Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:34 pm 
Location: I never wanted to be here! I wanted to be ....... A LUMBERJACK!!
I'm glad you approve.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:46 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: PlatonicBathos
Me too :)

(But I'm a "she")

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:19 am 
SaveTheGreyhounds wrote:
(But I'm a "she")
I promise I meant to type "this" [size=0](hopefully that's what you were referring to...)[/size]

and the search is up!
It looks like crap!
I promise I'll fix it. Expect major visual tweaks and minor algorithm tweaks over the next ... while... until I get it right!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:08 am 
Haha! Sluggy uglySearch! I like it. I vote to keep it that way. :torg:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:14 am 
This is very cool, good job.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:24 pm 
New glitch since you added the search engine: This happened yesterday, too, so apparently it's not a one time glitch... ...though it's odd that no one else mentioned it...

After transcribing, I hit "submit". I get a warning that says "Confirm. The page you are trying to view contains POSTDATA. If you resend the data, any action the form carried out (such as a search, or online purchase) will be repeated. To resend the data, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel."

If I click "OK", I just get the warning again. If I then click "Cancel" it brings me back to the comic I just transcribed -- without the transcription box. If I do a search, the search engine does return the comic (with transcription) -- so the transcription is getting accepted, but it is nonetheless disconcerting.

If it matters: Firefox 2.0.0.12; Mac OS 10.4.11

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:40 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Same thing happens with Firefox under Fedora 7 Linux.

--tll

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:59 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: PlatonicBathos
Is there anyway the search results can be formatted to match how they were typed in? Currently, all results come up as one big block paragraph, which makes it a bit harder to read -- especially considering most seem to be typed in script format in the first palce.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:20 pm 
SaveTheGreyhounds wrote:
Is there anyway the search results can be formatted to match how they were typed in? Currently, all results come up as one big block paragraph, which makes it a bit harder to read -- especially considering most seem to be typed in script format in the first palce.
if you "View Source," you'll see they ARE formatted as they were typed, linebreaks and all. But browsers ignore linebreaks in HTML. It'd be a simple fix; it'd only take me one line of code... but then the search results would stretch for miles, which is why I haven't done it. My plan for the search results is that they'd eventually show like the first 10 words of the transcript, and then you'd click on it and it'd expand to show the whole thing, properly formatted and everything. Problem is, I'm not entirely sure how to pull that off yet.

In the mean time, if you guys don't mind scrolling like crazy, I could reduce the amount displayed per page and have it display properly...

EDIT: Firefox issue should be fixed now. If you want an explanation as to why it happened, read the tiny text below.

[size=0]As for the Firefox issue, I was able to duplicate it. Originally, when it was just the turk, the submitter would javascript redirect to the index, which was, of course, the page you were already on. Now, because it doesn't know which page you're on (the submitter and the checker both use the same text box page) it just refreshes the page. In IE 6 and Opera, the desired behavior happens... the index page refreshes with a new date, and the frames load accordingly. In Firefox and Safari, they don't reload the index page, they reload the two frames. In Firefox, it resubmits the text box, so you're stuck in an infinite "Thanks!" loop until you don't submit the text box, which means Firefox just doesn't reload the frame.
In Safari, it does the same exact thing, except it doesn't resubmit the text box, getting you stuck in an endless "You didn't type anything!" loop.
I'll look into getting Firefox and Safari to behave. In the mean time, they do actually submit properly, it's only about what happens after. The fact that Safari's broken probably also means Konqueror is, so if you want the website to work the way it's supposed to the whole way through, use Opera or IE until I can fix it. But I wrote this before it was fixed. It's fixed now. No problem here.[/size]

Last edited by DaveRhodes on Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:39 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Speaking of formatting, I've tried to indicate the type of type (*wince*) Pete used. I.e., _underscores_ to indicate italics and *asterisks* to indicate boldface. But Pete likes to pull all kinds of tricks with his orthography to indicate the speaker's emotional state. My question is, do we need or even want this? I could use a descriptor, something like "Horribus: [sotto voce] Fools can't see that Torg is behind this all!". But that would make things even wordier, and might screw up the search. So. Any opinions?

EDIT: @DaveRhodes: Err, what tiny text?

--tll

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:55 am 
I've been using caps to indicate bold/italic/underscore when it seemed to matter, and ignored b/i/u when it didn't seem to matter...
but in the end, does tone of voice really matter if the main goal of the transcript is a search result? I guess not. Still, transcribe in whatever manner you see fit.

TLL: The REALLY tiny text. The text so small you probably have to hit "Quote" on my post to see. (unless you use Opera)

EDIT: New look on the search page! Meet Sluggy scrollySearch! Each transcription is in its own iframe, properly formatted and all. Almost called Sluggy addySearch, since my host shoves an ad into every freakin' frame. Anyone have any webspace they'd be willing to lend me? :torg:

Thanks to the ads, the layout doesn't work perfectly in every browser. From what I can tell, it works well in Opera and Firefox, okay in IE 6, and doesn't work at all in Safari, sorry. It's a minor step in the road towards the eventual Sluggy hideySearch, where most of the transcript is hidden until you click on it. That'll be neat. Hope I figure out how to make it work soon.

For those of you who miss uglySearch, it's still there! Just add "ugly" to the word "search" in the URL, or follow this link.

THE ONLY EDIT THAT MATTERS ANYMORE:
*bump*
scrollySearch sucks and I hate it.

So... introducing hideySearch! I love it so much, the main page calls it "Sluggy Search" all official-like! I finally figured out to use <span> tags and javascript so now when you search, you get the first line of the transcript only.... until you click on it, revealing the whole thing! Isn't that nifty? I think it is. Only a few minor visual tweaks left until I'm really happy with this thing.
Algorithm tweaks still forthcoming.

Also, now if you're searching along and find a transcript with errors in it, you can flag it for editing, and it'll appear next time someone uses the double-checker.

As with uglySearch, scrollySearch didn't completely go away, in case someone somewhere liked it (I can't imagine why). Just add "scrolly" before "search" in the URL, or click that link I made there.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:10 pm 
Um. That was weird. I was in the middle of transcribing a comic (fortunately a very short one) and the page just glitched. The transcription box disappeared (along with all of the words), although the scroll bar remained. If I tried to type anything FF assumed I was trying to do a search and the typing went into the FF search box. After messing with it for a few seconds, I just hit reload, which of course gave me another comic. I transcribed that one just fine, so it was not a repeatable glitch. I don't think it was the software -- my laptop occasionally 'wigs out' in subtle ways, and maybe this time it wasn't quite so subtle -- but I thought I'd relate my experience, just in case someone else experiences it. [And to bump the thread back up, since the Mods won't sticky it (hint, hint)]

Also, I then went to Sluggy Search to see if the half-transcription survived. It didn't -- but I thought I'd mention a needed cosmetic fix: My initial search returned two sets of '<arrow> back <arrow>' and nothing in between. It would be nice if a null result was actually reported, like "Zero instances found" or something like that.

Not to be all negative -- this is a great project!

Firefox 2.0.0.12; Mac OS 10.4.11; MacBook

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:07 pm 
swmartian wrote:
a needed cosmetic fix: My initial search returned two sets of '<arrow> back <arrow>' and nothing in between. It would be nice if a null result was actually reported, like "Zero instances found" or something like that.
Good point. I'll stick that in there right away. I'm pretty sure it'll be easy to do... not sure why I haven't done it yet.
EDIT: So it has been written, so it has been done.

As for your issue, if it is my page's fault, it's possible that the ad that gets served up with every page did something evil. I hate the ads, but unless I start shelling out actual money, they aren't going anywhere...

if anyone has webspace they'd like to lend me... all I need is PHP and a MySQL database...

I have this exact same site mirrored for development purposes on a tiny webserver box at home, and let me tell ya, it runs so much better without ads (especially scrollySearch), but there's no way my ISP would be able to handle my actually hosting this thing myself.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:05 pm 
Firefox + Adblock: Priceless

So I don't notice the ads -- it works great for me! Most of the time...

...it's possible that I accidentally hit some weird key combo, or like I said, maybe my laptop just spazzed. Weirdness -- hopefully that won't happen again -- fortunately it was one of his less wordy & short comics.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:04 pm 
Adding a "new posting" to keep this thread alive - because, given the new dive into The Storylines, this "research tool" can be very valuable - so, TRANSCRIBE, PEOPLE, TRANSCRIBE!!! We still have a lot of work to do... :riff:

Mr. "Perhaps I can suggest an edit on the response for the few blank dates in the comic - maybe a "refresh" button on the transcription page? I just got presented that week in 2001 when there was no Sluggy, and no 'easy' way to go to another 'valid' strip... Yes, I AM too lazy to hit the back button twice! :bert: " Jest

Last edited by MrJest on Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat