Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:48 pm 
Spirantz wrote:
... sluggyverse has other languages. Pete just translates the sluggyverse for us.

Yes and no. Most of the time characters in the sluggyverse speak English - and understand each other. Occasionally Pete uses other languages, which he sometimes translates (and sometimes are translated by other sluggites). When he translates, he makes it clear that he is doing so, usually by the use of ‹› bracketing the translated statement, followed by an asterisk (*) and a footnote saying that it was translated from whichever appropriate language.

This (indigenous?) guy is clearly speaking English. What that means in terms of where (or when) the sluggy gang went is yet to be revealed...

P.S. As for my comment on the strip... I just love that Pete's brain is simply incapable of creating "simpler". We know that whatever 'ride' Pete takes us on, it will be creatively entertaining.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:59 pm 
Spirantz wrote:
Silverwalker wrote:
Oh, so it wasn't the whole world spoke that language, it was just the people on that island. I thought the grammar seemed primitive. The rest of the world speaks the Queen's English. I dare say no one expected this. We are so used to everyone on a planet speaking the same language, as it is the most practical for a story.

The 'Queen's English' doesn't exist..

I don't know what planet you're from, but both my world, as well as the sluggyverse has other languages. Pete just translates the sluggyverse for us.

Hiding behind a link is always cowardly. And it doesn't even contradict what I was saying, so it was pointless. The expression the king's English or the queen's English means the standard English. The link just says this particular queen's pronunciation has changed over time. Next time, try to write an actual argument instead of using the debate trick Appeal to Authority.

"I don't know what planet you're from, but both my world"

Also ridiculous. Yes, there are different languages on Earth. What a revelation you made. The fact remains that in science fiction different worlds generally have only one language, as it is, as I said, more convenient for the writers. Often they even all speak the same language, as in for example Stargate. I don't know why you are trying to argue, but try better next time.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:40 am 
Well, that's a relief. For a second I was worried the DFA was functioning as intended.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:34 am 
Silverwalker wrote:
Hiding behind a link is always cowardly. And it doesn't even contradict what I was saying, so it was pointless. The expression the king's English or the queen's English means the standard English. The link just says this particular queen's pronunciation has changed over time. Next time, try to write an actual argument instead of using the debate trick Appeal to Authority.

Why are you always so hostile to everyone you respond to on here? Call your dogs off.

p.s., This was not an appeal to authority, as I did not use anyone's name in place of evidence to my claim. I just provided a fun link that provided the full rationale to my claim.

From your own words, you're using "The King or Queen's English" as the defacto version of English. Then proceeded to point out the argument of the paper, stating that the Queen's English has changed over time. Thus, if the Queen herself --assuming she represents the standard-- doesn't speak a consistent version of English, how can a standard exist? There are thousands of different english dialects with natively-born English speakers, all speaking English. Language is fluid over time and any attempts to identify such a broad 'standard' that reigns over all others is a futile western practice of narcisism.

I applaude your efforts for trying to read it. Knowledge is fun! I'm just disappointed that it was a mean-spirited read.

You're right though. My second part about the languages was just to stick it in your craw.
Silverwalker wrote:
We are so used to everyone on a planet speaking the same language, as it is the most practical for a story.

I mean, how can I NOT pick on this? You misinterpret everyone and jump all over them all the time. I know other people are labeling you as a troll on here and getting bothered. Perhaps it's time to take a chill pill.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:14 pm 
...wait, is this the thread to react to the linked comic, or to each other? Stay good, Sluggites! Stay good! :kiki:

Poor Shankraft, waking up with Gwynn's hand in his face! :(

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions