Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:13 am 
My heart reaches out to bunbun today.

This is not easily done.

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:10 pm 
drachefly wrote:
Yeah, Bun-bun's ineffectuality in this strip is really odd. Ah well.

I've been thinking... The contrast between the two conflicts is confusing, given that they both occurred in the near zero-g environment of Earth's orbit. So maybe Bun-Bun isn't so "stupid" - nor so easily rendered 'helpless'. It's a way of losing face without losing face, if you know what I mean. He'll go along with the rescue and ultimate saving the Earth - but not before making it clear that he has a score to settle with Oasis and will not be satisfied until it is settled. He is neither stupid, nor ineffectual, merely temporarily and reluctantly compliant...

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:29 pm 
swmartian wrote:
drachefly wrote:
Yeah, Bun-bun's ineffectuality in this strip is really odd. Ah well.

I've been thinking... The contrast between the two conflicts is confusing, given that they both occurred in the near zero-g environment of Earth's orbit. So maybe Bun-Bun isn't so "stupid" - nor so easily rendered 'helpless'. It's a way of losing face without losing face, if you know what I mean. He'll go along with the rescue and ultimate saving the Earth - but not before making it clear that he has a score to settle with Oasis and will not be satisfied until it is settled. He is neither stupid, nor ineffectual, merely temporarily and reluctantly compliant...

I think that makes sense. I also think that the reactions of the crew was different. He had the upper hand there. Also, hC employees are not known for their resilience in the face of danger.

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:21 pm 
One of the things that keeps me reading the comic is that it’s psychologically aware, even if characters will do and say things that are absurd in context, out of context, against their inclinations, or what have you. So what the pirates are saying to each other is the crux of why things are going this way, I think: they are explicitly not being tagged in… at least for now.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions