plot reasons.

It is certain that the satellite's on-board AI will try to fight Hereti-corp every step of the way. The equivalent satellite in 4u city likely had no choice but to obey orders; Oasis will no longer do so, not even to orders sent to her by the watch. How quickly Hereti-corp can defeat her defences depends on how much they know about her construction but they will eventually succeed if not stopped by the gang.

One possibility is that the organic portion of Oasis will be disconnected very late on, just before the final confrontation. There still should be some rudimentary brain function regardless. It is unlikely that the organic portion will be able to act independently, she probably would not even be awake. The question is if she will respond in any way to external stimuli. It could just be that the body will appear inert, but will become active in a vestigial version of "Override B-1", after the correct stimulus is provided, before becoming inert again.

In any case, I think the story is going into a very dark direction. The Hereti-corp engineers will be hacking into Oasis's mind and reshaping her (satellite) body, in spite of what her wishes might be, and certainly without her consent. Oasis is a person and the fact that she was constructed is irrelevant. This is the stuff of nightmares. I can only hope Pete doesn't make it anywhere as dark as it potentially could be.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:59 pm 
Wouldn't her carotid blow the other way? (i.e . The stream would flow past her head, not feet.)

I hope Daiyu doesn't grab Chaz, I think she's pretty handy with weapons

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:17 am 
I suspect Oasis is joking.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:47 am 
Lord Golbez wrote:

Agreed.
She's acting much cooler and more coherent (and less giddy/stabby) than in the past.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:14 am 
erewhon wrote:
Lord Golbez wrote:

Agreed.
She's acting much cooler and more coherent (and less giddy/stabby) than in the past.

I agree as well, for the same reasons.
Now Riff will take the controls, and on to the satellite! Torg may be all about saving the world, but Riff has actually seen the post-apocalypse, and he's got some fish to fry.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:19 am 
Since the 'Puppet had become the puppeteer', when the connection between the organic interface and the satellite actually DOES get severed , it is the satellite that goes inert , and Oasis lives on (abet this time, mortal)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:30 pm 
randomlanguage wrote:
Now Riff will take the controls, and on to the satellite! Torg may be all about saving the world, but Riff has actually seen the post-apocalypse, and he's got some fish to fry.

Hmm, good point. I don't think Oasis will take kindly to realizing Riff might be in the mood to terminate her orbital brain for the greater good. She needs that to live!

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat