Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:55 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
drachefly wrote:
Yeah, if the rules of the universe allow something like quantum entanglement to transmit information, then they're sufficiently different from quantum mechanics that they should get a different name.

Huh? I thought the whole point of Quantum Entanglement was that it transmitted information faster than light? Granted, you would of course know better than I, but a clarification wold be nice. (Doesn't have to be in this thread)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:19 pm 
"Know thyself. That is all I ask of you."

Just be yourself? What is that, anyway? For some CRAAAAAAZY reason, I don't get the impression that Dr Steve is happy to have his super orbital ninja robotic/cloned daughter growing up to be whatever she wants.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:03 pm 
randomlanguage wrote:
Wow! So much information!
Cow_k wrote:
So, uh... how often is it that a writer keeps you waiting this long and actually gives you a payoff that really knocks your socks off? Pete hid the breadcrumbs the whole way, but we still didn't get it while in the end giving us something both satisfying and pretty awesome.

Sorry if I'm gushing, but this has to be one of the best payoffs in Sluggy history. Thanks for carrying us this long, Pete! Bravo!

Exactly! And leaves room for renewed speculation and new mysteries!

A prominent one being why Dr. Steve felt the need to engage in all the tricky psychological stuff and subliminal this-and-that for what Schlock thinks is just a meat-puppet.

Also, AOL lol.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:03 pm 
Dodger77 wrote:
drachefly wrote:
Yeah, if the rules of the universe allow something like quantum entanglement to transmit information, then they're sufficiently different from quantum mechanics that they should get a different name.

Huh? I thought the whole point of Quantum Entanglement was that it transmitted information faster than light? Granted, you would of course know better than I, but a clarification wold be nice. (Doesn't have to be in this thread)

You're thinking of quantum teleportation, and the media usually misinterprets the whole "faster than light" thing.

Basically: you know the Schrödinger's cat thing, where you have a cat and a mechanism that will either kill it or spare it based on random chance, and it's both dead and alive? Quantum entanglement would be if you put 2 cats in different boxes, and the mechanism instead chooses which cat to kill and spares the other one.

Quantum teleportation would be if we open one box, and leave the other closed: if the cat inside is alive, then the other instantly becomes dead; if the cat inside is dead, then the other instantly becomes alive. This will hold true no matter where you bring the 2 cats.

The unobserved cat's transformation happens instantly without a speed-of-light delay, but whether the cat you observed is dead or alive is assigned randomly when you open the box. Someone opening the other box would know how your cat is doing, but you can't send bits to them like this.

You could make unbreakable crypto with enough cats, but you're not avoiding a speed-of-light delay with this.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:40 pm 
So . . .
Kinked-Up Sad AOL Rigged Identity?
Killer Universal Special Agent Roaming Incognito?
Klandestine Unit Sexy Assassin Robot Incarnate?
Kissable Upstairs Satellite And Riff's Intimate?

:sasha:

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:31 pm 
slightlylooney wrote:
I'm having a hard time making out what Oasis is doing in that last panel. Looking at the first line however, I wouldn't be surprised if she has burst into tears.

The comment about Kusari running off AOL sounds like a twisted joke. Could they have any link with those free AOL CDs I kept getting at the start of the century?

Oh, and I suppose I should be glad that I guessed three out of the five words in the acronym right: Organic(ally), Augmented and Incendiary. Though those were the most obvious ones.

Zillatain wrote:
Obsolete Analog Switches In System

I like this one.

I like it too. My memory of AOL CD's was all of the poeple that would save them up and use them as Holiday decorations. Happy New Year!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:59 pm 
GUIGUI wrote:
Don't know if that strip was posted in yesterday's thread, but all of those year and I had always thought what Dr. Steve was saying there:
http://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?cha ... 1999-10-15
was just insane rambling.
Quote:
A controlled mind made human

It never really made sense until now.

It look like in his last days, Steve wasn't completely Out for Lunch.

Why is it when I look at that comic, all I can think is "Torg has Fred Flintstone arms"?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:05 am 
Maybe I'm an idiot, but google suggests that the average telecom satellite is 36,000 km from earth. That's 0.12 light seconds. That's a quarter of a second round trip latency.

Assuming that the computer that is Oasis's brain is infinitely fast then she'd roughly match the average human being's reaction time - for visual stimuli. She's be responding to sounds nearly half as fast as a real human being - reaction time of about 0.15 seconds.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:16 am 
This may be the beginning of a long post. :kiki: Ok Oasis is what exactly is what we are confronted with. A machine. A satellite using a suspected quantum entanglement concept of control over a living being made out of carbon and water(and other materials). We are also told now that Oasis the robot(a term I am going to use for purposes of explanation but I do not believe she is a robot) is simply a receptacle of said machine for the purposes of interaction.

Now with all of that said, There seems to have been a real human young girl that was brought into this scheme but her ability as a pyrotechnic was either made up or was created for the purpose of the scheme. Now in order to utilize a satellite to make fires from space to ground in the proximity of one person moving around on the ground would be extraordinary. People can move around a lot and any satellite would have difficulty being in any precise location to set a fire at a given time depending on the several factors. One is the orbit. Another is the telemetry. Another is the weather. The last is command and control(comms). Now Oasis has set fires and if this is because of the capability of a satellite or the living robot(maybe android works better here) I think is still undetermined.

So what was Dr Steve up to? The ultimate assassin? A human who can travel around the world and line up a secret satellite at a specific time and by simple proximity and thought start a massive fire in the best place to cause murder on a large scale? Is this the O.A.S.I.S project? Seems unlikely but may contain some truth.

What else was Dr Steve trying to do all those years ago?

"Know thyself"

Torg stumbles on this project of Dr Steve and what does this scientist do? He makes Oasis try and learn what it means to fall in love by brute force. I suspect this would have an opposing result but Dr Steve had full control over his subject and Oasis followed that order.

Why create a satellite of immense power and then try and teach it love? In a rather cumbersome way Ill grant you ;)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:37 pm 
eldion wrote:
Interesting. However, we still don’t know why Oasis is one of the few forces that operates outside of the Web.

http://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?cha ... 2009-04-17

We also haven't seen Torg destroy Oasis (per the Fate Spider's prediction).

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:24 am 
HOLY POOP! My mind is blown! I've been waiting years for this and Pete did NOT disappoint :D :D :D also omg poor Kusari, an old AOL account XD All she can feel is envy haha. I dunno about that but I don't wanna spec, but too funny!

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions