Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:40 pm 
Eagle299 wrote:
It just goes to show the kind of hero Riff is that he hasn't murdered Schlock already. I don't think many people would have a serious problem with putting that screw driver in the doc's jugular, all things considered.

Well, Riff usually does go for a murder first, before hearing long explanations. But I guess that's the case only for a non-human races.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:49 pm 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
Im with Riff. The only way to truly be sure a man is not a balloon is to stab him in the hand with a screwdriver

A wise proverb.
VcSaJen wrote:
Eagle299 wrote:
It just goes to show the kind of hero Riff is that he hasn't murdered Schlock already. I don't think many people would have a serious problem with putting that screw driver in the doc's jugular, all things considered.

Well, Riff usually does go for a murder first, before hearing long explanations. But I guess that's the case only for a non-human races.

It also shows that Riff is a scientist hero. He needs more information about the "hows" (not necessarily explanation about the "whys"), and Schlock can give it to him. Sam didn't have that.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:21 pm 
It seems like stabbing through a hand with a screwdriver would be hard, particularly when that hand is not held on a firm surface. Perhaps Riff has extra sharp screwdrivers.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:45 pm 
CheeseWhisper wrote:
Wasn't his eye taken out before he had the nanites (and hence before he could get a snapshot)?

I think you're right. Now that I check it, he looks fairly young when Bun-Bun took out his eye. He was middle-aged (bald) in the future when he sent Berk back and then sent himself back to the 70's, and he already had the eye-patch. So the Schlock that lost his eye must have been the young pre-send-back model.

He aged a lot between his groovy 70's self and '99 when he met Riff -- must have been all the free love and Bee Gees concerts. Or maybe just the fact that he was about 50 at the send-back event, and 75 when he met Riff? Nahhh

Quote:
Zoe's non-snapshot rebuild was complete, but I don't think Schlock would want that.

Maybe Zoe's rebuild was an "empty house" because she had actually *died* just before the rebuild? So there was nobody there to rebuild around? Not sure about that.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:13 pm 
As I recall, the explanation was "if the nanites don't have a snapshot, they'll just rebuild you according to your DNA" -- which apparently means you get a blank brain. Of course that doesn't explain why she couldn't learn anything after that, but hey, this is sci-fantasy.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:18 am 
I have an idea about why she couldn't learn, but it's speculative.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:07 pm 
randomlanguage wrote:
Riff can say so much in so few words. "I beg to differ" carries a lot of weight and history. His expressions, when he has them, say so much, especially in the last panel.

This is truth. Look at both panels with that line in this strip. Panel 4 with that little smirk on Riff's face is smug amusement (deservedly so) but that last panel is cold rage.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:09 pm 
CheeseWhisper wrote:
As I recall, the explanation was "if the nanites don't have a snapshot, they'll just rebuild you according to your DNA" -- which apparently means you get a blank brain. Of course that doesn't explain why she couldn't learn anything after that, but hey, this is sci-fantasy.

Adult mind can't recover from that by itself, no matter how many times you try to teach it things. This is not simple amnesia, this is total mind-blank. People raised by animals will never be able talk normally and live in society, they are permanently are like that, and this is even more severe situation than that.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions