Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:46 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Maybe the story is not complete after all...

Friday has another part to add to the 5 Part Phone Story. Part 6 is maybe not as exciting or tragic as some of the previous ones, but it is still a continuation.

Part 6:
Spoiler: show
So, the human has had this (refurbished) phone for about six months now. It worked, but there was one slight problem with it from the very beginning. The USB-C cable would never really "click in". Over time it became worse. He even took it to Provider Z at some point, and they said it was dirt that got packed into the port. Which was true, and they cleaned it out with some picks. Unfortunately they were a bit too rough cleaning it out and it was more than just loosely going in, but it also moved around and would not make the best contact. Charging was not guaranteed unless he finagled the cable and saw that the charging symbol was appearing.

Fast forward to the current time. No matter what he did, it would not charge. Okay, maybe there is dirt in there again preventing that. Even I looked at and saw there was some in there. I located a piece of wire skinny enough to get in there and clean it out. Connected it, and moved it to stay at the right position so as to see the charge symbol. Came back 10 minutes later to see that it had gone DOWN a percentage point and the charge symbol was still being shown.

Round one: He took it to Provider Z. They plugged it in, said it was charging. They say that the cable must be bad. Had him buy an new cable. Leaves the store, plugged it in, "charge symbol" comes up, half an hour goes by, battery drops two percentage points.

Round two: You have probably figured out by now, this human is not very technical when it comes to phones (and possibly from reading the previous chapters). So he takes it to someone who should be technical, which is Provider Z yet again. The "technical" person (and who is also the manger at this location) said, "No. It's working right. It's just in an "intermediary" charge at this time. When he told me that, I was, "What?" So she is basically saying that the phone will not charge for minutes --or in this case, more than ten minutes-- at a time while it is charging... The phone was at 22%. Absolutely no reason it should not be charging.

Round three: Goes back to Provider Z. It. Is. Not. Charging. Okay, fine she says. But she can't handle it directly, they have to get a hold of the company that handled the insurance on the phone an the replacement of his current phone. They call them and they say there is one last ting to try see if that fixes it. Now either he can do this at home ith them talking him through the steps or the Provider Z tech can do it. He needs his phone to work, so he wants her to do. She clearly does not want to be bothered with this, but she did do it while sighing the whole time.

As expected it did not do anything to fix the problem. Unfortunately nobody told the human what this "fix's" other properties were. Everything was erased on the phone since it was a Factory Reset. He would of not agreed to have that done right at that moment if he knew that was going to occur. He lost some important things related to his work that were not backed up.

Anyway, since that did not work, he got a hold to the phone insurance company and they said they would get a new phone to him in about 24 hours. Just needed to send the other one back...oh, and give them a credit card number. Because if they test the phone and see there is no problems, then they will charge him 300 units of a particular Earth currency for the replacement. Interestingly the next day after receiving the phone, before sending the old one back, he plugged it in again and watched it...actually start charging! Crap, they may say that it's okay after all and charge his card. They still have not charged him, so it appears they agreed it was bad.

The upside of all of this, is that it seems that he received a new phone, not a refurbished one, and the cable most definitely "clicks in" now.

Now the wait for Chapter 7 begins...
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to vote everyday.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:03 am 
I don't know if Zoe is brilliant or if she's grasping at one last very dangerous straw.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:03 am 
I know that disabling the internet around here always produces all kinds of fun and interesting chaos.

I think the real question that needs to be asked though is: is Torg putting on his Emergency Space Pants?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:22 am 
uglyface2 wrote:
I don't know if Zoe is brilliant or if she's grasping at one last very dangerous straw.

I'm hoping for "brilliant." Go Zoe!

I love how Kiki thinks she just made her new friend happy. :kiki:

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:22 am 
wedge wrote:

Me too!
That's what Frog gets for being sarcastic.

Yay Zoe! (I hope). When you are a disaster, it can be difficult to think, and your brain is pointing forward--what can I do now, we might not think of what we did in the past in a different situation as applicable to the current situation.
And maybe....(spec)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:45 am 
balthazar wrote:
I think the real question that needs to be asked though is: is Torg putting on his Emergency Space Pants?

My thoughts exactly.

Also, reboot the computer? *Facepalm*
Why not just leave it off? Was this an option all along?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:07 am 
Holy poop! We've been in this "longest day" for almost FIFTEEN MONTHS !?

Dang. That is one busy day.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:41 am 
Spirantz wrote:
Also, reboot the computer? *Facepalm*
Why not just leave it off? Was this an option all along?

No, no. Not the computer - all they can do is reboot the router. That will not reboot (and potentially fix) the A.I. - all rebooting the router can do is delay the signal that the D.F.A. has been repaired, and give Torg time to destroy it. Or at least damage it enough to maybe give them time to figure out how to actually shut down, reboot, whatever the main computer and/or A.I.

randomlanguage wrote:
wedge wrote:

Me too!
That's what Frog gets for being sarcastic.

Awwww. You guys are mean. Poor Frog! :-(

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:10 pm 
uglyface2 wrote:

I've said it before, Zoe has a good track record of quick thinking of solutions to crisis situations. So even if she's grasping, I have hope that the straw will hold.

I do feel kinda bad for Frog.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:32 am 
I don't know why I read reboot the computer. I guess I stopped reading before the last word. Lol

Still. Turning it off, or smashing it would seem to make more sense. But whatever! I just want to smash computers these days...

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:47 pm 
Zillatain wrote:
Maybe the story is not complete after all...

Friday has another part to add to the 5 Part Phone Story. Part 6 is maybe not as exciting or tragic as some of the previous ones, but it is still a continuation.

Part 6:
Spoiler: show
So, the human has had this (refurbished) phone for about six months now. It worked, but there was one slight problem with it from the very beginning. The USB-C cable would never really "click in". Over time it became worse. He even took it to Provider Z at some point, and they said it was dirt that got packed into the port. Which was true, and they cleaned it out with some picks. Unfortunately they were a bit too rough cleaning it out and it was more than just loosely going in, but it also moved around and would not make the best contact. Charging was not guaranteed unless he finagled the cable and saw that the charging symbol was appearing.

Fast forward to the current time. No matter what he did, it would not charge. Okay, maybe there is dirt in there again preventing that. Even I looked at and saw there was some in there. I located a piece of wire skinny enough to get in there and clean it out. Connected it, and moved it to stay at the right position so as to see the charge symbol. Came back 10 minutes later to see that it had gone DOWN a percentage point and the charge symbol was still being shown.

Round one: He took it to Provider Z. They plugged it in, said it was charging. They say that the cable must be bad. Had him buy an new cable. Leaves the store, plugged it in, "charge symbol" comes up, half an hour goes by, battery drops two percentage points.

Round two: You have probably figured out by now, this human is not very technical when it comes to phones (and possibly from reading the previous chapters). So he takes it to someone who should be technical, which is Provider Z yet again. The "technical" person (and who is also the manger at this location) said, "No. It's working right. It's just in an "intermediary" charge at this time. When he told me that, I was, "What?" So she is basically saying that the phone will not charge for minutes --or in this case, more than ten minutes-- at a time while it is charging... The phone was at 22%. Absolutely no reason it should not be charging.

Round three: Goes back to Provider Z. It. Is. Not. Charging. Okay, fine she says. But she can't handle it directly, they have to get a hold of the company that handled the insurance on the phone an the replacement of his current phone. They call them and they say there is one last ting to try see if that fixes it. Now either he can do this at home ith them talking him through the steps or the Provider Z tech can do it. He needs his phone to work, so he wants her to do. She clearly does not want to be bothered with this, but she did do it while sighing the whole time.

As expected it did not do anything to fix the problem. Unfortunately nobody told the human what this "fix's" other properties were. Everything was erased on the phone since it was a Factory Reset. He would of not agreed to have that done right at that moment if he knew that was going to occur. He lost some important things related to his work that were not backed up.

Anyway, since that did not work, he got a hold to the phone insurance company and they said they would get a new phone to him in about 24 hours. Just needed to send the other one back...oh, and give them a credit card number. Because if they test the phone and see there is no problems, then they will charge him 300 units of a particular Earth currency for the replacement. Interestingly the next day after receiving the phone, before sending the old one back, he plugged it in again and watched it...actually start charging! Crap, they may say that it's okay after all and charge his card. They still have not charged him, so it appears they agreed it was bad.

The upside of all of this, is that it seems that he received a new phone, not a refurbished one, and the cable most definitely "clicks in" now.

Now the wait for Chapter 7 begins...
Part 1

More than the tragedy of the phone stories, which I fear, I admire your persistence in the journey of navigating the trials and tribulations of this technology!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:38 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
randomlanguage wrote:
More than the tragedy of the phone stories, which I fear, I admire your persistence in the journey of navigating the trials and tribulations of this technology!
I don't have problem with this technology. The only "problem" I have right now is that my phone's battery is failing. The battery percentage falls off a cliff if I use it for more than a few minutes at a time and it shuts down around 60% (or sooner). I really need to order a new battery and replace the thing, but I keep putting it off...

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:17 pm 
Savage Kiki lol

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions