Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:48 pm 
Sotanaht wrote:
randomlanguage wrote:
I guess I'm thinking the physical living plant could not survive. All of the water in the cells would have frozen, the cell walls ruptured...
And by space I mean the vacuum of space.
So Cappy Bo wouldn't have survived outside of the spaceship.

Nothing would have frozen just from exposure. Remember that vacuum is an insulator, astronauts have more to worry about disposing of excess heat than from the cold. Things do freeze in space eventually without a heat source (which the Sun should be sufficient here), but that would take a long time. My first assumption when I saw the dead plant was magic, or the lack thereof. Schlock just explained that magic doesn't work and we know that was a magic plant, so maybe that's why it died.

I'm also guessing the lack of magic explains the death of Cappy-Bo and the (fate?) spiders. Although, since Cappy-Bo has his own anti-magic field, you would think Cappy-Bo would have killed the spiders anyway if they need magic to survive. I don't know of any actual experiments, but I doubt space would kill a plant immediately. The vacuum should be a decent insulator, and they don't store large pockets of gases or have blood under pressure like animals. I think plants usually have water evaporate from them (to drive the suction of water from the ground by their roots), and that should happen faster in space (due to lower pressure), so it might dry out, and there is radiation. And they do need some oxygen as well as carbon dioxide, so it would eventually asphyxiate (or whatever the equivalent is that plants do) I guess. But given that Cappy-Bo was already abnormally hard to kill, I'm guessing lack of magic is the primary factor here.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:57 pm 
Zillatain wrote:
Whelp, Cappy Bo didn't take the vacuum of space all that well.
kansaichris wrote:
I could be wrong, but it looks like that book was written by Sin'Thea La'Mort!
The part we can see, most definitely looks like the book we saw before
The way the star looks on the spine gets me, because in context the book seems like the real deal, but instead of Donald Duck joining the Pythagorean Society or something, it’s like, “and I put a sticker on it!”

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:32 pm 
FullMetalArchivist wrote:
But given that Cappy-Bo was already abnormally hard to kill, I'm guessing lack of magic is the primary factor here.

Ah yes! That makes much more sense in our context.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:33 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Zillatain wrote:
Whelp, Cappy Bo didn't take the vacuum of space all that well.
Ah, I forgot that she put Cappy Bo inside her spacesuit. So it wasn't vacuum but lack of magic like others have said. If not that, then it was probably her boobs smooshing Cappy.

The real question though, is what's with all the dead spiders? Well actually, I have an idea what Pete is trying to represent with it that, but that would be spec.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:54 am 
Yes. There is absolutely no reason to think those are the actual fate spiders.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:39 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: bluecloakgirl
AOL: bluecloakedgirl
I got the impression from the whole 'soul dragged back in time' episode that Gwynn's soul was completely tainted by the Bug and she had seen signs in herself (canceled out by Cappy Bo) that she wasn't entirely herself all the time. Hence why she stayed in his penumbra but kept its size down to mostly herself.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:35 pm 
Honest question here, what are those dead spiders around Cappy Bo?
Why are they there, what is their significance?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:06 pm 
Marscaleb wrote:
Honest question here, what are those dead spiders around Cappy Bo?
Why are they there, what is their significance?

We don't know their significance for sure yet, but presence of spiders in the strip often remind us of the fate spiders.

There is a bit of theorizing here and here in the spec forums.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:59 am 
Questions on plants surviving in a vacuum:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... ty-radish/
So, if Cappy-Bo is mightier than a radish, he would be fine... (but I also agree, he was probably in Gwynn's suit, and never exposed, I just thought it was cool someone did the experiment)

garyfritz wrote:
I don't understand why Gwynn going back frees PoopyPants. He is trapped by the Book, not by Cappy Bo. He would still be trapped by the Book if Gwynn returns to Earth.

When Gwynn decided to keep Cappy-bo, she implied it was to help keep the book's (bug's) powers over her in check. She was balancing the risk of a Husk based demise of the plant vs a bug based one.
Recall her burying ZHOAS? Her refuge to silence PoopyPants was Captain Botanical.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:37 am 
Hm, good point. I forgot that she still has to fight PP taking over her mind.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:37 am 
Adding reference point to Gwynn kinda loosing her control over PoopyPants and her need for Cappy-Bo to control it:
http://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?cha ... 2015-06-10

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions