Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:19 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
well, here's the thing... "Forget Torg" is really powerful. The entirety of the last 20 years for Oasis have been wrapped around Torg. (like 4-5 in universe. i know) "Forget Torg" Wipes out her drive for that entire time.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:44 pm 
Yes, it's gonna be sad if Oasis totally loses Torg. And I suspect it's not going to be good for Torg.

Aithiopika wrote:
I'm not going to speculate, but I am going to wonder why Dr. Steve didn't just say that all those years ago if it is as simple as that.

Because shortly after telling Oasis to "love Torg," he tried to shoot Torg -- and Oasis crushed his throat (confirmed in the last frame here) and they both burned in the lab.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:59 pm 
We don't know if "Forget about Torg" is in Roberts' voice. It would just like Pete to have that be Schlock's voice telling Roberts to forget about Torg, and something happening right before Roberts can repeat it.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:03 pm 
Pete?! What the...?

(You're just mad you didn't think of it first.)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:21 pm 
gregnier wrote:
well, here's the thing... "Forget Torg" is really powerful. The entirety of the last 20 years for Oasis have been wrapped around Torg. (like 4-5 in universe. i know) "Forget Torg" Wipes out her drive for that entire time.

Exactly! It makes me nervous...

I've always wondered how long it's been "in-universe." So far, this year in real life has been ~ a week for Torg etc.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:22 pm 
"Oasis, forget Torg"

"Who was I supposed to forget? Oh, yeah, "Forget Torg"

etc...

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:54 pm 
"Forget Torg" is pretty ambiguous. "Forget Torg ever existed?" "Forget Torg right this second?"

Kusari has already shown she has the ability to rules lawyer her orders a little bit when she wants, even when she knows the spirit of the order would be different. Oasis isn't exactly going to cooperate, so if she gets to choose, at all, she's going to choose the weakest version of that order she can, I would think.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:20 am 
AOL: Eagle299
This may be one of the saddest things to happen in the history of sluggy.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:09 am 
onigame wrote:
We don't know if "Forget about Torg" is in Roberts' voice. It would just like Pete to have that be Schlock's voice telling Roberts to forget about Torg, and something happening right before Roberts can repeat it.

Good point. Pete is the master of misdirection.

MerlinOfChaos wrote:
"Forget Torg" is pretty ambiguous. "Forget Torg ever existed?" "Forget Torg right this second?"

Kusari has already shown she has the ability to rules lawyer her orders a little bit when she wants, even when she knows the spirit of the order would be different. Oasis isn't exactly going to cooperate, so if she gets to choose, at all, she's going to choose the weakest version of that order she can, I would think.

Yet it seems to me that Oasis is wired pretty tightly by these commands. "Oasis, you're as giddy as a school girl! You love Torg!" She couldn't choose to love Torg in a relaxed way. It was full-on love and it took years for her to even acknowledge that it was an outside command that controlled her. It's really sad, actually. Just as it's sad to lose it, since she never had any other direction to follow.

Hopefully this will all end with a new command: "Oasis, you want to be a ballerina!" That would suit her fine.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:03 pm 
Just a fun note-- a brain does not contain memories. It's not like memory in a computer.

A brain is made up of memories (among other things). What do you think would happen if you removed memories?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:04 pm 
Wow, so many reactions. I got really solemn and sad at that last panel -- until I was reminded that Pete may have just pulled a "TV nuke" on us.
randomlanguage wrote:
And I like that Torg takes the joke just a little father.

I choose to believe you did that on purpose.

Also, is Oasis going to be stuck singing Cee Lo Green for the rest of her life?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:58 am 
Spirantz wrote:
Just a fun note-- a brain does not contain memories. It's not like memory in a computer.

A brain is made up of memories (among other things). What do you think would happen if you removed memories?

But the implication is that Oasis is an artificial intelligence - or something akin to it... If you had a robot with 100% artificial intelligence - can it really forget? How does it fill in 'gaps'? And then we can ask what difference there is between an Oasis and an AI...

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:41 pm 
swmartian wrote:
Spirantz wrote:

But the implication is that Oasis is an artificial intelligence - or something akin to it... If you had a robot with 100% artificial intelligence - can it really forget? How does it fill in 'gaps'? And then we can ask what difference there is between an Oasis and an AI...

We’ll have to wait and see? I still got the impression that she’s completely biological. Just has some bizarre magitech connection.

Closest we can currently compare is via (computer) neural networks. We can essentially ‘overpower’ and rewrite previous memories in this regard. Or hide those previous memories with an incredibly low chance of activation. But it’s pretty hard to actually cherry pick and remove a memory.

... but I’m no expert on that subject...

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:46 pm 
I too am sad to see Chen go! He was fun! Also the "what the..." cracked me up. Uh oh forget about Torg!?

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions