Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:55 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Thursday has a multi-part story for you. It was going to tell you this (true) story before, but decided against it. So why is it telling you now, you might ask? Because it now has a new updated ending that just begs for it to be told.

Part 2:
Spoiler: show
Missed Part One? Go here.

Okay, let's recap shall we? The human lost his phone, got a new one, then got his old one back as well. Things are good, but things could still be better. Just be sure to read the fine print first...

So after having the new phone for a time being, there was one thing he didn't like. The cost of the monthly plan Provider Z was charging him. He went to them so see about getting a different plan. Unfortunately, having gotten a new phone, he was locked into the current plan until the phone was paid off. Not having the money to do that at the time, he talked with his mate and came up with a way of getting around that.

Provider Y was always advertising how their network was just as good as Z's. Y's plans were cheaper than what the humans were currently paying. Also the most important thing was that Y would take the new phone and pay it off, then give them a different brand new phone in place of that other "new" phone. Then on top of that, he was given 30 days to change back to Z's service if Y's was not as good as advertised and get their trade-in back.

The network worked just as well as the previous one --but cheaper-- so the humans were happy. Well, for a couple of week, until a major difference between the networks reared its ugly head...or I really should say that it didn't rear its head.

The humans have a cabin near a lake about an hours drive from where they live that they are fixing up usually on the weekends. They plan on moving there when they retire. It's a nice little place (disclaimer: I've never seen it), but they discovered that they have absolutely no reception of Y's network at this location. They'd gotten a perfectly good connection to Provider Z's network, but Y's did not exist at this location at all.

After trying to decide what to do about this, they finally decided to drop Y and go back to Z. I mean, it had only been around two weeks since they switched, so well within the 30 days to change back. Sounds easy and straight forward doesn't it? Ha!

First thing, they store only holds the phones that are traded in for a week, then they are sent out to be either be resold or recycled. There was no possible way to get the phone back and they would not let them keep the new phone if they left without paying it in full. Second, they will only pay off the phone from the other provider after thirty ONE days have passed. So since he could not pay the entire phone off at once nor be without a phone, the humans decided to stay with Provider Y and have no reception at the cabin.

Well, until at least 31 days had passed that is. Then they went back to Provider Z to see what could be done. They found that they were away for long enough that they could get a new plan that was cheaper than what they had with them before this switching debacle AND Provider Z would pay off their phone from Provider Y while also giving them a new phone. So they went with that and everyone involved were all happy in the end.

Well, everyone was happy for a few months or so...

To be continued...
Part 1

----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to vote EACH day.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:05 am 
so... chaz cannot permanently kill the kusasharis.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:14 am 
Well now you've done it, Schlock. You should have known better than to intimidate someone who can come back from the dead and be three places at once!

Last edited by kansaichris on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:17 am 
tube_rat wrote:

One of them was killed by a knife.. the other was killed when Chaz was not yet activated. So, that remains to be seen.

I can see why she's extremely mad right now.

That was the equation!
Existence!
Survival must cancel out programming.l

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:20 am 
Called it!

Also: Neat story, Thursday.

Also also: This is gonna be F-U-N to watch. Cannot wait for the next "present tense" strip! Yow!

Last edited by Kesandru on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:24 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
If you stab the ventriloquist dummy, you don't kill the ventriloquist. All you've done is stab a puppet.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:28 am 
I know there have been strips with nudity (nothing showing), but is this the most risque of the lot?

Also, the cloning tech seems to be similar to what we saw with Oasis. It still remains to be seen why Kusari is a finite resource while Oasis seems to be less so.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:39 am 
On second thought Kusari, kill them all. Schlock isn't the only one who needs to go.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:40 am 
uglyface2 wrote:
It still remains to be seen why Kusari is a finite resource while Oasis seems to be less so.

Ever since we got to see the Oasis clones inside the rebirth facility, I've been under the impression that Oasis is a finite resource, too. She may have far more clones than Kusari, but it's not clear to me that she is able to generate more.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:48 am 
No one ever said that Oasis was infinite. It seems like many people assumed that was in contrast to Oasis, but when Schlock mentioned that Kusari was a finite resource, Oasis wasn't involved at all. He was just complaining that she died because, even though they could get a new one, he didn't want to waste the finite supply. Any assumption that Oasis had an infinite supply was just that - an assumption.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:08 am 
I like how Oasis' chamber is all crazy and disorderly whereas Kusari's is obviously made for efficiency. The difference between an artist bringing their passion to life, the end product evolves within the process, versus the sterilized mass production of that original artist's creation.

IE: The copy may be improved over the original, but it'll always be missing that certain spark without the emotion backing it's existence.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:25 am 
ramoss wrote:
tube_rat wrote:

One of them was killed by a knife.. the other was killed when Chaz was not yet activated. So, that remains to be seen.

Well, if you compare Kron's death to Oasis stabbing Kusari, on the one hand, they seem similar enough that Kusari should have activated the sword when it stabbed her. On the other hand, the bloody blade sticking out of Kusari looks unactivated compared to how it looks in the next panel (or maybe just really thickly covered in blood?), while the part of the blade sticking out of Kron's chest has a distinctly activated look.

So... I guess I still feel like killing one of her bodies won't kill 'her,' whatever that is. But you could make a case that that's not for sure.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:34 am 
I'll be honest and say that I don't mind Kusari/Sasha fanservice.

The two do look annoyed in that last panel though. I can guess what'll happen next.

Hmm, both Kusari/Sasha units haven't gone through the shower, clothing and weapons stations that Oasis would have by this point. Also, they seem to have different breathing and feeding tube arrangements from Oasis.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:39 am 
All last week I was expecting a "year in the life of a villain" style flashback.

One hour isn't so bad, although god knows how many strips Pete can stretch an hour out to be.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:15 am 
Has it really been an hour since Kusari "died" in space? My rough timeline of events is:

If I understand this timeline correctly—and if the clones on Earth were released from their chambers when the clones in space were killed—a significant amount of time must have passed since the Musky 5 was incapacitated. In that case, do Torg, Riff, and Oasis even have an hour's worth of oxygen in their suits? Or are the events in today's strip happening in the future?

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions