Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:49 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
swmartian wrote:
Zillatain wrote:
Complaint of the day...
Sure hope we will get editing control back to our forum profiles, (or for some reason I can't find it). It keeps displaying my Yahoo Mesanger ID under my avatar and I haven't used/checked that thing in years and I would like to remove it. I suspect other members have similar things they would like to change.
On the forum page, at the top, just above "Board Index >>"... blah, blah is a line in small print that says: "User Control Panel Forum Private messages [0] Members Search FAQ" Click on that first one (User Control Panel), and you should be able to figure it out from there...
I would of never thought to look there. After using it to send messages, change my Avatar, using it for Mod things about every day, various other things over the years, and clicking on every single link on every single page under "User Control Panel" a good 8 or 9 times now since the change over...Nope, would have never guessed. So I'll go through and click on everything a 10th time then...

No luck. I can't figure out how to change/remove "Interests, Occupation, Yahoo Messenger, and Location" under my Profile. Would someone please tell me exactly where I can find this? I would be extremely grateful. Oh and to be clear, I'm referring to the forum Profile not the site wide Profile which doesn't affect the forum at all nor can anyone else see (except for their avatar).

swmartian (continued) wrote:
Your original complaint of the day - which I had come back in to reply to - was about the 'useless'ness of the calendar.
No, the Profile complaint is the original. The calendar one was yesterday's complaint.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:27 pm 
garyfritz wrote:
Also see: at the time Torg thought Oasis was a robot. So at the time he was willing to believe in a mecha/computer implementation.

I'm not sure how much stock I put in early Torg's ability to assess what was and wasn't realistic back then. What's more concerning is that Riff entertained the notion, but if he had doubts there's no reason he necessarily would have shared them.

RCG wrote:
The Digbots are futuretech, and Mecha Easter Bunny is Holiday Godtech.

That's a good point. Actually come to think of it, the Mecha Easter Bunny and Dr. Crabtree were kind of similar to each other, and both had a quality of starting with an existing individual and making them into a machine... interesting.

Lord Golbez wrote:
alphacow wrote:
No spec here, but the theory they're putting forward in this strip can't be right. We've seen Oasis come back from the dead immediately, on the same location, in the same body. Unless that particular headshot didn't kill her, or unless that memory is wrong, or unless bla bla bla whatever, but that's some serious Occam's Razor stuff...

I don't think she was back from the dead there, but I do think it leaves some explaining to do.

Her awareness of what happened after she died is mysterious for sure. Her immediate reappearance is reasonable given Chen's explanation since Podunkton is close to Dr. Steve's base lab and therefore the rebirth facility.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:32 pm 
Nice point, Torg! Keep up that questioning skepticism!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:23 pm 
alphacow wrote:
No spec here, but the theory they're putting forward in this strip can't be right. We've seen Oasis come back from the dead immediately, on the same location, in the same body. Unless that particular headshot didn't kill her, or unless that memory is wrong, or unless bla bla bla whatever, but that's some serious Occam's Razor stuff...

No, they found a dead body in Straw's burned out car as I recall. It wasn't the same body. The problem here is that the Rebirth facility couldn't have been too close to that small town could it? Maybe, I think Oasis may have been killed and that town was just near enough for her to settle down there. I wish there a map showing where the rebirth facility was in regards to that town and Dr. Steve's lab.

Spoiler: show
That being said, how sure are we that this is the ONLY Rebirth Facility? Maybe there are Rebirth Facilities all over the world... She would just respawn at which ever one was the closest. Weird that she can see through the eyes of a camera and her own dead bodies. Also creepy. Maybe she's also a technomancer.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:58 pm 
Thecommander369 wrote:
alphacow wrote:

No, they found a dead body in Straw's burned out car as I recall. It wasn't the same body. The problem here is that the Rebirth facility couldn't have been too close to that small town could it? Maybe, I think Oasis may have been killed and that town was just near enough for her to settle down there. I wish there a map showing where the rebirth facility was in regards to that town and Dr. Steve's lab.

That being said, how sure are we that this is the ONLY Rebirth Facility? Maybe there are Rebirth Facilities all over the world... She would just respawn at which ever one was the closest. Weird that she can see through the eyes of a camera and her own dead bodies. Also creepy. Maybe she's also a technomancer.

In this strip (http://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?cha ... 2008-12-15), Schlock basically says straight out that Oasis is hanging out in Podunkton because it is close to Dr. Steve's base lab, and thus to the rebirth facility (which is close to the new Hereti-Corp HQ, built on top of the remains of his lab). So it was probably very close to the town.

Good point! I hadn't thought of that. On the other hand, that would require more resources and travel, and present some risks... But when Oasis died in the hospital, her reappearance was also pretty fast.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:41 am 
Oasis didn't return quite immediately in Podunkton, either. Strom had time to put her body in the trunk, drive to the police station, and have an extended shootout with Tod.

At the same time, we know Oasis can cover large distances in forested terrain quickly (remember she asked Torg what took him so long) so I find it totally reasonable that as long as the rebirth facility is within a few miles of Podunkton, an angry Oasis (remember Katie is threatened) would come roaring out, skip the shower and run at top speed, while still processing her memories, which clearly are jumbled after a rebirth.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:44 pm 
Zillatain wrote:
swmartian wrote:
Zillatain wrote:
Complaint of the day...
Sure hope we will get editing control back to our forum profiles
On the forum page, at the top, just above "Board Index >>"... blah, blah is a line in small print that says: "User Control Panel Forum Private messages [0] Members Search FAQ" Click on that first one (User Control Panel), and you should be able to figure it out from there...

No luck. I can't figure out how to change/remove "Interests, Occupation, Yahoo Messenger, and Location" under my Profile. Would someone please tell me exactly where I can find this? I would be extremely grateful. Oh and to be clear, I'm referring to the forum Profile not the site wide Profile which doesn't affect the forum at all nor can anyone else see (except for their avatar).

When you click on User Control Panel, the page you land on has a menu on the left hand side called "Options". Look past all the "Manage... blah, blah, blah" there, and you should see an option simply called "Profile". When I click on that it takes me right to the "Edit Profile" page - if it doesn't for you, there should now be an "Edit Profile" option in that left-hand menu. The odd thing about this "edit" page is that some of the options are white and some of the options are gray. I only had one item there (under location), which it let me delete and reput in. Yahoo is listed under the same gray area of the profile, so you should be able to delete it? And hit Submit of course... There is also a Reset button that does not seem to do anything...?

Zillatain wrote:
swmartian (continued) wrote:
Your original complaint of the day - which I had come back in to reply to - was about the 'useless'ness of the calendar.
No, the Profile complaint is the original. The calendar one was yesterday's complaint.

LOL. OK, so I guess we're both blind - I swear I looked back there before posting this... Oh well...

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:35 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
swmartian wrote:
When you click on User Control Panel, the page you land on has a menu on the left hand side called "Options". Look past all the "Manage... blah, blah, blah" there, and you should see an option simply called "Profile". When I click on that it takes me right to the "Edit Profile" page - if it doesn't for you, there should now be an "Edit Profile" option in that left-hand menu.
Yes, "Edit Profile" is what I'm trying to find, which I remember from the previous forum. Here is what I see when I go to options and click on Profile:
Options
Overview
» Edit avatar
» Edit account settings
» Manage “Remember Me” login keys
Board preferences
Private messages
Usergroups
Friends & Foes
As you can see, I do not have an "Edit Profile" option, but you do... It just takes me to the Edit Avatar menu. I've checked every single thing under Options, multiple times. So something strange is happening here where you have this option but I don't. No way I even remotely figured that was happening.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:14 pm 
It appears that the phpbb user group permissions which were imported from sluggy.net are a little awkwardly set. swmartian had edit profile permissions because they were set to Yes for the POOP group. I've set edit profile permissions to Yes for the Registered Users default group, so you (and everyone!) should now see the options in your UCP, Zillatain.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:34 pm 
SO... Oasis might actually sort be electronic after all!? ahhh! I like the little shower, dry off get dressed grab knives station!

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions