Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:48 pm 
migB wrote:
I think Torg have heard the explanations about "if you are travelling in empty space, far from planets on top of a spaceship and jump, you will travel through space forever".

Well, he and Riff do have experience high-fiving in a zero-g environment (space).

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:56 pm 
slightlylooney wrote:
I wonder how Oasis figured out that Torg was nicely balanced for throwing.
I think we have to go back to 1999.

slightlylooney wrote:
Like others, I really am liking Oasis's new personality. And I have to say that she sounds like she would be a fun date.
"Well, I'm with you fellas." I think she's up to some next-generation flirting here.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:11 am 
Growler wrote:
slightlylooney wrote:
I wonder how Oasis figured out that Torg was nicely balanced for throwing.
I think we have to go back to 1999.

I still get a kick out of the following day's comic with the whole "If you were a real villain.." and "tie you to a chair and blind you with a pen-light?" exchange..

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:17 am 
migB wrote:
zhecht wrote:
Lord Golbez wrote:
Doesn't he float off into space forever even if she doesn't miss? Wait! How is the guy with the gun avoiding floating off into space forever?

If neither Torg nor the ship exert any thrust after separation, they'll both return to the same point after one orbit.

Good point! If they are in orbit, the "flow in space forever" doesn't count. Unless he moves at supersonic speed, Torg will stay in orbit, just a slightly different one. And even return to meet the ship (assuming the throw is perpendicular to the direction of travel).

I think Torg have heard the explanations about "if you are travelling in empty space, far from planets on top of a spaceship and jump, you will travel through space forever".

Torg IS moving at supersonic speed, relative to the surface of the Earth. Relative to York, not so much.
Although, really, supersonic is meaningless is space. No appreciable gas envelope, no supersonic. Mach is the speed of sound in a gas. Missing part of that in orbit. Even L.E.O. doesn't have enough gas to speak of, to present a Mach number.
It's all relative. Yes, he'll want to move as fast as possible relative to York, so he doesn't have time to bring the PIK Rifle to bear and fire before Torg can open his suit with Chaz.

That was close. I almost specced! Glad I caught myself and moved it...

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:55 am 
Dilvish wrote:
Torg IS moving at supersonic speed, relative to the surface of the Earth. Relative to York, not so much.
Although, really, supersonic is meaningless is space. No appreciable gas envelope, no supersonic. Mach is the speed of sound in a gas. Missing part of that in orbit. Even L.E.O. doesn't have enough gas to speak of, to present a Mach number.
It's all relative. Yes, he'll want to move as fast as possible relative to York, so he doesn't have time to bring the PIK Rifle to bear and fire before Torg can open his suit with Chaz.

That was close. I almost specced! Glad I caught myself and moved it...

I know, I am a master of science with physics as my major.
So saying "supersonic" was just my shorthand for this:
Torg would have to change his current velocity by an extreme amount (achievable by burning a LOT of rocket fuel or other explosives) to break out of earth orbit. And then he would probably still be in sun orbit.
He would need a lot less change in velocity to simply enter an orbit that would cause him to re-enter the atmosphere. And that require careful manoeuvring and a heat shield. Without those two, stuff tend to burn up on re-entry - even before it can splat at the end of the 100 km drop. So dead, but not floating in space.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:21 am 
Bradster wrote:
I still get a kick out of the following day's comic with the whole "If you were a real villain.." and "tie you to a chair and blind you with a pen-light?" exchange..

It's a classic line!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:21 am 
Quote:
I know, I am a master of science with physics as my major.
So saying "supersonic" was just my shorthand for this:
Torg would have to change his current velocity by an extreme amount (achievable by burning a LOT of rocket fuel or other explosives) to break out of earth orbit. And then he would probably still be in sun orbit.
He would need a lot less change in velocity to simply enter an orbit that would cause him to re-enter the atmosphere. And that require careful manoeuvring and a heat shield. Without those two, stuff tend to burn up on re-entry - even before it can splat at the end of the 100 km drop. So dead, but not floating in space.

I meant no offense.
I probably wouldn't have said anything if you had said Delta-V. That I understand in this context :)
Again, everything is relative to something.

By the way, the only thing I ever saw that was able to re-enter without a heat shield: Burt Rutan's Spaceship-1. It used a Falling Leaf type of re-entry. MUCH reduced heat. That's why he was able to turn it around and launch it the next day.
He did laugh in Nay-Say's face, literally, as well, as they said it couldn't be done. He laughed in the Nay-Say's rep's faces as he went by, towing his bird with a pickup. Off the Shelf ftw!
GO BURT!

But yeah, much less Delta-V needed to start dropping orbit, and once even a little atmosphere starts grabbing at something, it's going in. Not pretty, as a general rule...

Can't wait to see Oasis throw Torg. Will she spin him, like a knife spins, or throw him straight, like a spear? I hate to imagine the inside of his helmet if she spins him... :D

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:05 pm 
Dilvish wrote:
By the way, the only thing I ever saw that was able to re-enter without a heat shield: Burt Rutan's Spaceship-1. It used a Falling Leaf type of re-entry. MUCH reduced heat. That's why he was able to turn it around and launch it the next day.

No matter how you reenter, it's a question of power: if you want to shed the kinetic energy of a 2-ton payload going at orbital speed, that's 1/2*(2000 kg)*(8000 m/s)^2… which comes out to 64 gigajoules. That will be expended in about half an hour. In other words, you have about 35 megawatts of heat coming into your craft, which is about the power output of a nuclear reactor.

What's actually happening is that the Spaceship-1 is not reentering from orbit; just from space. I can tell you from my Kerbal Space Program experience that it's somewhat survivable to do this.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:30 am 
Pied Typer wrote:
What's actually happening is that the Spaceship-1 is not reentering from orbit; just from space.

From wiki: The achievements of SpaceShipOne are more comparable to the X-15 than orbiting spacecraft like the Space Shuttle. Accelerating a spacecraft to orbital speed requires more than 60 times as much energy as accelerating it to Mach 3. It would also require an elaborate heat shield to safely dissipate that energy during re-entry.[1]

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions