Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:00 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Monday will be a spooktacular day to go out and create some undead creatures to feast on the flesh of the living.

----
Vote for Spooky Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to scare everyday.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:03 am 
Oh snap!

Pete, please don't be evil and leave us hanging too long here, haha

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:15 am 
Damn! Out of plunger range!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:24 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
It's okay, Riff is going to narrowly make the elevator to safety by rolling down the hall riding a printer cart like a skateboard ....right?

right?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:36 am 
Would EMP reach Schlock's escape capsule?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:38 am 
Dodger77 wrote:

No, he's going to think fast and EMP the self-destruct button. He hopes. (Not spec. He just did it.)

And no, I doubt it would reach the escape pod. It's just a Happy-Box toy.

All that time, and Riff never told Schlock what he's going to be responsible for if he keeps going.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:04 am 
garyfritz wrote:
All that time, and Riff never told Schlock what he's going to be responsible for if he keeps going.

Do you really think Schlock would care about that?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:40 am 
Hell, telling him might have motivated Schlock even more. I just wanted him to know, really.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:28 am 
Durandal_1707 wrote:
garyfritz wrote:

Do you really think Schlock would care about that?

You think he wouldn't care about the end of the world forever? 4U schlock cared, after the fact.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:41 am 
After all my years of Sluggy reading I am still unclear on Schlock’s motives. He clearly thinks Riff and friends have been unfairly harassing him, and that he’s doing something good. I hope it’s made clear before the strip ends.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:52 am 
Schlock wrote:
my friend

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:54 am 
I no longer have any hope that Dr. Schlock will stay good. This is a sad Sluggyday.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:07 am 
Rreed423 wrote:
After all my years of Sluggy reading I am still unclear on Schlock’s motives. He clearly thinks Riff and friends have been unfairly harassing him, and that he’s doing something good. I hope it’s made clear before the strip ends.

I don't know that he thinks he's doing something "good." More like he thinks he was given no choice but to do what he's done for his own survival. That said, I've never really felt his sudden dramatic turn was adequately justified in the story. It felt like the story Pete wanted to tell demanded Schlock go there, but the story never really sold his turn in a convincing way.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:47 pm 
Bunny Suction wrote:
Rreed423 wrote:

I don't know that he thinks he's doing something "good." More like he thinks he was given no choice but to do what he's done for his own survival. That said, I've never really felt his sudden dramatic turn was adequately justified in the story. It felt like the story Pete wanted to tell demanded Schlock go there, but the story never really sold his turn in a convincing way.

I've never questioned Schlock's progression much. After becoming primary stakeholder of Hereti Corp, he could have (and safely did) hide away. Still terrified, but whatever. He could have stopped here. It DID seem to blow out of proportion after this though, yeah. Why?

My non-speccy analysis of Schlock would simply be this:

I think he got caught up in his cool idea of the Schlock triangle and got obsessed with its completion. Like all science geeks do. And hid behind his fear as a misguided propellant towards going bigger and better. Why do it? BECAUSE I CAN!

I personally don't read too much more into his progression other than this. Started through fear, then just got obsessed with his sciencey stuff while blaming others so he didn't have to ever consider the ethics or repercussions of his actions. Bye bye personal responsibility! "They made me do it!" "Ooooh cool! Look at what I was able to do! YESSS, I AM AWESOME!"

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:02 pm 
I'm glad it's Monday because that is a Friday-worthy cliffhanger!
But I predict we'll switch back to Torg and all that is going down there now, so it will be more than Friday-worthy.

Edit:
I'm not surprised that Schlock feels bad about what he's done to Riff. Schlock seems to be someone who regrets every action he is not in complete control of and blames everyone else for forcing him to do that action.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions