Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:21 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
Points for predicting that it spins! I'm happy to hand-wave the fact that technically it would only work at that scale by spinning so fast, looking out the window'd make you sea sick (the earth would fly by the windows about once every 30 seconds. Wee!)

Could we be seeing the beginnings of the space station from the Aylee dimension here? I recall Schlock had something to do with that. Both are inflatable tech, which is his deal. I do find it interesting that the difference between hero and villain Schlock is whether he's thwarted by an alien invasion.

I'll take points wherever I can get 'em. :-)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:10 pm 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
Points for predicting that it spins! I'm happy to hand-wave the fact that technically it would only work at that scale by spinning so fast, looking out the window'd make you sea sick (the earth would fly by the windows about once every 30 seconds. Wee!)

Yeah, it's hard to estimate scale accurately, but based on the size of the suited figures, I'm guessing maybe 50m in diameter for the ring sections?

You probably wouldn't spin it up to a full 1g, just to keep the structural stresses down (not to mention coriolis effects!), you only really need enough to hold things in place and mitigate the long term physiological effects of weightlessness a bit.

So to get 0.5g with a radius of 25m you'd be turning at a bit over 4 rpm with a tangential angular velocity of about 11m/sec.

So yeah...Earth would whizz by every 15 seconds or so (depending on the orientation of the axis)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:25 pm 
Yeah I was being extremely generous and assuming a 100 meter radius. But either way, you're basically on a tilt-a-whirl!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:30 pm 
Why even 0.5g? Shouldn't lunar gravity simulation be sufficient?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:31 am 
For some reason, I think that Torg will be more torn up that Oasis either does not remember him, no longer loves him or both than he would have initially expected.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:55 am 
slightlylooney wrote:
For some reason, I think that Torg will be more torn up that Oasis either does not remember him, no longer loves him or both than he would have initially expected.

I'd agree. Despite being very detrimental for those around him, that "love" has been part of his life for a long time.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:12 pm 
randomlanguage wrote:
slightlylooney wrote:

I'd agree. Despite being very detrimental for those around him, that "love" has been part of his life for a long time.

The look on his face is indeed 'wounded' rather than 'confusion'.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:16 pm 
Lord Golbez wrote:
Why even 0.5g? Shouldn't lunar gravity simulation be sufficient?

Oh sure, that was just an example. Depends how long they intend to stay there I guess. A little more makes transition back earthside a little more comfortable after an extended stay. :-)

Lunar Gravity is about 1/6g so that would give just over 2 rpm, or a tangential velocity of about 6.5 m/s

So, with a 50m diameter we would be back to 30 second rotations (ish)

However, even at that low a gravity, with a relatively small diameter you are turning fast enough to have a moderate head to toe gravity gradient, so that could cause a fair bit of discomfort.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:38 pm 
In other words, you'd literally feel lightheaded

I wonder how long it takes to reach the station? If there's no further incidents, I guess we'll be following the earth-bound characters for a couple updates. And then the big one: Schlock plans to actually talk to them.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:15 pm 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
In other words, you'd literally feel lightheaded

Not to mention about 0.5 m second difference in tangential velocity between feet and head.
Tides in the body!

If you're interested in this stuff, you can have a play here.

Looks like about a 300m diameter and 0.5g would be a good sweet spot for comfort.
Quote:

I wonder how long it takes to reach the station? If there's no further incidents, I guess we'll be following the earth-bound characters for a couple updates. And then the big one: Schlock plans to actually talk to them.

It's not entirely clear to me that Schlock knows Riff is a captive as well as Torg. Sniper Sasha & Kusari made that decision while incommunicado and I haven't seen any explicit references that would suggest they updated Schlock.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:34 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
erewhon wrote:
It's not entirely clear to me that Schlock knows Riff is a captive as well as Torg.
Schlock does know about Torg. He is the one who told them to bring Torg. It is still unclear if he knows about Riff. It would be odd if he didn't though.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:13 pm 
Zillatain wrote:
erewhon wrote:
It's not entirely clear to me that Schlock knows Riff is a captive as well as Torg.
Schlock does know about Torg. He is the one who told them to bring Torg. It is still unclear if he knows about Riff. It would be odd if he didn't though.

Yeah, I was commenting in reference to Riff, I was aware Schlock requested Kusari to bring Torg. I phrased that a bit poorly.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:22 pm 
I think that the "potentials" are being assembled now. That is, the people who are supposed to defeat "The Destroyer".

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:44 pm 
slightlylooney wrote:
I think that the "potentials" are being assembled now. That is, the people who are supposed to defeat "The Destroyer".

They've been "assembled" since 1997. "Potentials" refers to the main characters— :gwynn: :riff: :torg: :zoe: —and Elder Soco from Mohkadun.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:26 pm 
Who do you think Zoe is calling about the "Stupid Plan" as Gwynn calls it? Who is even left?

http://sluggy.com/#2017-11-27

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat