Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:09 pm 
Location: I never wanted to be here! I wanted to be ....... A LUMBERJACK!!
Quick question, if I were to transcribe today's comic (Codename: Pete's Redhead Deception) would things like Boobs!, Sweater Cows, Mandy's Monkeys, Boobies, Yay boobs, ect. be considered relevant?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:15 pm 
Well speak of the Devil! Guess which comic just popped up to be transcribed.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:10 am 
sure, why not. Fill up the transcript with as many breast euphemisms as possible, they may come in handy.

MrJest wrote:
Mr. "Perhaps I can suggest an edit on the response for the few blank dates in the comic - maybe a "refresh" button on the transcription page? I just got presented that week in 2001 when there was no Sluggy, and no 'easy' way to go to another 'valid' strip... Yes, I AM too lazy to hit the back button twice! :bert: " Jest
You always have the longest nicknames.

But your browser's refresh button should work...

Last edited by DaveRhodes on Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:15 am 
Oh my but this will fun.

Edit: http://www.starma.com/penis/cousinmammy ... mammy.html
I [heart] the Internet. There wouldn't happen to be a character limit, would there?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:03 am 
there is a character limit, but I don't think it's anything even posting all of that would hit.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:10 am 
It didn't.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:45 pm 
[size=0](bump)[/size]
Sizable algorithm revision on the search, guys! Now you can finally put quotes in quotes and search for them rather than just having the quotation marks ignored like it used to do :torg:

Also I made it prefer to find terms as a full word by themselves over finding them as parts of larger words.

I'm still not completely happy with the algorithm, but hopefully this'll make the search more useful.
Also, still looking for a maverick graphic designer to help make the site look less ugly! I'm not gonna call this thing "niftySearch" until it looks better!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:19 am 
Um. That incident where everything I typed just disappeared? Rest assured it was not your program. I just did it again, but fortunately at the beginning. I accidentally hit Control-U instead of Option-U when trying to type the umlaut in Zoë. (Macintosh keyboard).

So it was me. :torg:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:27 am 
AOL: n64monx
Wow, this is amazing! Thanks so much for doing this!

I do a bit of graphic design, but I'm still an amateur by most standards. If I have time I may sketch up a few ideas, but I can't make any promises yet.

This is great, I just have a few points:
*Should it offer a way to choose your comic? This'll prove more useful to the end of the project when most are filled. Also, some people (like myself) who haven't read the archives in a while might enjoy transcribing part of a story arc.
*This is more of a continuation of the above point, but I wanted to point out that I've gotten a comic that had already been transcribed, is this intentional? I notice there's a "double check" feature.
*Should we try to standardize the formatting? I realize it's not a huge issue as a search engine will handle it just fine, but this is the kind of thing you want to handle at the beginning of a project.

Again, this is an awesome tool, I appreciate it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:36 am 
mutecebu wrote:
*Should it offer a way to choose your comic? This'll prove more useful to the end of the project when most are filled. Also, some people (like myself) who haven't read the archives in a while might enjoy transcribing part of a story arc.
*This is more of a continuation of the above point, but I wanted to point out that I've gotten a comic that had already been transcribed, is this intentional? I notice there's a "double check" feature.
*Should we try to standardize the formatting? I realize it's not a huge issue as a search engine will handle it just fine, but this is the kind of thing you want to handle at the beginning of a project.

1. I did think about that, but I concluded that if we were all able to choose our favorites, the few obscure ones that nobody remembers (and thus the ones we might want to search for most) would get put off until last. Also, I kind of like being randomy shown Sluggy strips. I've transcribed a few odd strips I didn't remember at all, and may have skimmed/skipped on my introductory archive run. It's an enriching experience! :sasha:

2. Yeah, the transcriber picks a random date, regardless of whether or not it's already been transcribed. When we get over 25% transcribed, I'll probably make it check to make sure there's no transcription yet, but at this point, it's still pretty likely it'll pick an empty one. :riff:

3.Good point. I'd say "use OhNoRobot's standard," but then I looked that up and realized I haven't been following it myself pretty blatantly. But still, if you're looking for a standard to follow, ONR's is tried and true, so go for that one. :zoe:
Quote:
I do a bit of graphic design, but I'm still an amateur by most standards. If I have time I may sketch up a few ideas, but I can't make any promises yet.
any help at all would be awesome :torg:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:51 pm 
Hey Dave, what exactly does the "Flag" link do -- or what is it supposed to do?

I just transcribed a comic that included a reference that went over my head (two real-life photos). I tried to check SRC, to see if I could figure out who is actually in the photos, but it doesn't go back far enough in time [Jan 5, 2002]. So after I clicked <submit>, I went to the search engine and searched for a couple of key words, and then I clicked on <Flag> next to the comic that I had just transcribed. I was then redirected to another website entitled:

Hosting Blog v2.03
The world-wide-web explained

So I have no idea whether I actually 'flagged' anything...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:59 am 
the flag thing makes it appear first in the double-checker, so if it's wrong, it can be quickly fixed. The fact that you got redirected to that stupid hosting blog that keeps trying to steal my DNS entry or whatever it's doing to interdict my traffic (probably not intentionally) would probably mean to me that you didn't flag it...
except that the double-checker seems to return the strip you described now.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:32 pm 
Nifty, Dave! Worked perfectly -- despite the odd hijacking -- and allowed me to transcribe the comic properly, even though the joke initially went over my head.

Well, I am kinda short... :sam:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:21 pm 
WLM: [email protected] (va
Yahoo Messenger: psychicjack
AOL: PsychicJackAmra
All right! we are officially at 20%!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:40 pm 
slowly but surely. Keep up the good work, guys!

I've been thinking about ways I can improve the search algorithm and the way the database works, but I haven't actually worked on anything for a while. I'm also wondering if I should get this a real domain/host instead of Mr. "Ad Central" Php0h.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat